Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nobel Prize from my home province. -The CCD

As some might know I'm from Nova Scotia (so is Marc Langille and several other PF members). It was a pleasant surprise to wake up this morning and hear that the Nobel Prize was awarded to a native of my home province. Had George Smith and Willard Boyle (from Wallace Nova Scotia, Canada) not invented the CCD in 1969, we might not all be chatting on these forums about cameras. Or at least not the same way.

I kinda thought it was cool that CCD's were invented by someone from my part of the world. In fact Boyle comes from Wallace NS which is not far from where Marc's family is from. Boyle is now living in Halifax at age 85 and seems to have had an interesting life. His dad was a doctor who worked in the northern lumber camps of Quebec and was home schooled till grade 9 and then got his various degrees at McGill in Montreal. He flew Spitfires in WWII (Glad the Germans didn't get him!) and joined Bell Labs in 1959. He holds 30 patents from his research.

10-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It is also nice to see that Québec had something to do with his achievements.:ugh:
10-06-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting history lesson. Thanks for sharing that Peter.
An accolade worthy of a prize - it's still a useful piece of breakthrough technology today...
10-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Yeah the list of things CCD's are used in is really huge when you look at it. From the Hubble telescope to the fax machine. This was supposed to be a memory chip design but they realized it was a better imagining device than a memory device.

Still produces great photos today. Yves, clearly Quebec had a lot to do with it. He was only born here but educated in Montreal.

10-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #5

But they did the CCD work in New Jersey, at Bell Labs in Murray Hill, which was at that time, as my boss, an ex-Bell Labs guyalways told us, the greatest concentration of research talent in the Free World.

But I also give credit to another famous Nova Scotian - Alexander Graham Bell. Without him, no Bell System, no Bell Labs, and no Telstar by the Ventures either. Saw his estate in Baddeck when I was in your fine province.
10-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
As some might know I'm from Nova Scotia (so is Marc Langille and several other PF members). It was a pleasant surprise to wake up this morning and hear that the Nobel Prize was awarded to a native of my home province. Had George Smith and Willard Boyle (from Wallace Nova Scotia, Canada) not invented the CCD in 1969, we might not all be chatting on these forums about cameras. Or at least not the same way.

I kinda thought it was cool that CCD's were invented by someone from my part of the world. In fact Boyle comes from Wallace NS which is not far from where Marc's family is from. Boyle is now living in Halifax at age 85 and seems to have had an interesting life. His dad was a doctor who worked in the northern lumber camps of Quebec and was home schooled till grade 9 and then got his various degrees at McGill in Montreal. He flew Spitfires in WWII (Glad the Germans didn't get him!) and joined Bell Labs in 1959. He holds 30 patents from his research.
Thank God he came to the U.S. Grateful he did. Never would have got the funding up north.

Edit: Shouldn't this be in the General Talk section?
10-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
It could be GT but being as it's a camera part, it works here too. You are absolutely right Gr8. If it wasn't for the USA nothing would have ever happened and we would all be living in caves. Thank Goodness for America. What would we do without you?

Damn you P*ss me off sometimes.....

10-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
It could be GT but being as it's a camera part, it works here too. You are absolutely right Gr8. If it wasn't for the USA nothing would have ever happened and we would all be living in caves. Thank Goodness for America. What would we do without you?

Damn you P*ss me off sometimes.....
Mission accomplished!

Peter I am just messing around with you, you know. No hard feelings?
10-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Thank God he came to the U.S. Grateful he did. Never would have got the funding up north.

Thanks god, there are brains from outside US that come here to fill the gap
10-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You seem to think you (Americans) have a monopoly on geniuses. So, here is a short list of Canadian
inventions:

Zipper (be glad it's there to hold your pants)
Java computer language
light bulb (in Canada 1 year before Edison "invented it)
Frozen meals (two years before it went for sale in the U.S.)
Wonder Bra (ask your wife if she appreciates it)
Snow blower (not that you care)
Snowmobile
Finger prints readers
Insuline
Blackberry (the phone, not the fruit)
Sonar (yes, another great Canadian invention)
Telephone (woman's best friend)
AIDS medication 3TC
G-Suits (ask your Air Force if they appreciate)
Electron microscope
Electric wheelchair
Canada arm (really appreciated on the space shuttle)
Artificial hand (myo-electric)
Baseball (yes, it was played in Canada before migrating to the U.S.)

And I could bring many more.
There's a joke that goes like that:

In January, the Americans announce an invention
In February, the Russians announce they invented it 20 years before
In March, the Japaneses put it on the market.

It is true you have quite a few geniuses in the States, but some other countries also do.

Now, I hope this pi$$es you off too.
10-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very cool - my Dad was born in Bedford - I have a boat load of relatives in NS and the maritime in general (mom was from Summerside) . I spent 4 years in the Annapolis Valley (Greenwood - Air Force Brat) - last I was back there was '82 I need to get back as my wife has never been east of Sasketewan (in Canada anyway)
10-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Mission accomplished!

Peter I am just messing around with you, you know. No hard feelings?

But it doesn't come across as funny most of the time. And it's not because it's lost in the written word either. I was watching The Daily show the other day and JS was making fun of the various Right wing talking heads. O'Reilly, Beck, Limbaugh etc

The clips he played over and over again was them screaming at the top of their lungs hw great America is. The quoted phrase was "America is one of the greatest, no, correct that, THE greatest country ever on the face of the earth."

This sentiment is repeated everywhere. Tourists who come to visit will say it, the media repeats it all the time. Frankly it's arrogant and it's inccorect. There are plenty of countries all over the place that are just as great to live in. Maybe for different reasons but equally great. Plus who gives a shit? If you have to puff up your chest and shout it from the roof that you are so great, then you are hiding something that would tell us otherwise.

As the old saying says. "Actions speak louder than words"

It's fine to be proud of where you live*, I clearly am of my home (see my avatar) but but I don't try to convince you of that or shove it down your throat. Most of the rest of us feel that's what a percentage (not all to be fair) of Americans do and it doesn't sit well.

* and guess what? I do think the US is a great place. Fantastic landscape, great people, lots of opportunity. Just no better than dozens of other great places.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-07-2009 at 08:37 AM.
10-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Best Place to Live: List of Countries on 2009 UN HDI | NowPublic News Coverage
10-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Yves, I gotta laugh at the list (in a fun way)
Snowmobile Who else would need or want one?? Same for the Snowblower
Frozen foods? Yeah I can see that for obvious reasons.

Dont forget Basketball as well as the
TV instant replay (1955 CBC TV)
and tied as my favourites:
The Wonder Bra. Man those things could poke out an eye!
The Poutine, not surprising with the Poutine that we also invented the Pacemaker.....
10-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Ahh but we missed out on the trailing lights for the puck ( Fox Sports )

Canadian , Amercian, Sweedish, whatever I am so glad I am living in 2009 instead of 1909 is all I can say. ok sorry highjacking is now over .....

Last edited by daacon; 10-07-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Closed Thread