Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I twist the focusing ring.

11-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After a year with the K20 I used the select point for the first time. It was useful for when I wanted to hand the camera to somebody else and have them take the picture. I didn't want to have to explain how to use the lock focus and recompose feature especially since none Pentaxians tend to press the shutter too hard and thereby actuate the shutter rather than just focus. Canon users are bad for this.
11-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Macros

I move the camera, often using a rail (I shoot alot of macros)
11-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if I answer truthfully, I focus by turning the focus collar, or, I press the shutter half way and let the camera do it?

Both seem to work.
As for focus and recompose, I have tried this and find that it is never as sharp as using the selectable focus points.. I think re-composing when you are fairly close in causes too much movement and you upset subject distance.

11-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I always center point and recompose now. My first DSLR, the K2000 never allowed me to select AF points and I was so used to not using them, I tend to not use them on my K-7 also.
11-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm with the crowd

Center point, then recompose. Sometimes I use the center AF then switch to manual to recompose. K20D.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs
11-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #37
Veteran Member

typically i've used the center focus point and recomposed. But that can alter your plane of focus so I've been trying to get used to selecting the autofocus point. But then maybe your focus isn't as accurate??

What I do know is...at both a wedding and a hockey game just this past weekend, I tried using continuous focus and failed miserably with the DA* 50-135. It couldn't even keep up with bridesmaids walking slowly towards me. Is it something I did wrong? Or just the slow speed of the K10D + DA*? I don't know...but I'm not happy about it. I was only the third shooter so not that big a deal, but man, it really bums me out that those pics aren't sharp.

11-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This poll cries out for allowing more than one choice or specify percentage or an answer like, "it depends."

At the Dog Park where I have a second to aim and shoot I use Full Auto. Even then I get more dog butts than faces.

When shooting birds I use center spot focus and point at the bird to avoid focusing on foreground/background tree branches.

When shooting flowers with my Macro I'll take one auto shot to get me in the ballpark then switch to full manual for the rest of the shoot.

When doing astrophotography it is full manual all evening.

I can't just click one answer!

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 11-04-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: added category
11-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #39

old becomes new again

I usually center focus then recompose, but I am returning to manual focus more and more. I am finding that the auto focus is not always reliable, and is slow in low light. Using manual focus also gives me reason to use my Super Tak 50 more often!
11-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #40
Inactive Account

focus

I use the centre point and then recompose. I have my camera set to single not continuous focus. Occasionally I use the points, however, that is probably only less than 5% of the time.

Cheryl
11-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or manual focus

I voted for centre point and recompose, but obviously, my M lenses don't offer AF, and I use them as much as anything else in my bag.
11-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I usually use centerpoint-recompose but I'll shoot manual as needed. I've also been known to pre-focus and wait for the subject to pass into the frame.
11-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Center point and re-frame can be very dangerous. If I were to do so all of my images would be focused on the wrong unintended point. It only works if perfectly perpendicular to the subject and at a considerable distance.
Attached Images

11-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #44
Inactive Account

I shoot all manual, and usually center point and recompose if needed.
11-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Center point and re-frame can be very dangerous. If I were to do so all of my images would be focused on the wrong unintended point. It only works if perfectly perpendicular to the subject and at a considerable distance.
Well, it only works *perfectly* in those cases. But really, the amount by which the focus is off in practice is usually less than the DOF, *unless* you are shooting a scene with an extremely shallow DOF (as your example obviously is). It's an issue mostly at apertures of f/2 and below, and especially at very close focus distances. For me personally, that's an extremely rare combination. But for some, it will be more common, indeed.