Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The "How Did You Do That?" Question

The "How Did You Do That?" Question

I am often asked the question, "How Did You Do That?" I could very simply answer the question which I often do and the results that person gets isn't what he/she was expecting. If I talk about post production, yes the actions on the image will be as I recommended, but when asked about the results of a shoot, I more often than not get a disappointing, "it doesn't look like yours...!"

Now, I will not go in to a lengthly diatribe about what is required to put a shoot together, as I have covered that topic ad-infinitum in several of my articles. What I am trying to explain here will be quite difficult, but I will attempt to do so here.

Imagine a huge globe and that globe is the culmination of all of the information you have accumulated over the many years of experience you have acquired in your craft. You might wish to call it a brain, but for my purposes, let's call it a huge floating globe. All of the information is stored in that globe and inter connected and accessible at any moment in time. The speed at which the information is accessed is astounding. So much so, that you are often not aware of the process for how you collected all of the elements to get to the final output or finished product.

The more elements within the globe the more complex the output possibilities become. Let us call these elements in the globe "epiphany events". Epiphany Events are those events that occurred during a learning process that had a paradigm shifting effect on how you viewed your reality. These types of events will create a completely new subset of elements to draw from for future products creations, photos, music, dance, sports etc...

You are probably wondering where am I going with all of this. Well just hang in there for a while and I may just get to the point.

The more elements in your globe the more possible permutations and the more permutations the more potential elements that can be placed in to your globe for future use.

Now, what happens during the act of creation when some element that has not yet been added to your globe is presented to you? You get what most of us would call disorientation. The time it takes to integrate this element could be from a nano second to the complete rejection of that element, or worse yet the ignoring of it all together. It is often under those circumstances that some of the greatest creations occur and the epiphany happens. I like to call them, creative accidents.

When I am on a creative roll, I cannot recall all of the elements that are in action during the process until I take a break and stop to think about it for a moment. I don't know if any of you have ever thought about what is going on in your head during a photo shoot. The more elements in your globe the more complex the computations. You can never really be missing elements in your globe. You may have less or more, but there is no such thing as missing elements. Just less elements to choose from and what ever you create will be a direct reflection of the elements you had available to create what you did.

What I have retrospectively recalled in thinking about my own process, is that I am dealing with literally thousands of considerations during the act of creating an image that come to light so quickly that if I were to stop during the process and think about it, I would stall to a HALT.

It is never just the technique and it is never just the creation during the process. It is everything from thinking about the last time you cleaned your ears to is there enough fill light to I must try to stop being so self deprecating to I need to increase the speed of the Fan to get the hair moving a bit more.

Your random thoughts will effect which elements you access as well and those thoughts are often what trigger the brilliant idea. The reason so many of you out there are not getting what you want has a lot less to do with technique than allowing yourself to be open to the possibilities of allowing elements in to your globe that may give you the freedom to fly. I know that sound corny. But being creative is SO much more than the camera you use or all of that other stuff. I could show you what I did technically for a shoot and more often than not the results will not be satisfactory to you. Why? Because the elements I had to draw from are not as yet part of your Global Repository. Just to prove my point here. The other day I posted an image of a man on a park bench. Now, rather than presenting it horizontally, I presented in vertically, as it gave the impression of him being crucified. I would say that over 80% of the viewers could not handle looking at the image without crooking their heads to see it in a horizontal position. Now those that rejected it did not allow the "Element" to enter their globe. They will never see in another perspective until they let disorienting elements in to their globe. Those that did have added a new element and thus a new perspective for how to view "Reality".

The old "How did you do that?" question never really suffices. It can introduce new elements in to your globe, but they will NEVER be exactly like the formula of another persons Global Experience.

Now..."How did I do that?"

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/?p=1289

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by benjikan; 09-03-2009 at 05:41 AM.
09-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the kind of stuff that stimulates thinking and creativity.
Particularly with fashion photography you've shown how great shots go well beyond just technique and pose. You artistic flair is what sets you apart.

Thanks for sharing this insight.
09-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I'm probably totally wrong, but here is my guess.
If it is an all in one shot and not PP, I say multiple small spots for the triple shadow. I also guess that it's a long exposure and the small lights are mounted on something that was given a small move during the exposure.
If it's PP then I guess 5 layers; one for the model, three for the shadows and one for the lights.
Is this for a prize or just bragging rights that we guessed right...:-)
Really nice shot though...

Edit; after a closer look and seeing one of the lights on top of a hand, I have to go with PP.
09-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks like something along the lines of..

2x grid spots through leaves/some pattern
~0.5 sec exposure, flash dragged candles/Christmas lights

09-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm game to go out on a limb here

I'm thinking:
  • high/very high ISO (I'd say 1600+ if the K20D was used)
  • hand-held camera
  • slow shutter at 45/60
  • 3 main lights, either fluorescent lights or strobes with a snoot/softbox covered by a grill/shade to provide the fantastic pattern you see in the shadows and on her
    • one spot/strobe about waist high and facing up at her face and to the right of the subject, probably next to the camera position (stage left) - strongest light of all three
    • one more centered on the subject, slightly above head level and pointing downward towards the subjects' face
    • the other slightly stage right, higher than the center light and softer
Now all I need is the model and a couple of thousand dollars in equipment to test my theory.
09-07-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
Edit; after a closer look and seeing one of the lights on top of a hand, I have to go with PP.
But the movement of the background lights could have occured after the pop of the flash on the model, which would allow it to intrude upon the hand's space.
09-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
I'm probably totally wrong, but here is my guess.
If it is an all in one shot and not PP, I say multiple small spots for the triple shadow. I also guess that it's a long exposure and the small lights are mounted on something that was given a small move during the exposure.
If it's PP then I guess 5 layers; one for the model, three for the shadows and one for the lights.
Is this for a prize or just bragging rights that we guessed right...:-)
Really nice shot though...

ZERO Post Production other than the introduction of grain...All done on the set by lighting....

09-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Ok. Here is how I think it was made:

You got the flash set to 2nd courtain sync. and a slow shutter speed. A soft fill-in light to make the model cast a shadow on the background, this one may be blinking.Now, when you shoot, the camera has to be in motion creating the background blur and when the main flash fires it will illuminate the model but its created shadow will not hit the same background.

I think in this possible disposition:

- background at 12 o'clock.
- camera at 6.
- blinking light at 7.
- main flash at 8.

but to avoid the strongest shadow of the flash the line of the background will not be pependicular to the axis camera-background.
09-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by j.mbwun Quote
Ok. Here is how I think it was made:

You got the flash set to 2nd courtain sync. and a slow shutter speed. A soft fill-in light to make the model cast a shadow on the background, this one may be blinking.Now, when you shoot, the camera has to be in motion creating the background blur and when the main flash fires it will illuminate the model but its created shadow will not hit the same background.

I think in this possible disposition:

- background at 12 o'clock.
- camera at 6.
- blinking light at 7.
- main flash at 8.

but to avoid the strongest shadow of the flash the line of the background will not be pependicular to the axis camera-background.
Sorry. No Cigars.
09-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #10

To me it looks like the subject is front lit with the resulting light reflected from mirrors at a 45 deg angle. Possibly shot through glass which has the small lights reflected on it. No cigars...........................................................................not since i quit smoking.
09-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

OK, I'll try it...
I think there were 3 spot lights used at slightly different positions, and, 3 different outputs to explain the 3 identical shadows with 3 different shades, and 3 different positions.

Also, the model has, what I will call "Narrow" spots of lighting on her.

The multiple specs of light had be to something that reflected "Behind" the model. Could have been a custom made Gobo with small holes in it and and another spot light placed at an angle to the holes to produce the elongated light trails.

OK...How far off am I