Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

David,
I think some people are going to come our really good on this deal and there will be 1 or 2 that do not come out quite so good.

10-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
David,
I think some people are going to come our really good on this deal and there will be 1 or 2 that do not come out quite so good.
"You pays your money and you takes your chances"

But seriously, I hope anyone who does take a chance comes out well. For anyone who wants to take the risk, I would recommend closely examining the pictures, select what is apparently the best copy to bid on, contact the seller with questions, and bid no more than you are willing to lose to a no-good lens.

I guess I enjoy the mystery and thrill of potentially getting away with something. I also have a love of under appreciated, beautiful optics. It is part of what brought me to Pentax.
10-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I couldn't resist the jest at the other guys expense. I understand what you are saying Pentaxor. It will be interesting to see how everyone comes out on this. I think the electrical contacts will be fixable in most cases. The condition of the coating is what it really comes down to.

I can see the lens shoot out now between the Cosina f1.2 and a rehabbed fungal 50mm f1.2.:Hysterical:

Edit: I may get me one so I can be a founding member of the Fungal 50mm f1.2 club.
maybe a Miconazole be of assistance. that might help you get rid of any lens fungal infection.
10-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

seems to me that are quite a handful here that made some best offer already of probably 200 bucks. I can't see some of those other earlier copies posted there anymore. I hope you guys get a good and working copy. atleast there would be now quite a singnificant number of 'A" lens owners.

10-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
One of my rules for E-bay; if the seller won't answer questions, I won't part with money.
Oh well, too bad, maybe next time....
10-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Seems some 'dusty' lenses are actually foggy ones on the rear group. It's actaully pretty easy to clean. I've opened up mine 'cause I thought there were some funny stuff inside my copy too, but actually those funny stuff was on the out surface of the lens.

The rear glass is a two element group which is screwed on to the barrel. Just open up the mount plate (be careful, don't lose the A contact which is a four piece assembly), then turn the rear group anti clockwise with something like this:

If you got the lens for something like $200 or so, that's a steal I think. There was a seller on eBay who also sold a few A50/1.2 along w/ K1000 film cameras:
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/randall4489/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_fln=1&_ipg=...c0.m283&_rdc=1

His price increased from $135 to $175, then $225, $275, and eventually to $300 for a package deal, not too bad if you ask me. Pity I was always a bit late when I saw the auctions ...
10-15-2009, 04:15 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Seems some 'dusty' lenses are actually foggy ones on the rear group. It's actaully pretty easy to clean. I've opened up mine 'cause I thought there were some funny stuff inside my copy too, but actually those funny stuff was on the out surface of the lens.

The rear glass is a two element group which is screwed on to the barrel. Just open up the mount plate (be careful, don't lose the A contact which is a four piece assembly), then turn the rear group anti clockwise with something like this:
Thanks for the info on the fogging. I think many of the things that make people want to throw away their lenses are actually serviceable. A professional cleaning is $50-100. I figure, if servicing is too expensive for the lens, I may as well try to open the thing up; there's nothing to lose, and it is fun to see how the lens works.

For these lenses, I would rather have a professional have a go at it, though, especially since I lack the nice tool set you have (Japanese standard screw drivers is as sophisticated as I get).

BTW, still 11 copies available, though they may be of less quality than the others.

10-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Should've checked here first - I just paid $260 for one! But it looked good in the pictures. Fingers crossed!
10-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FYI, offered $190 for one, and it didn't get accepted. I think he's moving them fast enough to hold out for more now. Kind of glad he past.....I've spent enough this month due to LBA.....I just really want one of these 1.2's.
10-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
FYI, offered $190 for one, and it didn't get accepted. I think he's moving them fast enough to hold out for more now. Kind of glad he past.....I've spent enough this month due to LBA.....I just really want one of these 1.2's.
hmmm....I dunno but the supply seems to dwindle by the minute. I dunno for how long these lenses would last on eBay and for how much. maybe they would increase in price. so if any of you wants a low-ball price, I would sent a pm to the seller stating your initial observation of the condition of the lens and how much they worth. for me, a 200 dollar price tag is fair, due to the risks involved. a price of 400 dollars would state the lens is in good status as verified by a knowledgeable seller and with the luxury of money back just in case the lens is defective. the 200 dollar price tag would put both the buyer and seller at even odds.

I hope the seller sells them at 50 and I'll buy 12 copies and resell them afterwards for 400 bucks in good condition after having them cleaned.
10-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #41

Did someone received the first lense?
10-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #42

BTW, my lens arrived! Details at the following link:
Link to Whole mess of A- 50mm f1.2 up for auction
10-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Should've checked here first - I just paid $260 for one! But it looked good in the pictures. Fingers crossed!
I did the same thing Nick. I got lucky apparently.
10-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Maybe someone will volunteer to let each active member use one of these 1.2 lens for 2 days. Start it at on the east coast and send it all the way over to the west and then abroad. The world wide traveling 1.2 club.
But please, do not put any Wall Drug or Lisbon bumber stickers on the thing.
10-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Maybe someone will volunteer to let each active member use one of these 1.2 lens for 2 days. Start it at on the east coast and send it all the way over to the west and then abroad. The world wide traveling 1.2 club.
But please, do not put any Wall Drug or Lisbon bumber stickers on the thing.
I'm game if someone will put up a FA 77mm ltd. as collateral.