Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 11:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok guys...

Fess up.

Who else has measured their finger after reading this thread?

09-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I keep going back and forth on which one I want and which one I can afford. I see used K20d's for sale but they aren't that much less than a new one. I could go ahead and buy a K100D but it also would be used and though it might work, it's not really what I want. I like the features I see on the K20D. And if it's possible to find one in a store I can handhold, I'll do that before purchase.

So I'm going to save my left over money until I have enough to buy the K20D. Might take me a little longer than I had expected, but....at least I'll get the one I want this way.

And I can sell the MZ-7 because I haven't used it in months. I like ZX-5 better.
Could be a plan. I think you'll see that price similarity between new and used as long as there's still backstock of K20ds out there. Which isn't really a bad thing for you, cause the price of those might come down to meet you and there you are. (Holiday season's coming, stuff goes on sale.)
09-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Ok guys...

Fess up.

Who else has measured their finger after reading this thread?
I did and I found that by surgically removing the first joint of the finger in question (with a local anaesthetic) I could still comfortably reach the shutter release on my K100D with my 2" stump.

Now where did I put that ---------- ?

Mickey
09-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ratmagiclady, I'm still debating. I'd like to get something right away because the price of film is getting expensive. And the fact I have to get it developed, waiting to see if they are in focus, has given me thought to buying a used K100D or K10D. Then saving for next years buy. I really don't need a video camera. I don't have young children of my own so I wouldn't need that feature. And my great grands are too far away to run to their functions at school.
Thanks for the help.

QuoteQuote:
Mickey.....Now where did I put that ---------- ?
...........LOL

09-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Ratmagiclady, I'm still debating. I'd like to get something right away because the price of film is getting expensive. And the fact I have to get it developed, waiting to see if they are in focus, has given me thought to buying a used K100D or K10D. Then saving for next years buy. I really don't need a video camera. I don't have young children of my own so I wouldn't need that feature. And my great grands are too far away to run to their functions at school.
Thanks for the help.

...........LOL
Hee. Not that the K20d has video, anyway. Since you have to wait till December, anyway, you may as well just keep an eye on the market. If a good deal doesn't appear, the used market ought to be nice from people who upgraded over the holidays.
09-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm hoping I'll have the money come December. I'm saving, but should have start in January last year. Well, actually, I should have bought digital instead of these film cameras, but the two of them together didn't cost $150. Course, I've bought a few lenses also, and again these will work on the digital, so that's a plus.

I was going to sell my MZ-7 and was cleaning the dust off the outside and checking the mirrors, and focusing screen, come to find out there is a scratch on the focusing screen I didn't see when I bought it. Too late to return now, but that's why I was getting those spots on my photos. So, unless I can find a focusing screen to replace the scratched one, I have a paper weight.

The MZ-5 I haven't made my mind up about what to do with it, whether to sell or keep. I did have someone who was interested in buying it, and I paid more for it than the MZ-7.

So this is where I am now.
09-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #22
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I was going to sell my MZ-7 and was cleaning the dust off the outside and checking the mirrors, and focusing screen, come to find out there is a scratch on the focusing screen I didn't see when I bought it. Too late to return now, but that's why I was getting those spots on my photos. So, unless I can find a focusing screen to replace the scratched one, I have a paper weight.
That's most likely not the problem. The focusing screen has no effect on the final photo produced (except for metering), so even if you have a focusing screen ridded in scratches, broken in pieces, or even simply just not there, pictures will turn out fine spots-on-the-photos-wise...
So no idea what's causing spots on your photos, but that's not focusing screen...

09-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oops, I should have known that pbo, but didn't think about it far enough to understand what I typed.

So you're saying the scratch in the focusing screen shouldn't affect the use of the camera? I do want to sell this camera as I rarely use it. I use the MZ-5 consistently in my shooting. I find it more acceptable to my commands than the other one.
09-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #24
graphicgr8s

Oops, I should have known that pbo, but didn't think about it far enough to understand what I typed.

So you're saying the scratch in the focusing screen shouldn't affect the use of the camera? I do want to sell this camera as I rarely use it. I use the MZ-5 consistently in my shooting. I find it more acceptable to my commands than the other one.
Focusing screen, viewfinder, mirror. No effect on photos whatsoever.
The mirror pops up when you shoot. It's all lens to film after that.
09-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Dang it, I could have sworn I knew all this before. Now you guys are making me relearn......that's good really.

I'll get the photos taken of the camera, and the remote, and the battery pack. I'm selling all of those because I don't need the remote for the MZ-5 as it uses a different type and the battery pack, I already have one for the MZ-5.
09-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Dang it, I could have sworn I knew all this before. Now you guys are making me relearn......that's good really.

I'll get the photos taken of the camera, and the remote, and the battery pack. I'm selling all of those because I don't need the remote for the MZ-5 as it uses a different type and the battery pack, I already have one for the MZ-5.
Well, it affects the value of the camera cause of the viewing experience, (Not a particularly great sign as regards how it was treated, either. ) But if it makes sharp photos I might be interested, one of these days I ought to get an autofocus film Pentax for when my eyesight is uncooperative, though it isn't a big priority till I actually obtain more autofocus lenses.
09-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have to take the camera outside to get good photos of it. I'll try to do that tomorrow. The scratch was in the camera before I got it. I bought it used from KEH. I've very careful with my equipment. I guess it got dust in the scratch and that's how I found it, sort of checking it out, I see the dirt streak and that's when I decided on a closer inspection. I tried to brush the streak away and found it wouldn't disappear. Looking closer, I found out why it wouldn't go away. It's just a small scratch, but it is noticeable in the view finder.

The scratch is not in the brackets, it's low down on the left side of the focusing screen. It doesn't affect focusing as far as I can see.

Last edited by photolady95; 09-30-2009 at 09:04 PM.