Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Help me find a photo project

Hello,

I have been a little in taking pictures because I don't have a goal. I usually end up doing point and shoot with my DSLR and 'fix' the picture in Lightroom in order to look good.

I don't have any goals while taking my pictures. I heard of that self portrait everyday for a year but I'm not sure I will even do it for a week mainly because of the subject in itself.

Do you know of any other project that will give me a goal to take picture and will help me to learn more about photography techniques.

I live in the middle of farm fields, so street photography isn't going to work. I have 2 kids and one on the way.

Thanks for your help!

10-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
...and one on the way.
This sounds like a possibility for a small project. If you wife doesn't object at least.

Otherwise, if you are living in a rural area, why not take pictures of life and work on the farms and fields? Maybe emphasize the different seasons of the year.

Or go looking for some old abandoned farms if there are any.

I have to admit though that finding something new in a place you see everyday can be challenging, as you have to change the way you look at it first.
10-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
based on the description I see, you have lot's of opportunities.

- wildlife (birds and animals)
- wild flowers
- landscapes
- portraits (kids)
- macro (flowers and bugs)

Try each with a selection of lenses, lighting from natural to using reflectors to flash.

If you find one subject, try shooting it with each lens and / or focal length and aperture. Force yourself to consider background in these shots.

You could also pick one lens / focal length a week, and force yourself to take shots using only that lens / focal length.
10-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

I really not sure my wife would like me to take pictures when she is expecting! Well I could but my life would be hell ;-)
Farmers are finishing their work, so nothing to do during winter... though I might think of it when the season will start.
'you have to change the way you look at it first' true on that one, but not easy to do.

We don't have that many wild flowers, landscape gets boring pretty fast since everything is flat except the mountains at the end of the valley.
I need to work on my portrait but my kids cannot stay still!
I like the idea of choosing different lens or at least shooting with different focal length. That should help with my composition a lot!

Thanks for all of this comments and advice.

Does anyone else have any other idea?

10-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Actually your goal will be shaped by time, shoot the subject you most like to look and makes you think, that might be even girls too.

I mostly like taking old structures that representing people's lifes, sad times, good times, you can check my gallery, if you like to take photographs, abstracts, macros. And if you have big empty tabletop to spare you can work inside abstract and macro work. You can find a coupla samples in my close-up section. I feel bad I didn't digitize my film works yet.

Best of luck.
10-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Taking pictures of girls while my wife is pregnant... I guess you guys don't like me and want me dead

I'm looking for a project that will help me take better pictures. I would like to improve in portrait, composition and manage light better.

I'm just looking to get a goal to help me do that, like the 365 self portrait!
10-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Do a small project like this: Foto.no - Vinnerbilde

It's a pre/post birth composit, really nice.

Experiment with lighting and just focus on the shape of the belly - more if she's comfortable. .....Takes some time....
Them experiments with different B&W conversions to make a tasteful montage for the bedroom - or livingroom if she's comfortable.

10-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found this link that gives a few ideas:
10 ways to break photographer’s block :: Photocritic photography blog
10-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That idea sounds good about being pregnant and the baby but my wife will never let me!
Well I guess I'll never know if I never ask... if you don't hear from me tomorrow... you know why
10-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try some photo sites

A number of photo sites have contests or challenges. Google for one. The Digital Photography School Forum is a good start. I've gotten a lot of inspiration from just taking at least one photo a day of my community.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs
10-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link!
I could follow the project on this forum too I guess.
10-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Found another link for ideas:
7 Photography Projects to Jumpstart your Creativity

Like the idea 4 and 5
10-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
Found another link for ideas:
7 Photography Projects to Jumpstart your Creativity

Like the idea 4 and 5
You want the best project in the whole Universe? Fine Art Photography. :ugh: Subject doesn't matter.
10-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You probably have some used book stores around, find a book on COMPOSITION, not on your camera. I've been told that there great books from the 70's and 80's that spent a lot of time on composition theory and are available now, cheap. Composition discussions help one think of new images in their own area.

A new book that was easily readible, illustrated with pics of course:

Michael Freeman: The Photographer's Eye

Consists of about 30+ subjects with about 2 pages devoted to each subject. I just read it 2 pages at a time and it was an easy read with lots of ideas about photographer - very helpful.

I lived in the same town for 35 years, and after reading the above book, I started exploring the town with a new set of eyes, a lot of fun and some great pics. I still have photo club members who want me to give them a guided tour of my town, but i'm too busy (taking pics :-))

Here's an idea: Offer free portrait services to your neighbors. You give them a jpeg and they pay for printing it. Portraits are fun with a tripod, providing they try to hold still a little. Ask them to pose with their favorite piece of farm equipment.

best wishes, Phil
10-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I got two suggestions :

1-Same picture, four seasons. I did it and here's the result:

I'm doing it again with a tree as my main subject, and landscape orientation.

2-another project could start with the purchase of "The photographer's eye by Michael Freeman. amazing book on composition. Each aspect is covered in 2 (sometimes 4 pages). I used this book as my project, trying to take a picture of each subject developped. One topic, one picture illustrating it. I learned a lot that way.

In itself, it is a really good book.