Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #1

My compensation for the making Pentax facebook group, or the free K-7

Hey everyone! I’ve been meaning to post about this for sometime but it has slipped my mind. This is a story about how awesome of a company Pentax is.

About a year or so ago, I founded the first Pentax facebook page called “Pentax Cameras”. Were any of you in it? Anyways, I had over 3000 people join and I was planning on becoming more active as the site’s moderator. A few months ago, perhaps in early June, I received a notice from facebook that my page had been taken over by Pentax. It was understandable since facebook pages are meant to be owned and operated by the business itself. However, I couldn’t help but feel a little cheated since I felt proud about making such a large group and Pentax is now heavily using it for marketing purposes. So, I saved the facebook warning and sent it to Pentax marketing. I asked if I could possibly get some form of compensation for founding the site and suggested a K-7. You know, fat chance right? But I figured it was worth a shot and I would honestly be just as happy if they decided to hook me up with anything. The people on the marketing end were very kind when I was talking to them about this, especially Carolyn Pitcavage, who was at the Pentax road meets.

I left for Europe for a two week trip about month back and I didn’t get a response back. I figured I wasn’t going to get one anyways, so I bought one before hand- a huge drain on my small income but I’m stupid.

While in Europe I received an email that they decided to set me up with a K-7 and man, it’s just unbelievable. Seriously, can you imagine any other company who would send someone their top of the line camera for that? So, I have a new K-7 sitting here next to my other one and I’m wondering why on earth I have two copies of my dream camera. I definitely don’t regret buying one before Europe though; it was an amazing tool in piecing together my portfolio abroad, as I posted in another thread. I made my best work while I was there, though obviously this had more to do with myself. The K-7 with 3 pancakes has become the perfect tool for the type of photos I take. As a heads up though, I think I’m going to put it up for sale on the marketplace to recuperate some of the money I lost from my other one.

Anyways, Pentax gave me excellent customer service throughout the entire ordeal and made sure that I was happy. I think they definitely paid off the cost for the facebook page, I can never have any qualms against them and they pretty much earned my loyalty until death. I was hesitant to adopt the company’s marketing term but I am now a Pentaxian.

09-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Wow, I can´t believe they decided to give you a free K7!!!! Mind you, it´s a bit draconian just coming in & taking over the running of the group you set up (I think I´m in it).

All in all, good going Pentax.

((What do I have to do to get a free K7??????))
09-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh God, I'm going to create a facebook for the "Rainbow K-x"
09-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Word of mouth advertising is often the most effective. I'm sure a lot of sales are generated through sites like the one you set up. I would hate to see that happen to all sites though. There is also value in completely user run sites that are outside corporate control. As long as you are OK with this. Setting up a site and getting 3000 members is a good deal of work. A free K7 camera is actually a cheap way out for them as most companys have a paid position to do that work. Why pay someone when they can just hijack a site. Your work was worth much more than free camera.

09-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #5

Man...........I am starting an Orkut, a myspace, a Linkedin page for Pentax and I want 645D (because I will start 3 pages)
09-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Kudos to Pentax for rewarding a faithful follower!

Wish Subaru had done that for creating a long-time mailing list for the Legacy B4 back in the day!
09-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Juat think what Adam could get for a corporate takeover of this site...don't we have (lots) more members than that Facebook page? And little if any (it seems) interest or interaction from Pentax unless something blows up and dozens of users and dealers scream "LOOK AT US!"

Last edited by geauxpez; 09-18-2009 at 11:59 AM.
09-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Banned

im the leader and founder of the 'Pentaxians" group on Last.fm. come take it and give me a K-7! heck id take a K-x. thats really great news mate, and its really cool that they have made a lifelong customer out of you. acts such as that are getting rare these days.
09-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Word of mouth advertising is often the most effective. I'm sure a lot of sales are generated through sites like the one you set up. I would hate to see that happen to all sites though. There is also value in completely user run sites that are outside corporate control. As long as you are OK with this. Setting up a site and getting 3000 members is a good deal of work. A free K7 camera is actually a cheap way out for them as most companys have a paid position to do that work. Why pay someone when they can just hijack a site. Your work was worth much more than free camera.
Yeah, I understand what you are saying and it did kind of bother me a little that it was just suddenly taken away. You have to remember though that facebook pages are meant to be owned by the business/artist/etc, whereas the groups are user operated and owned. Here's how facebook designates the pages, "Facebook Pages are special profiles used solely for commercial, political, or charitable purposes. Facebook Pages may only be set up for the purpose of promoting a business or other commercial, political, or charitable organization or endeavor (including non-profit organizations, political campaigns, bands and celebrities), and only by an authorized representative of the entity or individual that is the subject of the Facebook Page. By creating a Facebook Page, you represent and warrant that you are authorized to do so by the person or entity that is the subject of the Facebook Page, and to accept these Additional Terms and the Facebook Terms of Use on such person's or entity's behalf".

So, I guess they had the right to the page since I was misrepresenting the company in that regard, which pretty much breaches the terms they set forward. I just really respect Pentax's gesture of sending me something when they easily could have gotten away without doing it. Moreover, I really didn't put that much time into it or anything, so it wasn't really an emotional loss or anything. I certainly didn't put close to $1300 worth of work into it, so I'm fine being bought out :P.
09-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well you did well for them, and it would only serve them well to do good for you too.
Good to keep their loyalists on side
I know you don't think of the move as being 'bought out' - although done in unbecoming circumstances, it turned out for the better - a 'win-win' for you.
So now what will you do with your extra K-7?
09-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
I'm making a thread right now to sell it ^
09-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
I'm in that group!!!

If I were you I'd sell the "used"K-7 and keep the gift... Then you'll be able to say... "This camera? The very Hoya-Pentax Co. send it to me for FREE! LOL
09-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andres Quote
I'm in that group!!!

If I were you I'd sell the "used"K-7 and keep the gift... Then you'll be able to say... "This camera? The very Hoya-Pentax Co. send it to me for FREE! LOL
But me and my K-7 are getting along so well! I couldn't do such a thing .

More importantly, I need the extra money so I'm willing to sell one in mint condition instead.
10-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Bumping this post because it's an interesting story and good PR for PENTAX.