Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is the dominant hand and which eye do you shoot with?
Right hand and Right eye 13348.01%
Right hand and Left eye 11140.07%
Left hand and Left eye 227.94%
Left Hand and Right eye 113.97%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
Over the last year or so my right eye is getting a tad blurry (getting old!!).

It's not too bad, but enough that the diopter adjustment in the K100D doesn't compensate enough for it and I can no longer manually focus and be confident that the composed shot will be sharp, or be 100% confident that auto focus has got the bits I want sharp as the pic in the viewfinder is blurry.

So I switched to using my left eye - took a while to get comfortable with it but in a month or two it became 2nd nature. What I noticed though is when I used to go from Landscape to Portrait orientation shooting with my right eye, I nearly always flipped the camera anti-clockwise, but now that I'm shooting with the left eye it's 50/50 which way I flip it.

So, just out of interest - which eye do you shoot with and does it correspond to which hand is dominant? Do right handed people predominantly shoot with right eye to the view finder and lefties shoot with the left eye?
I've always rotated anti-clockwise for my left eye. At times I wish I shot right-eyed so I could rotate it clockwise and have my shooting hand underneath the camera for support. In addition, shooting landscapes, shooting righteye allows you to use your left eye to open to look at everything outside of the viewfinder.

But it just feels wrong to me. Btw. I think the finger test looking far away sucks, I can't choose which finger to put on the object far away, usually I center it which means I am no-eyed.. I use both my hands to make a small square and frame an object far away - then I close one eye and see which eye it is really framed under. Works much better than just a finger.

09-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I am mostly ambidextrious, but I was born a natural left hander. I was forced in my youth into doing almost everything right handed. As a result I tend to favor the right hand for most things except writing, which I never successfully figured out right handed. While I favor the right hand, I do often use my left for things and like the previous ambidextrious poster, I'll use a knife easily both ways, I was a decent switch hitter and better at it right handed, I play a piano and tend to favor the left hand, etc.

Ultimately, I'm at a point where I will tend to try things right handed first even though I often find I'll often do something left handed better.
09-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Left eye, right handed but not by choice. I'm vertually blind in the right eye. The new body designs were a concern as the right side (from the back) of the K20 is big enough to reach the buttons. But I tried the K-7 and although smaller, my nose isn't in the way that much.
I am the same....LE/RH...And, even though my nose is above average I can use my thumb for the back dial and buttons without much nose movement at all.

Looks like RE/RH and LE/RH are near neck and and neck. I guess a RE/RH would mean a Lieca M9 or Epson RD-1s (Mk II) may be in your future
09-25-2009, 01:46 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I am mostly ambidextrious, but I was born a natural left hander. I was forced in my youth into doing almost everything right handed. As a result I tend to favor the right hand for most things except writing, which I never successfully figured out right handed. While I favor the right hand, I do often use my left for things and like the previous ambidextrious poster, I'll use a knife easily both ways, I was a decent switch hitter and better at it right handed, I play a piano and tend to favor the left hand, etc.

Ultimately, I'm at a point where I will tend to try things right handed first even though I often find I'll often do something left handed better.
Mostly ambidextrious also. I was born natural left hander. First time I grabbed & held (even tried to write) a pencil was with my left hand. But my mother forced me to write with right hand. Childhood days, right hand was more dominant. But as i grew old, I found that I could do some things better using my left hand. Like using the mouse, mobile phone, tools, etc.

As for shooting, I use my left eye.

09-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #20

Right handed
Right eye dominant

Getting used to bifocal contact lenses where neither is exclusively corrected, but the left iis mostly for near vision and the right is mostly for far vision. I switch the viewfinder from eye to eye, and find myself relying more and more on auto focus.
09-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
Right handed, but shoot with the left eye. I should add that although I'm right handed, I believe in a parallel universe I could very well be left-handed...I can eat with my left hand and also play pool (billiards) in apparently a left-handed configuration where my right hand steadies and my left hand pushes.

How can you shoot with left hand, if not with a battery grip? The camera would have to be upside down, wouldn't it?

(At my sister-in-law's wedding, I had a camcorder in my right hand and a P&S upside down in my left hand so I could take pictures and video simultaneously. The wedding video I put together for her ended up being much better than the one that she actually paid for, not to mention available about a year before her "pro" video got back to her.)
I write with my right hand and throw with my left hand. My left arm is DEFENITELY STRONGER than my right but when I try to write with my left hand it is horrible. What do you think?( I can also eat with a fork EQUALLY with both hands).
09-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I voted Left eye-right hand, however I tend to switch it up with what eye I'm using, especially depending on if I'm shooting vertical or horizontal (use my left horizontal, and for some reason my right vertical w/ battery grip)

10-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Right hand and Left eye.
10-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #24
Inactive Account

I'm left eyed and right handed. As a younger guy I was able to hit a baseball for power left handed but hit more often right handed. I've never had an issue photographing left eyed (thankfully)
10-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm rather surprised to see how many here use their left eyes to shoot. I was under the impression that I was in a small minority but apparently not.

Will
10-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #26

The Obvious Way ;)

Well, it always seems to me that cameras were designed to be held with the right hand and using the right eye.

Using the other eye is not a big deal but you get smudges on your LCD from your nose with any camera... Now with the K-7, I get smudges regardless of which eye I use

This is my biggest issue with the K-7. Note how Canon too removed the row of buttons to the left of the LCD in mid-range models (40D, 50D) only to keep it on the higher-end ones (1Ds, 1D, 5D, 7D). Having a clear smudge-free LCD is a great pro-advantage!

- Itai
Neoluminance | Fine Art Photography
10-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find this discussion interesting because I am trying to transition from shooting with my RE to using my LE instead on my K20D(with magnifying eyecup). So far, wearing my glasses, which I have too, I can not position the camera and myself to where I can see much through the viewfinder when using my LE.
10-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
I find this discussion interesting because I am trying to transition from shooting with my RE to using my LE instead on my K20D(with magnifying eyecup). So far, wearing my glasses, which I have too, I can not position the camera and myself to where I can see much through the viewfinder when using my LE.
If you can make it work for you, you're lucky.

I simply can't work with my right eye to the finder, at least not without closing my left eye and that's a pain. And no matter which eye I use, shooting with my glasses is a challenge. That's why I always wear my contacts when I'm shooting an event.

Will
10-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am right handed, and "think" I am right eye dominant

I shoot with my right eye and with my right hand.

I am not sure the two are 100% related.

I bat left, shoot hockey left and golf right, if I shoot a rifle it is right eyed with right hand on the trigger, but bow and arrow is left eyed with right hand on the string for the draw.

figure that out, it is what, to me is comfortable. eye choise is a function of what eye is most siutably lined up with the thing you look through. If someone made a left hand controlled camera, based upon the above I would probably shoot left eyed.
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Right hand, right eye

The only thing I've ever been able to do left handed is bat. I shoot (camera, pistol or rifle) right handed and must keep my left eye closed to do so. I cannot, as others do, use the left eye to look past the camera or weapon.

CW