Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #1

Tips for Balloon Glow photography?

There's an annual balloon race in St. Louis each year and I've just learned there's also a contest to go along with it. Tonight is the balloon glow and I'm looking to get in some great photos. (There's also time specifically for photographer's tomorrow before the launch, I might go to that too).

I just got my used (but in mint condition) K10D this week. I grew up with and have used Spotmatics and the wonderful 50mm f1.4 lenses that seemed to come with them so the K10D is my first DSLR but not my first SLR.

I'd love some suggestions on technique. Keep ISO below 400? Lens wide open? Tripod or monopod? Metering modes? RAW or JPEG?

Any advice would be great. I'll post pics if they turn out.

Geoff

09-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went to my local balloon event this past summer. I'm not convinced I got the best shots or really optimized my techniques but...I did learn a few things. You want wide angle lenses. I took my DA 10-17, DA 40, and DA*16-50. I kept my typically ISO low, looking back at this I think I might have pushed the ISO up a bit, I typically have it on auto ISO between 100-400, in the twilight it could have been more like 200-800. Some of my images were soft and I think I should have traded noise for sharpness and larger DOF. When the balloonists hit their flames to make the balloons glow the will be very bright, bracketing worked very well for this. I wish I had a tripod with me in the very early morning twilight hours, next time. If you can't bring one a monopod would be good too. I used auto bracketing a lot to get a lot shots. You can look at my edited series on my flickr site.

Sonoma Balloon Madness - a set on Flickr

Incidentially, there were a lot of Canikon there with big long telephoto lenses. I could not see any point to that unless the balloons launch and drift away. If they are on the ground and/or on static lines, you need to get close and need wide angle lenses.

Have fun.
09-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
That sounds a great day out, that's just not something they do around here, show us your results and don't forget to enjoy it.
09-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Balloon Glow

QuoteOriginally posted by geoffeg Quote
There's an annual balloon race in St. Louis each year and I've just learned there's also a contest to go along with it. Tonight is the balloon glow and I'm looking to get in some great photos. (There's also time specifically for photographer's tomorrow before the launch, I might go to that too).

I just got my used (but in mint condition) K10D this week. I grew up with and have used Spotmatics and the wonderful 50mm f1.4 lenses that seemed to come with them so the K10D is my first DSLR but not my first SLR.

I'd love some suggestions on technique. Keep ISO below 400? Lens wide open? Tripod or monopod? Metering modes? RAW or JPEG?

Any advice would be great. I'll post pics if they turn out.

Geoff
Hi Geoff: I'm in the same boat - K10D, mostly manual lenses and no experience with night shooting - but I can't be there tonight (maybe tomorrow).

I would take

K2DMD (Ektar 100 or Kodachrome) -> K24/3.5 and K35/3.5 (I think that would be THE lens for the film camera), A35~105/3.5.

K10D -> FA35/2, FA50/1.4, A35~105/3.5.

With these relatively slow manual lenses I would expect focusing problems, so I would use a tripod and zone-focus, use comparatively small apertures and longer exposures. I'd bump ISO up to 800 and use the 2 second MLU delay. Also try EV bracketing.

Should be pretty good for everything but large prints.

09-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #5

Wide, wide, wide!!!

You can't have a wide enough lens for these events. Lived in Howell MI for many years and there was an annual event. Had a balloon land in my yard one year (2 acres of yard - I'm not sorry that I don't have to mow that anymore! )

I would think that you would want some DOF, particularly if you want to include more than one balloon. Or focusing on one, with the others suitably bokeh'd in the b/g would be nice too. As others have said, a tripod or monopod will be helpful. Have fun.
09-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Have one comeing up this week end with glow session friday night and race lift off saturday early am. But seeing as to how I am in my second child-hood I am not sure I can stay up late enough to go for the glow, but definatly plan on being there Sat. am.for fill and lift off. Got some decent photo's last year with 18/55 kit but will have the 16/45 and the 28/75 2.8 this year. jim
09-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

In 2005 I had pretty good luck wit ISO 1600, f/3-4 (kit lens or my Tokina 28-70) 1/6 - 1/40. Worked out reasonably well. *istDs

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

09-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have hot air ballooning here also, and several times they have floated over the house pretty low, looking for a place to put down.

One thought that comes to mind, especially on the evening shots. These things are pretty large, and move around a lot while being filled. So if you use a shutter speed too low, you will have motion blurr. In order to get a faster shutter speed, you either need a higher ISO speed, a lower f stop, which translates to a smaller DOF, or better yet, all of the above with a tripod.

Using a wide angle lens, will certainly help with the DOF. Also looking at the hyper focal tables will give you an idea of about where to focus (and f stop), so that you can get quite a bit in focus from near the camera out to infinity.

... hope that helps - which gives me an idea - that I need to look into when the hot air balloon meet here happens.

09-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Forum Member

Nice photos, I should go to some of these events. Is there a web site listing such things?

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
09-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Another advantage of a wide lens is that you can stand in front of all the other photogs and get in their way instead of t'other way round!
09-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I found wide lenses was the key for the balloon shots, but I also wanted to capture some shots of kid's reactions to the balloons so I took a pretty long lens with me for those. I was pretty amazed at how close the pilots would let you get to the balloons and the flame throwers. Lots of interesting things to shoot, but just hope for a sunny day. My pics during the morning launch all had pretty boring skies and I had to be pretty careful about blowing out the sky. Next time I go, hopefully I will learn different and more creative ways of capturing them. I wonder what a couple of flashes would do to give the balloons more pop when the daylight is dim?

Anyways, here's some pics I took...
Festival of Balloons in Tigard, Oregon
09-25-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Never thought taking ballon pics would be that difficult. I'm interested in seeing the result. Good luck
09-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Nice shot!

Dawn Patrol on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
09-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went to my first launch in Spokane this morning at Valleyfest 2009, oh my that was cool. I could not believe how fast they get off the ground, holy cow. You hit the propane and.............. There were only 3 balloons but still.
The wide angle lens tip is right on, there were a couple of guys there with teles and they seemed a bit hamstrung at least with stuff that happened on the ground and a lot was going on before lift off or blast off:-).
You know I've always been the type of guy who would chip in if something needs to be done but being a photographer has it's advantages. The third balloon wanted to blast off early before the lady was ready and some guy said "Do you need some help"? She said yes and a bunch of people grabbed hold to keep it on the ground but I couldn't help because, well because I was the photographer and somebody needed to take pictures of the people holding the balloon on the ground!
Geoffeg, are you gonna post some pics? Is it ok if we do?

I gotta post just this one:-).

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 09-27-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: I had to add a pic
09-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How many balloons? How close can you approach? Haw far must you walk?

How about this: any lens, but fast is good; fully automatic and a support (monopod/pole or tripod helps) but play if you like; tend toward a fast 'film' speed but don't get hung-up on it. It's really hard to miss-take my word for it.

These are from THE BALLOON FIESTA: ALBUQUERQUE INTERNATIONAL BALLOON FIESTA 2006--the morning of THE FLIGHT OF NATIONS-Not exactly a 'glow' but still dark and a target rich environment: about 900 balloons.