Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone from Au ever heard of this sucky Postal delivery service?

I sold an expensive lens on Ebay a few weeks ago and included free shipping. The buyer didn't want to pay extra for insurance which would have required a signature. So at his risk, it was shipped. Canada Post ships it to Australian customs and then Au post picks it up. They then deliver the lens (clearly with $750 marked on the customs label) to the guy's home and he tells me they left it on the doorstep.

On the doorstep??????? Are they serious???? Canada Post leaves a pickup hanger on the door and you have to go to the post office to get anything that won't fit in your letter box.

If that's how it's done down under, I won't sell anything there again unless the buyer wants to pay the $50 surcharge for a signature confirmation.

So what does the PO do in your country for a package?

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-01-2009 at 07:31 PM.
10-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hey Peter,

Yes, for a standard 'parcel post' they will usually just leave it at the house.
In order for a note to be left, it needs to be what we call 'registered post'. This doesn't strictly need a signature, but someone has to be there to recieve and the package is trackable.

I don't think the buyer was very smart in this case...
I'm not sure how you need to send it to ensure that it's sent as 'registered' when it gets to AU. I know if I send something domestic, it usually doesn't cost much more to get it registered.

From a buyers point of view, I always get packages delivered to work. That way someone can always receive it...
10-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
That is terrible service. The cost to send Air Parcel was $32.00 and with signature confirmation it was $81.00. He didn't want to pay that. But I'm shocked they would deliver that way. You must not have any crime in Australia.

In Canada, every parcel with or without a signature must be delivered to your hand. A CP employee would be fired for leaving it on the doorstep.
10-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Australia can be a bit backwards, something we have to live with sometimes.
For me, it's surprising that the sig confirmation costs that much more though.
For us, to send it registered it's usually say $5 extra.

It can also be quicker to order something from overseas (like the US) than it might be to get something delivered from the eastern states.
ie. I live on the west coast, delivery from the east (sydney, melbourne etc) takes a long time!

I guess our postal service is just not that efficient compared to other countries.
Although it can be quite cheap, and is usually safe.

10-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
The cost was due to the distance. Canada Post is probably charging more than USPS and a few others but they claim it's tough to get the info if there's a problem. Of course CP makes a profit and USPS has been loosing money (and undercharging) for years. Also that service is faster (about half the time) so you're payong extra for that too.

At least I know for the future. That's not going to happen again.
10-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes that is how it is done down here If it is not Registered Mail eg. signed for. With Registered Mail a note will be left in the mail box for a post office pickup if you are not home. Us Aussies are to trusting (: Thats why I like tracking numbers, so I know when to be home or I will get it sent to the P.O Box.
10-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Rarely do people steal others' mail here in Australia.
I've not lived in any 'unsafe' areas in the country yet, but it's generally appreciated that peoples' mail can be left at the doorstep by courier services if they're not at home.

I've been at home most of the time for my packages so it hasn't been a problem. Once I was told by the courier that I was not home when he came by with the parcel, so he took it home with him to deliver again the next business day. All of my deliveries needed to be signed off (most from B&H).

Overall, the system works well as it is IMO.
10-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know this will shock you, but that's how it is here in the US too... I have to specify signature confirmation, or the parcel will be left on someone's doorstep. Within the US, adding signature confirmation isn't too expensive, and I'll usually spring for it myself for the added confort of knowing a lens won't get all the way to the buyer and be stolen from their porch (we do have crime here )... UPS will often leave stuff on my porch also, though if I remember correctly, FedEx seems to always require a signature.

10-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
That is terrible service. The cost to send Air Parcel was $32.00 and with signature confirmation it was $81.00. He didn't want to pay that. But I'm shocked they would deliver that way. You must not have any crime in Australia.

In Canada, every parcel with or without a signature must be delivered to your hand. A CP employee would be fired for leaving it on the doorstep.
I'm not familiar with Canada Post but very familiar with USPS which my brother often uses to send things to me in Australia. Let's use for example a 2-lb pkg ample for a zoom lens plus packaging, there are basically three options:

1) First-class (Air) International: $18, no insurance offered, no signature req'd.
2) Priority International: $31, nominal $70 insurance included, signature req'd.
3) Express International: $38 with higher insurance, signature req'd.

Australia Post does only what is contracted & required of it, i.e. delivery and getting the signature if applicable. It is not responsible for delivering a no-signature parcel to someone's hand if the person is not home. I'd say it is more due to Canada Post not offering customers as good options as USPS does.

By the way next time (if there is one) you can get around the doorstep problem by sending to: His name c/o Postoffice of his suburb. They will hold it there until he comes in asking for it, with his ID.
10-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Peter,
I am assuming that 'he' got the lens? and it hasn't gone missing?

I certainly would only be sending anything via registered mail unless someone can guarantee that they will be home....which of course they cant.
Cheers
Grant

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I sold an expensive lens on Ebay a few weeks ago and included free shipping. The buyer didn't want to pay extra for insurance which would have required a signature. So at his risk, it was shipped. Canada Post ships it to Australian customs and then Au post picks it up. They then deliver the lens (clearly with $750 marked on the customs label) to the guy's home and he tells me they left it on the doorstep.

On the doorstep??????? Are they serious???? Canada Post leaves a pickup hanger on the door and you have to go to the post office to get anything that won't fit in your letter box.

If that's how it's done down under, I won't sell anything there again unless the buyer wants to pay the $50 surcharge for a signature confirmation.

So what does the PO do in your country for a package?
10-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Actually, I will go one better. Registered Post to be signed for.....maybe!!
I had a Registered item left on my doorstep, clearly marked Registered. Parcels are delivered on Private Contract basis, so these days, anything goes it seems.
I stood at my front window and watched a Parcel Contractor, fill out a card in her truck and place it in my mailbox, all because she could not be bothered climbing 10 stairs to my front door to gain a signature. I caught her before she left, with a VERY red face. (My parcel was in the truck the whole time, incidentally)

I spent about 30 years as a Manager with AP, and be assured, anything like goes on today, just was not tolerated. I retired in '95.

I could write a book on the inefficiencies and inconsistencies of AP.
10-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Very true Bruce.
That sort of thing was at the back of my mind when posting before...

I have had (possibly greater?!) issues and inconsistencies with private transport companies here however. I have always ended up with the item, but it's really frustrating when you have to drive 45mins to the depot because the driver can't be bothered getting out of the truck..
10-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I've had everything from expensive cameras and lenses, to computer parts left on the steps.
USPS, UPS, and Fedex don't pay any attention to sigs or package scanning out here in the rural areas. They just want to hurry and get done with their route.
10-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where I live the driver will leave the parcel at the post office and a collect from the post office card if nobody is home. I'm inner city Melbourne and living in a block of flats. I suppose it is up to the delivery driver's discretion. Parcels normally go via a van versus the postman/letter drop delivery person unless they are seriously small.
10-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Have never heard of Oz Post leaving packages on doorsteps

I live in a country town with a mailbox [locked] & if there is a parcel/package that won't fit through the normal mail slot, a note is left for me to pick up from the local Post Office at my time & cost.

It sounds more like a private courier service has delivered this package ??????