Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Neat article. Really turned me on to the Nik Software suite. Been playing with it tonight, very powerful.

11-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
A bit sad that none of them use any Pentax gear...
I was just thinking that.
11-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
Nah, that is not why. Well the last part isn't, the first part is a big part.

Post processing tools have been available on PC and MAC. Or more precisely the first "cheap" photo editng and illustration and layout software was on both. However, Macs had wildly better color management in the early days, which pretty much got them the entire print design and publishing market. That wouldn't matter much, but Macs also pretty much used the most ass backwards way of dealing with multiple types of files, and thus were total crap at reading anything not generated on a mac in the early days. Professional photographers either just make prints, or they want to submit to publishers. In the former, they didn't need a computer, and in the latter, they probably needed a mac to keep the idiot you send files to from complaining and picking the next guy in line to pay.

Now, the mac dominance in design is mainly due to idiocy, "well someont told me that PCs/MACs cant read MAC/PC files", or simple faith without any basis. During the reign of os9, macs were about as unstable as a product can get without someone getting sued. I know a number of designers who switched at that point because they simply couldn't afford the down time when getting paid (or not paid) by the hour (the sluggishness of the G5 processor didn't help either).
There is so much wrong with this post I'm only going to touch on two things, because I don't have the patience to handle them all.

1. Early Macs were perfectly capable of dealing with files from a Windows box. Don't confuse user error with equipment shortcomings.

2. OS 9 will not boot on a G5. That would have required an update that Apple was unwilling to do. Apple was shipping OS X version 10.3 by the time the G5 came out.
11-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link, a good read

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
A bit sad that none of them use any Pentax gear...
Pentax doesn't have anything in the D3 or Eos 5D segment.
And Nikon is still top of the class, when it comes to flash.

The regular choice will be C or N, but that is not to say that Pentax can't get the job done

Last edited by Jonson PL; 11-11-2009 at 02:24 PM.