Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Finally found inspiration!

I took a ride to Statesboro, GA a few weeks ago to pick up some stuff. The main route I took was US 301. I went with my dad, and he was explaining to me how US 301 used to be a major highway, especially from Florida to South Carolina (It runs from Florida to Maryland). Before I-95 was built, US 301 was the major way to travel between the two states (and Georgia). Today, thanks to I-95, US 301 is somewhat of a ghost highway.

Where there had been many operational motels, there now are very few open, and the ones that are, are very run down. The truck stops have closed, the restaurants have closed, and the Stuckeys' have closed. Of particular interest to me is the closed section of road and bridges right before entering GA. There is also an abandoned SC welcome center.

In my community, there is a great deal of animosity towards I-95, because it has taken away a major source of revenue from the CSRA area. I spoke with a few people, who all had very vocal opinions of I-95 and the 'death' of US 301.

I see great photographic opportunities along the sides of this abandoned road, and feel led to capture it somehow. I'm not a writer, but I do enjoy writing, and I was thinking of making something of a 'article' or photo essay on the death of US 301, and interviewing some locals on the subject and pitching it to the local newspapers and some magazines.

My main concern is how to get permission to photograph these abandoned places. I talked to a State Trooper friend of mine, and he said that if I wanted to take pictures of the abandoned welcome center and bridges, that I could, and that I probably would not get into any kind of trouble with any law enforcement agencies. I'm trying to figure out who to contact to see if I could possibly photograph the inside of the welcome center. I don't know? The state? SCDOT?

Anyways, I'm glad I found inspiration! Now to find the time!

I'm still torn whether to shoot it all with my ME Super on B&W film, or in color with my K10D. I'm leaning towards digital, since it better shows the current state of decay.

RD

09-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Why not shoot it with both film and digital? It think that would be a great way to capture it as fully as possible.

Anyway, sounds like a great idea. You should try and find some archived photos of the road in its heyday. It would no doubt help with a pitch for the papers.

I lived in Muncie, IN while in college, and it was an old industrial town that had lost most of the industry that built it. I loved going out and taking pictures of the abandoned buildings.
09-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey, I drive by there all the time. Always thought it looked interesting. The partially destroyed road that runs parallel with 301 has me wondering abouts its history, as well as the swing bridge that was left open forever.
09-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From what I know and understand, you can shoot what ever you want so long as you shoot from public property...You can even shoot into private property, so long as you are standing on public property when you make the image....

10-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a great project to me, good luck and I can't wait to see some of your photos!
10-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As far as going into the Welcome Center you would need to find out who is the current land owner (Probably SC DOT) and get them to let you in. You don't want to risk trespassing. I'm sure that if you explain the reasoning for your photography they will not have an issue. They may even have some old photos of it from when it was open.