Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Streetshots

Great recent series on street photographers in New York City from
WNYC, New York's premier public radio station: Streetshots

Chris

10-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Any videos of Bruce Gilden getting the shit kicked out of him?
10-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Any videos of Bruce Gilden getting the shit kicked out of him?
Haha yeah, he does seem like a bit of a dick...

I'd watched all of the videos before, excellent stuff, very enjoyable. I particularly like Jamel, he seems like a cool dude, and i'm more interesting in the portrait side of stuff.
10-21-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Yeah, I've seen a vid of Gilden working before. I mean, fair enough, he's got a right to shoot street - or, as I like to call it, ambush photography - but he's pushing it. Well within the law, but not the spirit, of street photography. And while I'm not a big fan of sticking everything in genre boxes, I think he's doin' it wrong.

It's only a matter of time before he steps up to a Russian bouncer outside a nightclub, gets the flash three feet away from him, and the next thing we know the medical examiner's trying to pull a Leica out of his lower intestine.

10-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had to watch the Gilden video after reading this.

I think you would have to be in a very large, very busy city to get away with this kind of street photography. I don't have any objection to him being able to photograph like that - I just personally don't like the style, and I don't like the results either. It doesn't help that, like the others have said, he comes across as quite a prick.
10-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Having a look at more of his photos, I much prefer the ones where he is back a little bit. Not right up in people's faces with the flash.
10-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the link Chris. I now have reason to turn off R.E.M

10-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also had to watch the Gilden video to satisfy my curiousity. I can't believe he takes shots like that, with a flash too.. I reckon if I did that here I'd get beaten up or at least verbally abused within 3 shots

Anyway, it's pretty cool to watch how some of the other photographers work. Thanks for the link
10-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am usually pretty bold myself, but Gilden crosses the line. I have been following his work for a few years now and am still waiting to see him on TMZ getting a beat down by Pink or miley cyrus....
10-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Here are some of my favs.
Street Vision: Video's, some of my favs
10-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #11

This post caused me to look up some of Gilden's work. I didn't think too much of the photos in the video cited above, but I thought his magnum gallery shots were very good.
10-23-2009, 02:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a bit offtopic but another video of Bruce: YouTube - Bruce Has a Ball

he has good interpersonal kills and builds rapport with his 'victims' very quickly..
10-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
a bit offtopic but another video of Bruce: YouTube - Bruce Has a Ball

he has good interpersonal skills and builds rapport with his 'victims' very quickly..
thanks for the link... I enjoy his photography and some of his refreshing attitudes. Its easy for photographers to become technology advocates over artists. Certainly i'm more of the former. He doesn't care if folks disapprove of his flash work, his ethics, his tilting horizons, or ill-framed portraits, or out of focus shots. Uses film to some degree when a lot of folks are using digital. Nothing matters to him but the art and his fondness for characters. Results should count for something and i find his fascinating.

Interestingly, Bruce is like his photos, not perfect.
10-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I kind of like Joe Wigfalls technique and attitude. It would take a bit of practice but to train your hands in that fashion. Folks really wouln't even know you were taking a picture of them.
It was interesting to see and hear these folks express their passion for the art.
Thanks for posting the link Chris.