Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

Tips for the Colorblind

I'm colorblind and have a terrible time trying to get accurate or at least appealing colors in my photos. I've gotten more than a few purple skies trying to adjust color balance.

My solution in my bachelor days was to shoot primarily B&W. But these days I have a wife who demands color photos from family events. It's starting to take the fun out of my favorite hobby.

Anyone have any tips for taking a more objective approach to color balance if the objective visual approach doesn't work for you?

10-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nilesj Quote
I'm colorblind and have a terrible time trying to get accurate or at least appealing colors in my photos. I've gotten more than a few purple skies trying to adjust color balance.

My solution in my bachelor days was to shoot primarily B&W. But these days I have a wife who demands color photos from family events. It's starting to take the fun out of my favorite hobby.

Anyone have any tips for taking a more objective approach to color balance if the objective visual approach doesn't work for you?
Auto WB, (My K20d seems to be pretty conservative about correcting: that suits me fine, if I remember to turn the AWB on. Usually I leave it on daylight and sorta throw the in camera corractions in the direction that feels right if things get too weird, which may not work for you) ...choosing among your presets, and histograms come to mind. Maybe with a friend to help. I'm primarily a B&W shooter, myself, and I tend to find that perfect corrections for artificial light tend to just come off looking kind of 'plastic,' ...not really what it looked like at the time.

Color temperature meters also do exist, though they're pricey. You could use one of those and just enter the value right in camera.

In film days, we mostly made do with the grossest of corrections, btw, ...pretty much by rote, and sorted it out, or had it sorted in printing.
10-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for every new lighting situation or the beginning of each shot, use a white balance card. I use a 18% grey microfiber cloth that I wipe my lens with, it was on ebay. there are also snap on front element WB gizmos.

good luck!