Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
DPR.com and PentaxForums.com

I notice that URLs of PentaxForums.com seem to have being been blocked at the Dpreview.com Pentax SLR forum (and actually at the DPR.com).

I'm not totally sure about this and would anyone confirm this. I just see there are deleted links but I guess they are PentaxForums' post links overthere by the remaining contexts of the posts. I also see some people do intentionally type something like "pentaxforums dot com" or etc. to get the info posted..

If this is true, I just wonder.. why?? BTW, Mo/Adam, do you have any idea? (just express your opinion only if you feel easy to talk about it :-))

Just very curious about it.

05-23-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,420
I'm pretty sure it was requested by Mo. That place is a waste of time anyway.
05-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 2,030
Because the dishonest tests done by Phil would be squashed by the info here... just a guess.


No actually I think it would hurt his business as this being the most popular Pentax forum he might get a few thousand less hits a month if they stayed here and left his mess. It's all in keeping the marketing portfolio my friend.

But alas the first comment is also true... Phil skewed those K10 tests so bad it's not even funny. Download all the images and read the exif's it's pretty BIASED testing.
05-23-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I'm pretty sure it was requested by Mo. That place is a waste of time anyway.
Huh? Pardon?

05-23-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,420
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Huh? Pardon?
I think that Adam requested the block from Phil. Capisce?
05-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I think that Adam requested the block from Phil. Capisce?
I still don't get it :-( I think I'm really stupid enough :-((
05-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
Senior Member
maleek's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Karlstad, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 222
Hmm... I don't think there ever was a good reason for pulling pentaxforums.com off the legit web adresses. Some not so Pentax friendly user speculated that is was due to pentaxforums.com being a commercial site, and that infringed on the guidelines of dpr.com. But since that is wrong, and easily proven wrong. He gave up pushing that theory.

My guess is as good as any. Soo, I think it was done around the time of the K10D review. The debate was long and heated and many people were pissed of at Phil Askey, and Askey was pissed of at people questioning his integrity. So I think he pulled the trigger on this site during that time, for whatever reason.
05-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maleek Quote
Hmm... I don't think there ever was a good reason for pulling pentaxforums.com off the legit web adresses. Some not so Pentax friendly user speculated that is was due to pentaxforums.com being a commercial site, and that infringed on the guidelines of dpr.com. But since that is wrong, and easily proven wrong. He gave up pushing that theory.

My guess is as good as any. Soo, I think it was done around the time of the K10D review. The debate was long and heated and many people were pissed of at Phil Askey, and Askey was pissed of at people questioning his integrity. So I think he pulled the trigger on this site during that time, for whatever reason.
Maleek, I think your two guesses for the possible reaons are all sensible.

BTW, I think there is no reason to treat PentaxForums.com as commercial site for the time being as it has no Ads here nor there is any commercial associations with any shops or even camera makers, unlike the DPR site or alike, I believe. I cannot see any of those commercial activities at PentaxForums.com so far.

So, the second reason maybe more possible.

However, I have thought about a third possible reason. It is that the PentaxForums.com has become more and more popular (and maybe in a very fast way too) so that Phil has worried about being eaten for the popularity pile and must stop any possible further "promotion" at his site, so he decided to ban and block PentaxForums and force the name and all its links to be disappeared from his super big internet website.

But, even if this wild guess is really the case, I just and still wonder if this is necessary and why it is needed..

05-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
Forum Member
Paul_C's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 97
Do you people ever stop with all the ridiculous drama?
05-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,701
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I notice that URLs of PentaxForums.com seem to have being been blocked at the Dpreview.com Pentax SLR forum (and actually at the DPR.com).

I'm not totally sure about this and would anyone confirm this. I just see there are deleted links but I guess they are PentaxForums' post links overthere by the remaining contexts of the posts. I also see some people do intentionally type something like "pentaxforums dot com" or etc. to get the info posted..

If this is true, I just wonder.. why?? BTW, Mo/Adam, do you have any idea? (just express your opinion only if you feel easy to talk about it :-))

Just very curious about it.
I can't confirm that the URL's are being blocked, but if they are, it could only be because they're jealous of our more friendly attitude

You do know that PentaxForums.net redirects to the .com address, don't you? If you ever want to link to a resource on PentaxForums.com from DPR, just use that domain. In all fairness, I haven't censored DPReview links on this forum, and I don't plan to, so it looks like DPR is employing dirty tactics...

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I'm pretty sure it was requested by Mo. That place is a waste of time anyway.
Pretty sure??? Where'd you get that from? I haven't been on DPR.com, let alone contacted Phil, since 2006.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,701
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Maleek, I think your two guesses for the possible reaons are all sensible.

BTW, I think there is no reason to treat PentaxForums.com as commercial site for the time being as it has no Ads here nor there is any commercial associations with any shops or even camera makers, unlike the DPR site or alike, I believe. I cannot see any of those commercial activities at PentaxForums.com so far.

So, the second reason maybe more possible.
PentaxForums.com has no sponsorships, no ads, and no commercial interest. The only income we get is from donations, and I can guarantee you that every penny donated has been used for site improvements (the Lens Review Database, Links Directory, and new skin being the latest).

I think that the second explanation is quite feasible. No one like competition, especially better competition, after all...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-25-2007, 03:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,311
Next Month

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
PentaxForums.com has no sponsorships, no ads, and no commercial interest. The only income we get is from donations, and I can guarantee you that every penny donated has been used for site improvements (the Lens Review Database, Links Directory, and new skin being the latest).

I think that the second explanation is quite feasible. No one like competition, especially better competition, after all...
Mo..Remind me next month to give you more "Gelt"..Will gladly donate more!
05-25-2007, 04:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
PentaxForums.com has no sponsorships, no ads, and no commercial interest. The only income we get is from donations, and I can guarantee you that every penny donated has been used for site improvements (the Lens Review Database, Links Directory, and new skin being the latest).

I think that the second explanation is quite feasible. No one like competition, especially better competition, after all...
I can confirm about Mo's claims in continuous hardware and software improvement from what I can observe. The forum speed was rather slow last year and now even the number of members and participant have greatly increased, the forum is yet running smoother and faster than ever before. Most importantly, it is more stable than months ago too, again that's my own impression.

There is no miracle and things don't happen automatically on Earth. So, Mo must have put great efforts in improving our PentaxForums.
05-25-2007, 06:55 AM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Perth
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 669
Pentax Forums = Good!

DPR = bad!
05-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 322
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul_C Quote
Do you people ever stop with all the ridiculous drama?
Amen. If we keep these kinds of threads going, there won't be much difference between the 2 after a while....
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, links, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DPR and their lies codiac2600 Pentax DSLR Discussion 72 06-03-2007 05:10 PM
DPR is going to the dogs... Cideway Welcomes and Introductions 11 03-17-2007 05:19 AM
Signature in DPR :( vievetrick General Talk 12 02-06-2007 04:00 PM
Yet another defector from DPR BarneyCG Welcomes and Introductions 3 11-29-2006 11:58 AM
Another one from DPR here GregNS Welcomes and Introductions 2 11-26-2006 01:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top