Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
So what does the PO do in your country for a package?
Peter, I live North of Toronto and have had not only Canada Post, but UPS, Purolator leave those : "we tried to deliver a package to you but were not home" stickers, even when i watch the deliver guy walk up to my house, not even knock on the door and leave.
I had a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR lens delivered from Camera Canada in 2006 and had them send it with a sig request. After 5 days of waiting i contacted CC and they said it should have been delivered and would trace it.
Later that day, i went into my garage to get something, and there on my work bench was the lens package. It had been just left there and had probably been there for 3-5 days.

Its just poor service and lazy people.

Dave Brooks

10-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #32
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well these guys are idiots. If you were a thief, you could easily continue the claim and get either a free lens or a cheque. With over 700 Ebay deals and about 60 here plus other online purchases, I've never had that happen in either Nova Scotia or PEI with any form of shipping.
10-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

They also say in NSW that Qlders are 10 years and 1 hour behind...
Now that I'm a Qlder (from NSW) - I don't see that as a pay out anymore.

As for Toowoomba, just like anywhere else, there are good areas and not so good areas in terms of crime. Most of the little city is quite safe even in the dead of night - I could count the spots on one hand where I'd be weary about people stealing stuff that's not under lock and key...

In fact our neighbours here have on numerous occasions left their home unlocked when going out - even on short trips, just in case auntie May across the road needed something for the house (well, she was also feeding the Great Dane in the backyard, who'd scare the living crap out of any stranger who tried to come in...
I tend to think of it as the Armidale of the north - sorta picturesque, up a hill, and christ help you if you're still on the street after 6PM.

Is that used bookstore still there, Mackenzie's or something? Love that place.

Did I mention I did a six-year stretch up the road in Warwick...?
10-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #34
Site Supporter

That's how its done here also Peter. USPS, UPS and FedEx all do it that way. If you do request delivery signature it is nowhere near as expensive for any of them either.

10-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I sent my brother my old P&S camera, worth about $300 and it was left on his doorstep for the whole night while he was at the pub. Now I just send stuff to my parents who I know will be home 80% of the time because I can't trust AP to look after packages.
10-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #36
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
If Oz Post is in the habit of leaving packages on your doorstep [doesn't happen in my area] then they must be paying out a fortune on lost claim's.

Any customer of Oz Post would be well entitled to full compensation with this kind or lack of service.
Well if this were to happen, then Aus Post would stop doing it...
Testament that mail crime is quite minimal in those areas mail is left on the doorstep.
10-08-2009, 12:12 AM   #37
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I tend to think of it as the Armidale of the north - sorta picturesque, up a hill, and christ help you if you're still on the street after 6PM.

Is that used bookstore still there, Mackenzie's or something? Love that place.

Did I mention I did a six-year stretch up the road in Warwick...?
Mate, there is a used bookstore in town, but I'm not sure it's called that.
What were you doing at Warwick?

10-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #38
Veteran Member

A six year stint? Surely not for a mail related offense?

I live in an area that is not quite close enough, nor far enough from the PO to get mail delivered, instead I have to track down to the PO to get my mail every day.

Advantage: nothing has ever been left at my doorstep.

Disadvantage: the staff always threaten to let my wife know of the latest camera purchase!!!
10-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What were you doing at Warwick?
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
A six year stint? Surely not for a mail related offense?
Worse: boarding school.

Anyone hear want to know how much of a hole Warwick is?

We had our highschool formal in Toowoomba. That's right - between going with somewhere local (I think the place they held it in the year before gave everyone food poisoning, and our school was...no longer welcome at the other places) and driving a hundred ks, the school chose the latter.

I think the idea was that getting back at 11pm would prevent us having a massive pissup afterwards.

Heh.
10-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

This is neither a story about the post office, nor does it have anything to do with Australia, but it does have to do with an epic fail of a parcel delivery company.

Several years ago I bought some spare parts fro my MacBeth densitometer. I new light source and a couple of other bits for both the transmission and reflective parts of the unit.
MacBeth, it seems, uses UPS exclusively, so if I wanted the parts, I had to accept their shipping.
I hate UPS.
Anyway, one day I got home after work and noticed a somewhat beaten on cardboard box in the gutter of the street in front of my house.
I went to pick it up, intending to toss it in the garbage, and discovered, to my surprise, that it was my box of parts from Macbeth.
UPS hadn't even managed to get the thing onto my property, and to boot, they wanted 55 buck for brokerage fees.
After they finally sent it to collections I asked their agent to get a signed delivery receipt from their client and I would happily pay the fee.
Sadly for them, they couldn't provide that information.
I kinda felt that since they hadn't gotten the parcel onto my property, they hadn't actually completed the delivery part of the contract.
10-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
Have never heard of Oz Post leaving packages on doorsteps

I live in a country town with a mailbox [locked] & if there is a parcel/package that won't fit through the normal mail slot, a note is left for me to pick up from the local Post Office at my time & cost.

It sounds more like a private courier service has delivered this package ??????
Same here ... if it doesn't fit in the mailbox ... I have a card left for me to go to the post office and pick it up ... always ... and that's on the basic mailed stuff as well.

I have had Australia Air Express just leave stuf on my door step ... and they have to get stuff signed for as well ... was shocked.

i do part time courier delivery .... and I don't just leave stuff on the doorstep ... unless otherwise instructed to do so ... and even though I hide it make sure it is sheltered at least ... but it is rear to leave anything at someone's door.
10-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
UPS will leave packages in the vestibule-- it was just luck I was home to take delivery of the A*400mm. Our very nice USPS mailman (who happens to live in the neighborhood) would never do that. The downside is that claiming a package at the P.O. invariably involves being subjected to surly service by the nasty woman there for whom the simplest transaction seems intolerably burdensome.