Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apartment

Hi. I've got an apartment that is going to be available for rent, so I'm wanting to take some shots to help rent it out. These are my thoughts based on equipment I've got.

28mm Takumar.
Use one flash in the hotshoe, aimed at the ceiling. Another flash on a light trigger to help fill in some light. I read somewhere that shooting from around 4 feet from the floor will help make the room look larger / taller.

Any thoughts on my thinking, or suggestions for something else to try?

10-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm going to be doing this again today

First time, I used a bounced flash on the hotshoe with a 16mm lens. The hotshoe flash has to have lots of power behind it or it will create a large shadow right in front of the camera. That lens created way too much distortion if not corrected.

Today, I will try:
18-55 kit lens for versatility
Flash on a tripod, at a low height, with mini-softbox diffuser
Try to balance the ambient light with the fill from that flash
Most likely fire the flash into the room directly

I would agree with your assessment so far, although 28mm might not be wide enough (most realtors seem to be using a 10-20 or 12-24 lens these days). You'll just have to include more shots using the 28mm which is never bad I will try shooting on one knee and see how that goes...
10-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I was also thinking that 28mm may not be wide enough, but unfortunatley it's all I've got.

Was also thinking of maybe trying to stitch a couple of shots together, but we'll see how it goes. I think I'll give it a shot on Friday, or the weekend. I'd be interested in seeing your shots if it's not to much trouble.
10-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, didn't do it today. It'll have to be soon, though

If a stitched shot was small enough size-wise, that would be a great idea. A pano would be amazing

10-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Hi. I've got an apartment that is going to be available for rent, so I'm wanting to take some shots to help rent it out. These are my thoughts based on equipment I've got.

28mm Takumar.
Use one flash in the hotshoe, aimed at the ceiling. Another flash on a light trigger to help fill in some light. I read somewhere that shooting from around 4 feet from the floor will help make the room look larger / taller.

I generally don't use a flash for inside building images. The lighting becomes uneven across the shot, and the flash effect is too obvious for my taste. Another thing to try is to use a tripod, available light only, small aperture (f/11, f/16 ...) and the camera back should be perfectly vertical, with the lens centred at half way up the wall (four feet or so). This reduces the distortion called "keystone" where the walls lean in or out.
10-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote

28mm Takumar.

Going wide/getting it all in is one approach - and probably the approach if you can only post one shot. Focussing on the best aspect is another that you might try if you have a number of shots. If the apartment has a nice view, it's worth waiting until dusk to show it off as best you can.
Modern Living Room on Flickr - Photo Sharing!