Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote

Have they shown you, or have you seen examples from previous events?
No.

I'm trying to search the web/google for big game fishing images / webpages with images but seems nothing good shows up

09-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
Damn Brit

Ginger, as in - the ginger you use for cooking and making drinks. It is a natural remedy for nausea.
09-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Ginger, as in - the ginger you use for cooking and making drinks. It is a natural remedy for nausea.
Really ? always learning

How we take it ? how much we take it ?
09-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
No.

I'm trying to search the web/google for big game fishing images / webpages with images but seems nothing good shows up
Try to find some archives of Salt Water Sportsman magazine

09-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Try to find some archives of Salt Water Sportsman magazine
On it

Thanks
09-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

A suggestion- if possible take a shorter trip on a charter fishing boat before this 2 day extraveganza. This will accomplish a few things. You will find out how prone to motion sickness you really are. You'll get to see how the action part of sportfishing really works and what the crew and angler do when a big fish is "on". You'll have the opportunity to play with lenses before the big trip. Basically if you've never done this before a short trip (1/2 day?) would help more than anything to prepare you for the great adventure.
Please understand that I'm not trying to be negative , just realistic with the next comments. If you are prone to sea sickness on a 2 day open ocean trip and the "Blue Water Flu " gets you first you'll think you are going to die then you'll wish you had. Dramamine works better if you get it in your system the day before you go out. There are accu-pressure wrist bands that are supposed to help. If you get sick stay out of the cabin , fresh air is good. Never try to read on a moving boat. If you are one who gets motion sickness badly just say no to this trip, 2 days of misery for yourself and those around you isn't worth it. Generally speaking once you leave the dock there is no turning back.
Best of Luck , wish I could be on the boat!
By the way you still haven't said much about what type and size the boat is and where you'll be fishing?

Last edited by seacapt; 09-04-2009 at 11:46 AM.
09-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really ? always learning

How we take it ? how much we take it ?
There is ginger ale, ginger candy, ginger tea. I don't know how available ginger is where you are though. Not every store here has ginger candy, but they usually do have ginger tea. As for ginger ale, most of it is artificially flavored, but if you are lucky you might be able to find "real" ginger ale. I believe you can also buy it in pill form, although I have never actually done that.

09-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
A suggestion- if possible take a shorter trip on a charter fishing boat before this 2 day extraveganza. This will accomplish a few things. You will find out how prone to motion sickness you really are. You'll get to see how the action part of sportfishing really works and what the crew and angler do when a big fish is "on". You'll have the opportunity to play with lenses before the big trip. Basically if you've never done this before a short trip (1/2 day?) would help more than anything to prepare you for the great adventure.
Please understand that I'm not trying to be negative , just realistic with the next comments. If you are prone to sea sickness on a 2 day open ocean trip and the "Blue Water Flu " gets you first you'll think you are going to die then you'll wish you had. Dramamine works better if you get it in your system the day before you go out. There are accu-pressure wrist bands that are supposed to help. If you get sick stay out of the cabin , fresh air is good. Never try to read on a moving boat. If you are one who gets motion sickness badly just say no to this trip, 2 days of misery for yourself and those around you isn't worth it. Generally speaking once you leave the dock there is no turning back.
Best of Luck , wish I could be on the boat!
By the way you still haven't said much about what type and size the boat is and where you'll be fishing?
I'm prone to seasick but I travel a lot on boats for whale watching, dolphins or sail (or even ferries).
For instance, 15 days ago I took a whale watching day with k7+da300 + my accu-pressure wrist bands, great day no sea sickness and the sea was not very calm.

It was due to some of my images from sperm whales, dolphins etc that I got this invitation (even "if I shoot Pentax" )

Last monday as I already mentioned I travel with the same k7+da300 combo, just forgot my accu-pressure wrist bands and got sick like a dog but I managed to shoot what I want and was requested.
Of course it's not very good to my spirit and body .

I understand you are being realistic and you are completely right but I'm not going to loose this opportunity due to that possibility of sea sickness.

I'm going with accu-pressure wrist bands + Dramamine or ginger (trying to find some kind of ginger product here.) I will prepare as much as possible.

There is not a chance to try the boats before. Already asked And they didn't even release the size of the boats or the names.
The event will be on the weekend of 12/13 September and there will be a briefing on the 11 at night to meet the crews etc.
We start by Saturday really early early morning (kind of still night...)
Ten boats competing on the challenge and 1 photographer on eight of them.
Four pro canon "photodogs" (5D / 40D/ 50D), three nikon (D700 / D300) and myself on Pentax(k200d/k7).

seacapt again, many thanks for all the insight because I really want to be prepared (what is possible) because I think I can/will do good.

Event will be here, Between this two islands in the Azores Islands.
azores islands - Google Maps
09-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
There is ginger ale, ginger candy, ginger tea. I don't know how available ginger is where you are though. Not every store here has ginger candy, but they usually do have ginger tea. As for ginger ale, most of it is artificially flavored, but if you are lucky you might be able to find "real" ginger ale. I believe you can also buy it in pill form, although I have never actually done that.
I'm looking around to check what is available
09-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #25
Damn Brit

I'm looking around to check what is available
You could also just take some ginger root with you and chew on it.
Whatever form you take, make sure you take some about an hour before you put to sea.

Another solution that works for some people are the bands that you wear around your wrist. You
should be able to find them in a drug store or a tourist shop that sells travel goods.
09-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sea sickness

I am not prone to sea sickness. My father was a commercial fisherman. However, anyone is prone to motion sickness.

The sickest I ever got was when I was out with Dad and the running lights went out at dusk. The connections that had failed were on a panel located a narrow walk way to starboard of 800 pounds of hot engine with exterior moving parts (the valve train - an old engine, obviously), and the wind was blowing the exhaust back into the engine room. So here are the things that cause motion sickness:
  • Looking at something close to you that moves to and fro. Away and closer is the worst, but side to side can be bad as well.
  • Heated areas. Freezing is a good antidote - you forget about sickness when you shiver violently.
  • Confined areas with no horizon visible.
  • Foul smells/foul air (not excluding other victims of motion sickness).
To avoid motion sickness,
  • Be outdoors in the fresh air. Stay upwind of any smelly things whenever possible.
  • Watch the horizon whenever you don't have to look at something else. Take a horizon break as frequently as you have to.
  • Don't lean on anything. That moves you and adds to the misery. Be a seaman and stand on two widely spaced legs that are slightly bent to absorb the motion.
  • If needed take your medicine ahead of time - don't wait.
  • Do something to take your mind off it, such as concentrate on your camera and the shots.
That's my tuppence worth.
09-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just some general thoughts ...
  • At least several empty SD cards - I would think that in order to get 100 really good keepers you will need to shoot 1500 to 2000 shots - just a guess. Also, you are going to have to swap the cards at the worst possible time, so use the largest you have - the larger ones to the K7. If there is a break in action with say 25 to 50 shot to go, swap to a fresh card. Also, format each of the cards prior to going out. Also, put them back into their plastic case and put the write lock on them so they will not get mixed up with the empties. Keep the ones filled up in a different pocket - so you will not get them mixed up.
  • At least several batteries - for each camera. The camera is going to be on quite a bit, taking a lot of images, so I would think that you will only get a few hundred images (400) per battery. Bring the charger, and see if you can plug it into the boat somewhere, along with an extension cord - just incase there is only one plug, you can plug both battery charger types in at the same time. Remember it takes 2 hours to charge the batteries and maybe 45 minutes to deplete them shooting. Also, bring at least 2, if not 3 batteries per camera (K200 and K7). Also, if possible bring multiple battery chargers per cameras so that you can plug in ALL the batteries after the first day, during the night, since you are going to be physically worn out. Also, you will be getting up VERY early the next day.... Beg, borrow or steal extra batteries and their chargers from your friends before you go (label them so that they get back to the right parties).
  • You might see if a friend has a grip that can be borrowed - extra battery on line.
  • In order to increase the probability of getting a keeper, you might need to go to burst or continuous shooting, which will just burn up more SD cards and batteries.
  • On second thought dump the charger idea on the K200D, bring a LOT of CR3V or AA LI batteries.
  • Bring some flash, since you may be getting back in the evening or after dark.
  • Bring a lot of real Ginger Ale - you will need it for Sea Sickness - and go to the doctor and get the "patch".
  • Bring a laptop so after the first day you can spend at least an hour at the hotel downloading everything (emptying up the SD cards - while the batteries recharge) and going through the images to see what worked and what did not. More importantly - so that you can make changes to your technique on the second day - trying to correct for the problems from the first. Also, make sure that you get shots of everyone and that no one is left out, i.e., 1000 shots of one guy (catching all the fish) and 3 of the other guy (who keeps catching the empty beer cans).
  • On the 10-17 remember to vary where the bend is placed in the image. If you always have the horizon bent, it will get very boring. Try to keep the horizon flat and put the bend down at the bottom of the frame, it will be more natural looking that way, and the fisheye effect will be minimized (especially at 10mm) while the wide angle aspect will be maximized. Also, remember that the 10-17 has a field of view of 180 to 100 degrees wide. The 12-24 has a field of view of 100 to 60 degrees wide.
  • Take a few images of the boat captain and crew [in action] - as they may want to use them for advertising.

Here are some photos of swordfish fishing I came across..... they may help - they might not..

Good shooting....

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-06-2009 at 12:41 PM.
09-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
-- bait species may be flopping hard and throwing salt spray, blood, stomach contents, feces all around.
i swear, Ron, your post had me intrigued and nearly interested in becoming a fisherman...right up until that little sentence.
sounds like a few fraternity parties i attended in college.

ooh, wait, i may be interested again:

09-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #29
Pentaxian

as a guy very prone to motion sickness, i say definitely heed the great advice given thus far for prevention. Also, know that the more you are looking through a viewfinder, the more sickness you will experience...on a bumpy flight over the grand canyon, at some point, i had to stop looking into the viewfinder and just aim the camera more or less in the direction of the big canyon...then the pilot decided we'd do a barrel roll down to Hoover Dam for some close up shots...yaaaack!
09-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote

Nice little dolphin. I really like the way the photographer put the fish forward at a leading angle in the frame to make it look bigger and take your attention off the angler.Yeah Right!