Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wedding 1 week

Hello all

Was invited to a wedding a few months back was glad to be going, however today my partner rang me from work... "Bride tells me they have no photographer for the wedding, and I thought you could bring your camera and take a few shots for them" obviously bride was ecstatic thinking Taff is going to shoot some luvleee poses and I am now welcome to shoot as many pics as I choose OMG LOL

Keep you all posted

Taff

09-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good luck. You are a guest first, and photographer second, enjoy yourself and get what shots you can.
09-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As above Taff.
Don't get stressed about it, but you have the flexibility of taking it as seriously or as casually as you like.
Enjoy the day.
09-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No idea what your skill level is, but one suggestion: recruit everyone who dares poing a camera. Maybe make a Flickr account and pass the addy out on cards as you go.

Good stuff happens that a lot of folks never know about. Ge em while it's fun.

09-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
No idea what your skill level is,

09-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Try and enjoy it Taff ... it's a hard gig.
I took a few shots for family friends a month ago ... mind you I had to babysit as well (wife was a bridesmaid ... and we had our 3 month old that needed breastfeeding there as well.

It was a hectic day .. but I managed a few decent shots ... but nothing too much.
At least they had their photographer there ... he checked out some of mine at the end of the day and was impressed in what the K10D could do. Was appreciative of the compliment I guess ... but I still enjoyed the day ... and was happy with my effort.
09-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do some research on the area, Taff - and check out what your peers do to get the results they do. Then practice until you're happy with your own results, and hopefully your 'client' will be also.

09-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I sure the Champ will come out of the Champion,You have the skills, brains now you need a kick in the ass to get you going mate ,You will do fine ,as above enjoy and let your creative juices flow

cheers
09-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I got shanghaied into the same thing last week. Our Seminary Intern at church was getting married and it was just going to be a simple ceremony in a courtroom or something. Our pastor insisted on performing the ceremony at the church and, after finding out I had a little more skill than the average person, volunteered me to photograph it. Ended up that my wife made the wedding cake and the brides bouquet also. I don't think either of us did to terrible considering neither of us had done that in about 25 years.

CW
09-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I see this situation happen more often than I want to and I sometimes think that it is just a scam to get someone to shoot for free. If I ever get married, you better believe I'm BOOKING a photographer a year in advance. I don't think waiting till the last second and casually telling people you dont have a photographer is really cool....
09-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I see this situation happen more often than I want to and I sometimes think that it is just a scam to get someone to shoot for free. If I ever get married, you better believe I'm BOOKING a photographer a year in advance. I don't think waiting till the last second and casually telling people you dont have a photographer is really cool....
I would agree with this, but in fairness I also don't think a lot of people understand how stressful it is to photograph a wedding or anything outside of a controlled environment.
09-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I would agree with this, but in fairness I also don't think a lot of people understand how stressful it is to photograph a wedding or anything outside of a controlled environment.
I concur 100%.
09-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all your comments, this subject always brings forth many things to think about.
I certainly agree with my mate Cupic, but on a serious note, as Ash mentioned I have the option to take this any way I choose and if it works out that I have these amazing shots that awe the bride and groom then so be it, if not... well I doubt that there will be no good ones at all.
There is also an amazing bonus to this situation, I can now get away with wearing Jeans and sneakers as the photographer is not going to be in the pics