Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Questions about Canvas print

Hello,

I'm looking at doing some Canvas print, but I never done that so I have a few questions:

Does it really enhanced your pictures to print on canvas vs a traditional poster print?
If it does, what website do you use to print Canvas?
Do you just hang your canvas or do you use a frame around it?

Thank you for help,
Yael

09-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can't offer any read advice although I am about to take the plunge as well. For me what I have gathered.

1. Yes you will need to frame it as it will just come printed on Canvas
2. Some people say you have to sharpen the image a little more for canvas , but I can't speak to that.

I guess some sound advice is go to a shop you trust, one that will assist you in the printing. They shouls be able to look at the image and offer suggestions if need be (maybe it needs to be upsized or cropped , etc), and most importantly will only deliver an image you are happy with.
09-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was thinking of getting the stretched canvas (there is that frame on the inside at the back), but some come with an extra frame around. So that was more my questions.

Where I'm at, the only photo places are Walmart and Walgreens so I'm looking at online solution.

Thanks for the info Dave.
09-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Canvas will tend to give you a softer, more "painterly" look. The photos probably will not look quite as sharp as they might on something like a glossy paper. That may or may not be good - depends on the photo.

The frame is usually called a "stretcher frame". You can get the photo stretched around the outside of the frame, so it's sort of a wraparound. Alternatively, you can get it with a sort of border on the sides. I think the first kind is called a "gallery wrap" and the second is a "museum wrap."

There are a number of places online that you can get it done. I've never used any, but Mpix.com does canvases and I've used them for other kinds of prints and been happy.

Good luck, hope it turns out!

09-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stretcher frame are good but Gallery wrap is better I think, though the price is way high! It pretty much doubles. The standout solution seems to be nice too, but it isn't on Canvas, just paper.

Regarding the painting look of if, that is what I like about Canvas but thank you to remind me I will loose some sharpness because of it.

I've hear of MPix before but I've never used them.

Is there anyone who printed canvas online we could give me advice and or more website to go to?

Thank you.