Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Backup Camera?

I have been using my k20d and am very happy with it. As much as I want to get a K7 there does not seem to be a great “picture quality” reason to do so.

I have been getting more serious with my photography and have a home studio and also have a “Strobist.com” lighting setup that I take with me on location. To my friends and family I am an expert, but I know better, and so do ya’ll. Nonetheless, I am improving. I am doing some portrait and modeling work to build my portfolio to set up a website. I have a day job and am a weekend (photographic ) warrior.

I am shooting more often, though and was wondering how many people have a backup camera. I have back up accessories so I think I know the answer to this question: should I get a back up camera? I was just wondering what others do who are doing this on the side.

Thanx so much.

Gregg

09-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you are serious about photography, you need a back up camera. You never know what can happen, so you have to play it safe. You can't stop a wedding because your camera has a bad day.
09-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the exception of when I first started, (and only had one camera) I have always had back-up cameras.

Here's how I did it, and note, back-up does not mean duplicate. In fact, I advocate that your back up camera should do something different than your main body. Specifically it should not be a back up as much as alternate use camera.

I started with a ricoh XR-2s, and when I went for a back up body, I wanted a plain ground glass focusing screen for use with long slow tele's (the split image in the ricoh would go black), and I wanted a body that did not rely on batteries to work. I bought a KX because it was mechanically timed, had the same lens mount, and Identical control and viewfinder layout down to the match needle metering arrangement. I could move between the bodies at will.

When I went to AF, I bought a PZ-1, and used my older MF bodies as back up.

When I went to digital, I started with the *istD, and travelled quite a lot with my PZ-1 for wide angle shots, because the *istD came with a full frame 17-35 lens. Again controls on both were similar, down to dual thumb wheels.

I have since moved on and bought both a K10D and K7D. My K10D has a split image focusing screen to use with my MF primes, but I still keep the *istD because it does some things very well, specifically, it can work in TTL mode, and therefore flash shots with old non A lenses is possible. It also does very well at ISO 1600, much better than K10D for example

I have never sold a single thing, and this is important. I can still shoot film, using almost every one of my 19 lenses on my KX with no batteries and I have all sorts of possibilities that would not exist if I continually sold the old bodies when I got a new one.

Think long term, for yoou, with a K20, and assuming the back up you want is digital not film, I would seriously consider an *istD, because it can do things that none of the K bodies can.
09-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My backup was my ever reliable primary camera for some time, the K10D.
If cost is an issue, the K10D is a great backup to the K20D - very similar layout you can sometimes forget which camera you're shooting with.

I agree that taking your photography to the next level, considering making money out of the vocation, needs an investment to ensure you get the job done right with the assurance that gear failure doesn't stop you from doing it - plus the bonus of not having to switch lenses on the job is more valuable than you think.

09-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Having a backup camera is a good idea for those serious about their photography.

I've had a backup camera since 1975.

In '75 I bought a new Pentax ES 11. I already had a Pentax S1a and used my S1a, which had been my primary (only) slr...as my backup to my ES 11.

In '81 my wife's K1000 (she had it before we married) as my primary camera and used the ES 11 and S1a as my backups.

Now in the digital age, I first bought my Pentax K10D in '07...then my KM (k2000) in '09.

My K10D is my primary camera, my KM my general daily carry around and my backup camera to the K10D.

I find a backup or second body, usefu.

I've killed the batteries (needed recharge) twice, once on the K10D, once on the KM...it was great to continue shooting with the other body till I had time to recharge.

When I go out for a photography session, I will have say my 16-45 on my K10D and my 50 F1.4 on the KM...for different perspectives. Sometimes I have one body attached to my 55-300 and the other body attached to my 50 F2.8 Macro, or 35-105 A Macro Zoom. It's handy. I carry the stuff in a camera bag.l
09-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently upgraded to the K20, about 5 months ago, from my K100. I kept it for several reasons - including being a backup, it is a great camera, it has a lower noise sensor and with that does have a bit of an edge on the K20 in that respect.

If you are going to consider a second body, I would get one - obviously a Pentax to share the lenses, but has some capabilities that the K20 does not. Like I said, the K100 does do ISO 3200, and does have a lower noise sensor since it is 6MP. Additionally, there are quite a few bodies below the K20 to choose from...

09-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought the K10D shortly after it came out and then spent money on glass and accessories. When the price of the K20D got really good before the K7 was released I jumped on it. I knew I wouldn't be able to afford the K7 right away and getting the K20D at the end of it's cycle set me up to buy the new stuff after the prices had dropped instead of being an early adopter. Like Lowell I never sell anything. So besides a couple of film cameras, I now have the K10D and the K20D and this works very well, batteries are interchangeable etc etc. Because I couldn't afford a 600/4 lens I wanted to take advantage of the K20D's extra resolution and cropping ability with my DA* 300/4 lens and although I prefer to manual focus I wanted the K20D's ability to adjust focus with individual lenses and it's intervalometer. Now when I go out in the woods I keep the 300/4 on the 20D and shoot wider angle lenses on the 10D. This keeps me from having to change the big guy out over and over in the field although I have to deal with carrying two cameras which isn't that big a deal, at least it's better than having to keep taking the 300/4 off to take a pic with another lens and then I see a moose or something:-).
I don't think twice about using the 10D, it takes fine pictures and still is a very important part of my kit and is used all the time along side of the 20D. I hope someday to have a K7 but carrying 3 cameras is going to be a pain:-).

09-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Here's how I did it, and note, back-up does not mean duplicate. In fact, I advocate that your back up camera should do something different than your main body. Specifically it should not be a back up as much as alternate use camera.
I disagree. My backup camera is a duplicate of my main squeeze. I take them out together oftimes, each sporting a different lens, thus avoiding changing lenses too often. I like the fact that whichever camera I grab will operate & feel exactly like the other, a seamless transition requiring no mental or physical adjustments as I concentrate on capturing the moment before me.
09-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this would make for a great survey,

I think 3 -4 questions only are necessary

1) is a back up necessary? Yes / No

2) would a back up be useful? Yes / No

if the answer to question 1 or 2 is yes,

3) should the back up be identical to the main camera yes / no

4) should the bakc up offer different functionality yes / no

So far there are 6 responders, plus the OP.

I sould consider since the OP asked if it was necessary he at present would answer No to 1 and yes to 2

overall I think the following summarizes the response.

1) 6 yes 1 undecided
2) 7 yes
3) 1 yes
4) 4 yes,

there was no opinion from the OP about functionality or from flyer
09-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I modified your survey slightly

1) is a back up necessary? Yes / No

2) would a back up be useful? Yes / No

if the answer to question 1 or 2 is yes,

3) Must the back up be identical to the main camera yes / no

4) Must the bakc up offer different functionality yes / no

Currently my primary is the K20D, with the K10D as a backup. More often than not the K10D is either with a different lens or with the second shooter (my wife). Beyond that, for situations where I am really paranoid about my backups, I take my trusty Sony F717. I've never had to use it, but you never know.
09-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
Nubi

I will have my backup when 645D comes out. :ugh:
09-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Iit has a lower noise sensor and with that does have a bit of an edge on the K20 in that respect.
Like I said, the K100 does do ISO 3200, and does have a lower noise sensor since it is 6MP.
I think you need to re-evaluate that. According to my tests and pretty much anything I've read, the K20D does high ISO better than the K100d. I suspect you're comparing 100% crops of each to come to this conclusion, rather than comparing them at the same size. Or maybe you're using different levels of NR. I did the test with NR off and found about 2/3 stop better performance in favour of the K20d.

I kept the K100DS when I bought the K20D. It wasn't worth much in a sale, and it's come in handy a couple of times due to its AA batteries. I usually leave the 18-250 on the K100D, so it's always ready to pick up and shoot. I haven't carried both cameras at once yet, but I've brought the K100 and left it nearby in case of a problem. If I buy a long prime for birding, I'll carry two cameras. I dropped my K20 hard once, and thought I'd have to send it in for repair. Having the backup was a very comforting feeling. I can't imagine not having a DSLR even for a few weeks.

Since I'm not a pro and never will be, I'll probably sell the K20 and keep the K100 next time I upgrade, because of its AA batteries, smallish size and low resale value.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-26-2009 at 06:00 AM.
09-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
Inactive Account

If I'm doing something really serious (as in a paid gig) I'm going to have backups to backups to backups. The other day when I shot a wedding (pro bono) for a friend, I used both my K10D and K100D Super in different situations. The K10 was used with the AF540 flash/Stofen diffuser and the K100 was used natural light with a -A50mm/f1.7 lens or the kit lens depending on need. However in my bag, I had a S1a and several rolls of Ektar as backup and to back that up, I had a Pentax IQZoom M90 P&S tucked into a corner of my bag. It may sound like overkill but I've met Mrs. Murphy's favorite son too many times.

CW
09-26-2009, 04:39 AM   #14
Inactive Account

K20D backed up by a K10D here.

Chief difference that matters for me is that K10D seems to take less noisy long duration exposures. I use that difference when it matters. I shot another interior recently and relegated the K20 to my backup on this one based on an experience I had over the summer.

Back ups to the backup?

There is always a Canon G camera in my bag (soon to be a G10), and frankly when it really counts I have a Nikon AF film body handy. Sometimes an F100, sometimes an F80. Usually with a 28-80mm and 70-210mm handy, and usually loaded with Fuji 160 of some kind.

woof!
09-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you

Hi:

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I like the idea of having a backup, other than the expense, now that I am beginning to grow my hobby into a weekend business.

My sense is that I would either get a k20d or k7 as a backup. I understand the idea of having a camera that does something different than my primary, but I think since my stuff is so new and I do not have any film or older digital equipment I would go with a second k20d or k7.

I have been watching the k7 go down a bit in price on Amazon. Not sure if that is a good sign, but i will keep watching.

Gregg