Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Igilligan

"The Fanboys have lost their minds...

"Highly Recommended"

The review of the K7 is up in DPR and they are already complaining! They are truly unbelievable in their 'over the top' need to be comforted in the camera purchase.

Some are complaining that DPR does not get the "gestalt" of the K7. That they were not enthusiastic enough... That they did not mention enough positives in the PRO column...

Highly recommended was not enough for them. Honestly some of those fools would not be happy unless DPR proclaimed it 'Pentax K7 the Perfect Camera'.

It is a very good, fair review, that should help Pentax sell quite a few more cameras, and that is not enough for the Penfascists...

Last edited by Igilligan; 10-02-2009 at 12:49 PM.
10-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
emr

Gus, I tend to agree. As a Pentax user I have to say that I find many posts on this forum quite amusing. Like lately those commenting reviews of K-7. Whenever a review critizises the camera, it's obviously a flawed or biased review. But the reviews recommending or praising it are well done and fair. Relax guys, it's just a product that you own and not something that defines you as a person.
10-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gus, you've mentioned the key to what brings about the disdain with Pentax... their preconceived attitude towards the brand as a wannabe pro label that can't do anything right. Indeed they wouldn't want to 'get the hang of' the gestalt of the K-7, quickly dismissing it as another try-hard body that falls short of snobbish expectations.

I also agree the reviews aren't too biased and do give a decent attempt at objectively appraising each significant feature of the gear.
10-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Banned

personally Gus, I wouldn't let myself get too worked up by it all. you have to understand that as a brand, Pentax is currently the underdog, trying its damnedest to claw its way back into the limelight and play with the big boys. its only natural, that those who really like the brand are going to always be on the defensive in an effort to "protect" the brand and its image, to bolster its image and the like. it isn't unreasonable to expect such behaviour in my opinion, and personally I fail to see the point in worrying about it. much less resorting to off hand insults such as "Penfascists". despite what you might think, its a fair bit worse in the canon and nikon camps. particularly the nikonians defending themselves against the canon juggernaut.

10-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Igilligan

Ok, I will call them Loyal Pentaxians

I guess I am just tired... the last two years when ever there is any attempt to discuss any issues with pentax cameras or lenses, many of the same loyal pentaxians are the first to call myself and others trolls, or worse.

To see them whining that Highly recommended is not good enough, is just a bit much. They just can not let go of the "DPR hates Pentax" mindset. They are discussing the 'tone of the reviewer' for goodness sake.

The Loyal Pentax Owners are the first to attack any attempt at honest dialog. They attempt to immediately steer the conversation with personal attacks.

30 years with Pentax cameras and somehow I am a troll...
10-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I guess I am just tired... the last two years when ever there is any attempt to discuss any issues with pentax cameras or lenses, many of the same loyal pentaxians are the first to call myself and others trolls, or worse.

To see them whining that Highly recommended is not good enough, is just a bit much. They just can not let go of the "DPR hates Pentax" mindset. They are discussing the 'tone of the reviewer' for goodness sake.

The Loyal Pentax Owners are the first to attack any attempt at honest dialog. They attempt to immediately steer the conversation with personal attacks.

30 years with Pentax cameras and somehow I am a troll...
ive been called the same thing for just mentioning Pentax, and don't even get me started on the bashing I have taken when mentioning Takumars amongst the company of L lens fanboys....you are letting idiotic internet nonsense get to you Gus. I wont disagree, that its ridiculous beyond belief that people would bash a review that ended with "highly recommended" but it still doesn't change my opinion that its a bit foolish to even worry about it. you are above such behaviour, so why not just let it roll off you shoulder and go about taking the lovely photos we all know you are capable of. (I never tire of seeing photos of your lovely daughter)
10-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Reviews simply provide one person or entity's experience and opinion of a camera. If DPR was the ONLY place in the whole world that you could find a camera review and everything they said was absolute gospel truth then maybe, I might be able to accept a little more fanboyism. The fact is, is that that for many people the user reviews on Amazon are more important than DPR.

Quick test,
---------------- K7---------vs-------------50d
build quality--9.5--------------------------9
Ergonomics---8.5--------------------------8.5
Features------9.5 --------------------------9.5
IQ--------------8.5--------------------------8.5
Speed----------8.5--------------------------9
Value-----------8.5 --------------------------8

Looks to me like Pentax did just fine.

10-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gus - I agree with you buddy, I really do, but on this I side with séamuis... Now get out there and shoot with that museum piece I sold you! !
10-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Igilligan

Oh you two...

would pee on my fire, even if it was keeping me warm.

I can't rise above it all... I just have such dislike for some of those clowns. Not pretty I know. It turns me into a grumpy gus.

Josh, I still have not put the 'antique' on the camera for a real shoot yet. Have just hit a inspirational lull... but the weekend is here, so soon. The summer colors are gone and the fall colors are not here yet... and I am in full on blahville. My anger and disgust of the Loyal Pentaxians is all the emotion I can muster.
10-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Its Ok to pee on a Pentax, they're waterproof

Dpreview seems like the wild west of forums to me. I was savaged the other day for daring to defend Pentax on SDM - some days I can't win for all the losing.

Frankly, i think the real problem is the moderation seems to be slack at dpreview. Name calling and attacks are just fine.

So glad to get back to Pentax Forums (but don't tell that to the moderators) where i only get warnings, occasionally, about posting in the wrong forum
10-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
Igilligan

I got scolded for doing exactly the opposite... haha
10-05-2009, 04:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Honestly some of those fools would not be happy unless DPR proclaimed it 'Pentax K7 the Perfect Camera'.
DPR should do that. After all, K meant 'King of SLR' in the cam's name and what else could be more perfect than the (latest) king?
10-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
Seemed like a good review to me, the only thing that bothered me was the off handed way they referred to the WR as giving some protection.
Small point probably, but it seemed petty.
10-05-2009, 05:46 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
Seemed like a good review to me, the only thing that bothered me was the off handed way they referred to the WR as giving some protection.
Small point probably, but it seemed petty.
its these little things, that are the reason I don't bother with DP review. its not that I think they were purposely trying to downplay any aspect, or paint pentax in a bad light. its that they don't choose their words well enough and they don't give proper attention to things that deserve it. a WR kit lens is a big deal, and its something the other manufacturers aren't even thinking about. particularly since a lot of canikons would bash pentax for this very reason. "yea they have a sealed body, but no sealed lenses for most people to afford." now they have a complete package and it wasn't even highlighted. who else has this? its not that I think DP review is being unfair, as im sure they do this on just about every review no matter the manufacturer. the simple fact is that they are just poor at reviewing my opinion. thorough, for sure. but still poor overall.
10-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
....'Pentax K7 the Perfect Camera'.
Hey, I'd be happy to just find the perfect camera bag!