Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We gone start an overcast picture thread? Cool!

09-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mysticcowboy (from the Olympic Peninsula) shows a great example of overcast working well for portraits. Note no hat brim shadow and no fill flash needed. Had fill flash been used on this image, you'd likely see it on the blade.

Gosh, I don't have a Port Townsend restaurant on my keepers list, but down the street 20 miles in Sequim is the best "breakfast only" restaurant I've ever found on the continent--The Oak Door. And the Oyster House down by the water between Sequim and Pt. Townsend has a seafood chowder that blows away all the big famous brands. Not sure the actual name of the place...and dungenous crab cakes...holy crap, I didn't visit either one in my August Olympic Peninsula trip, just gathered my own oysters near Liliwaup and brought fresh Coho salmon with me I'd caught in Oregon the day before. Traveled late enough in August that 3 or 4 different berry species were ripe...must be close to lunch time...my mouth is watering...
09-30-2009, 06:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Just wanted to add overcast is actually nice to shoot ad midday - evenly distributed 'studio' lighting all day :-) Shadows
get more depth so you can bring out shady old buildings or have a walk around the cemetery. Looking for a dark and
melancholic mood has worked for me on those days. Real old lenses work well with it also.

09-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As mentioned, overcast days are great for outdoor portraits and landscapes in that the clouds act as one giant softbox, flattening the light and preventing harsh shadows from blowing highlights or shadow detail. This is good for ensuring no details are lost and for having a softer lighting effect but bad in a way because flat lighting is boring.

But, what can be done is a scene or portrait can be captured, and with all the necessary detail retained, PP can take over with dodging and burning to effect. Works reasonably well in most circumstances...

09-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I appreciate this thread, living in Bremerton (across from Seattle). Locals sometimes joke that we have two seasons: dark gray and then the light gray. I would note in reply to the one about Seattle, that some towns in the Seattle area get dumped on much more than others, geographical features really matter.

Nice to see the comments on B & W images, i've collected a few of my own:

Last edited by philbaum; 09-30-2009 at 09:32 AM.
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
As mentioned, overcast days are great for outdoor portraits and landscapes in that the clouds act as one giant softbox, flattening the light and preventing harsh shadows from blowing highlights or shadow detail. This is good for ensuring no details are lost and for having a softer lighting effect but bad in a way because flat lighting is boring
The great thing about the flat, directionless light on cloudy days is that adding even a little directionality to the light can be easy. One can position the subject under an overhanging roof, thus encouraging that soft light to come from one side. Or adding just a tiny bit of flash bounced off a wall can add direction to the light without looking artificial.
09-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fun shots Phil! Nice work.

I have had business just over the ridge in Silverdale, but only collected Mongolian Grill eats--gosh you'd think I was HUGE as much as I focus on eating!

Are you implying that they get more rain in Quinault than Seattle? Good point though, even just down the street in Olympia they get lots more rain than Seattle--or at least it sure seems that way driving through.

09-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Overcast

Overcast

Mickey
09-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Still overcast

Mickey
09-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Overcast again.

Mickey
09-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Fun shots Phil! Nice work.

I have had business just over the ridge in Silverdale, but only collected Mongolian Grill eats--gosh you'd think I was HUGE as much as I focus on eating!

Are you implying that they get more rain in Quinault than Seattle? Good point though, even just down the street in Olympia they get lots more rain than Seattle--or at least it sure seems that way driving through.
Ron, thank you very much. With your background, i can see why you know the area as well as me :-)

Super images on your web site - definitely worth visiting.

Phil
10-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The Northwest is a great area. I was stationed at Whidbey Island in the mid-60's and worked a number of years for the Navy (internal auditor) at Silverdale, Keyport, Bremerton, Everett, and my son lives in Olympia. Was there in July, and it was hot!!
10-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
Photography is all about light and what you do with it. An overcast day gives virtually no shadows and subdued contrast. So how do you use that to your advantage? On a grey day what would you photograph? (Yeah, my spelling of grey gives away the fact that I am in England, and grey days are the norm.)

Richard
Overcast days are great to do product photography, especially anything glossy or metallic.

The wall of my garage becomes my studio.

10-07-2009, 03:10 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Heres one shot from last weekend.

Overcast is great for waterfall photos also.
10-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #30
Inactive Account

I love grey days. This is from Oakland Lake in Bayside, NY last winter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
C990Z,D490Z  Photo