Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Tri/Monopod for trip?

I'm getting ready for a trip, for a week, to yellowstone national park.

I have an *ist Ds, Lowepro EX140 bag, which holds camera with a 135mm on it, along with up to two other lenses, I have a few, I don't know what I'll be taking. I have a flash, but I probalby won't take it, most of the stuff will beoutdoors.

I have a 500mm lense, it's an old cheap lense, but it's a long lense nonetheless. I've been using it handheld, and it's a pain sometimes. I've got an old Vivitar tripod, but it absolutely, positively sucks. I need something different, but I have less than a week, and I don't want to spend much. (I am leaving Monday morning, not tomorrow, but in a week, so I have a week, but I'm going to Houston for a few days in between, so I need to get this asap)

I'm not sure if I need a tripod or a monopod. A monopod, I can just move the entire thing if I want to change anything, right? What is a good mono or tripod that can get pretty small (has to fit in airline luggage!) and is pretty darn cheap? Like, $25 .

Please give me your advice! I don't use it for any studio work, the only reason I need anything for support right now is for htis long lense, shooting in Yellowstone National Park. The vivitar works for most of the stuff at home, but it's bulky, jerky and not stable at all.

05-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A monopod is indeed handy, but often requires some practice before one is able to hold the camera truly steady (especially with a longer lens). However, I don't think you'll find a workable monopod for $25, especially a compact one. Lower priced monopods tend to be fairly flimsy, with compact models in that price range even more so. If that is your budget limit, I would suggest a tripod instead. You should be able to find a reasonably stable tripod (at Walmart, local camera store, etc) in that price range which will fit into your carry-on luggage. Test the tripod in the store before purchase. Select the one with the least head movement (head = the area the camera mounts on) when handled, twisted, or touched. A heavier tripod with thicker legs is usually more stable than a lighter one. Make sure both the legs and head are strong enough to firmly support your lens and camera. A heavier camera system obviously requires a sturdier tripod.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 05-20-2007 at 05:22 PM.
05-21-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a SLIK travel tripod which came in a carrying case. It has a long strap which just perfectly loops across the top of my camera bag, being held on one side by the protruding outer pocket and dangling to the bottom edge of the bag on the other side. I use a pair of carabiner clips to secure the strap to the shoulder strap rings on the bag.

When I'm not carrying it, I have a Velbon RUP43 monopod which I just stick through the thing on the back of the camera bag which is meant to hold the folded up waist strap when it is not in use.

I normally just carry the monopod and leave the tripod at home, unless I foresee doing some night shots.