Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still say the Asahi Pentax K was the best 35mm slr out in 1958. I will not recognize dpr as a reputable web site until they firmly acknowledge this fact.

This smile is for you Gus.

Troll

10-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even though I'm not shooting with Pentax anymore, I will say that I am tickled that the K7 got the DPReview "Highly Recommended" rating. It's about time that Pentax got some positive attention. If I had stayed with Pentax, the K7 would've most likely found it's way into my bag at some point.

I don't think that the naysayers will ever be content and they just need to put a sock in it. Perhaps they have all contracted a case of RH-itis.

Heather
10-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Since posting last, I had a brainstorm and want to elaborate more on RH-itis.

The most obvious symptom of RH-itis is chronic malcontent with one's camera gear and/or mount. No matter what new and improved offerings that their mount presents in the way or bodies and lenses, they can never be satisfied, yet they refuse to switch to a mount that will better meet their needs. As the disease progresses, you will find them spreading their malcontented negative venom to others, most commonly via photography-related forums (i.e. PentaxForums), thus agitating otherwise contented and happy photographers. At it's worst, the malcontent will spread to other areas of an infected person's life, thus making them a royal pain in the you-know-what to deal with, in general. As of yet, no known cure exists.

Heather
10-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Relax guys, it's just a product that you own and not something that defines you as a person.
Wait, it doesn't define me? Than who am I?

Oh wait, I'm a Mac. I feel better now...

10-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Don't let the boureoisie get you down Gus, a whole bunch of good people left there over the years.
10-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Since posting last, I had a brainstorm and want to elaborate more on RH-itis.

The most obvious symptom of RH-itis is chronic malcontent with one's camera gear and/or mount. No matter what new and improved offerings that their mount presents in the way or bodies and lenses, they can never be satisfied, yet they refuse to switch to a mount that will better meet their needs. As the disease progresses, you will find them spreading their malcontented negative venom to others, most commonly via photography-related forums (i.e. PentaxForums), thus agitating otherwise contented and happy photographers. At it's worst, the malcontent will spread to other areas of an infected person's life, thus making them a royal pain in the you-know-what to deal with, in general. As of yet, no known cure exists.

Heather
Well Heather, lets just agree to disagree shall we? Up until the K-7, Pentax did not have a DSLR body that was up to the quality standard of their lenses.
To a certain extent the K-7 still falls short in some key areas, but it is enough of an improvement that some (or perhaps most) of us who were legitimately unhappy with the performance of prior bodies are now happy.

Frankly, I don't know what it would take to make RH happy, I suspect it would look and perform something like an EOS 1Ds MarkIII, though even then, he would probably find some fault that would ruin the experience for him. He is, however a special case, most of us want to be happy with our camera equipment, but also want a little more performance.

Some, or probably most of the people on this forum have a few zoom lenses, perhaps a prime or two, and could change systems with little or no problem.
Others have a significant investment in some of the best glass that Pentax has produced, and don't want to, or can't afford to take the financial or time hit that selling equipment and replacing it would entail, especially when it would involve giving up the very reason for using Pentax in the first place, which is the lenses.

The other side of the coin is that there also seems to be no cure for the professional Pentax apologists who come out of the woodwork to make mock of the people who want to see better camera bodies that will take full advantage of what the lenses have to offer.
10-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I agree with you in principle Wheatfield, but their is no shortage of the people who would never be happy with the perfect camera either. If for no other reason there would be a debate over its power source. RH serves as a caricature of such people. The point I'm making is that debate is good. The term "fanboy" is just a cheap shot that is used much of the time as an attempt to discredit someone in a debate or with a point of view.

I have had Pentax film gear for decades and collect vintage stuff as a working collection. However, I put off getting a digital Pentax for a long time and finally got the K200d and K20d. The *istD would have probably been a good macro platform for me but not at the $1700 price point it came out at. I use the K200d like most people use a P&S and the K20d is mainly my current macro platform.

10-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Who is RH and Blue what is the thing dancing in your previous post?
10-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
RH is the Antichrist and naming him can cause all sorts of problems.
Think of what happened to the little girl in The Exorcist.
To avoid naming him directly, I shall have to make two posts.

"Rice
10-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

High"

more characters
10-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
The review of the K7 is up in DPR and they are already complaining! They are truly unbelievable in their 'over the top' need to be comforted in the camera purchase.
It would be different if they could actually use their cameras. Some of the biggest complainers would benefit greatly by whining less and learning more. Even Pentax can't save them.

Yes that was mean, but the most useful thing on DPR is the ignore button.
10-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
They are actually one and the same . . . a dancing Troll personified!