Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 03:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual mode being difficult

Eeeek. The wedding is tomorrow and here I am still practising the flash!! Went onto a site mentioned here and found some good info. One I want to do is an off camera flash shot. The settings are 1/250 @f4. at 400ISO This gives a nice blurry background with lighting from above (some lovely person holding the flash).Now the moment I turn the flash on my settings refuse to obey me and they go to1/90 @f4!!! Totally refuse to obey me when flash is on. If I turn flash off, I can do what I want. I am at a loss as I'm afraid on 1/90 I just wont get the out of focus background. I am getting a bit desperate here so help. Just because I am not charging, I still want some lovely pics. Help Help.

10-28-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Trish,

What flash are you using on your K-m?
Are you shooting wirelessly or using radio triggers?
Are you on manual mode both on your flash and your camera? You should be able to set all settings manually and get the exposure you want.

Just keep practicing the off-camera technique at home as a rehearsal to the big day tomorrow.
10-28-2009, 04:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

HI Trish

Your cam will sync with your flash at 1/180 (well it does on my K20D). On camera you can switch your flash to HSS (high speed sync) where the flash will sync at any speed, but off camera I think your stuck with 180 at the fastest. (I thought that pentax flash could HSS of cam but i have yet been able to do it)
shooting at f4 outdoors is going to give you a high shutter speed so using flash off camera at that speed is going to be difficult.
I am thinking with the wedding tomorrow you would have been out and conducted some test shots in a similar situation, maybe you have for yours and the new bride and grooms sake.
Even if you'r doing the shot for free i still believe you should be capable of giving really good results, they only have this day once
Good luck
10-28-2009, 07:11 AM   #4

Original Poster
My flash is Pentax af400ftz, Ash and I am on manual for flash and camera. I am stuck on 180 (I have moved the little arrow thingy that is used for rear curtain stuff) f5.6. The pic I wanted to do is the one on this site:
http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/f...hy-techniques/ He uses the off flash at 1/250@f4 to make a nice pic with the off camera flash over thier heads. seems like I just can't do this. Taff you are right I am able to play as long as I am not off camera. I would have tried this shot but only found this site today and have just the exact place I want to use it. Guess I shall not be doing it on my camera. It really annoys me that when I had no knowledge at all (OK OK) I did a friends wedding all on automatic and got supurb shots. Now that I want to try better I am going to stuff it up. We are actually going to a local park now and I really wanted to do some off camera flash stuff. I shall check for updates in the morning. Thanks for the input.

10-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
Eeeek. The wedding is tomorrow and here I am still practising the flash!! Went onto a site mentioned here and found some good info. One I want to do is an off camera flash shot. The settings are 1/250 @f4. at 400ISO This gives a nice blurry background with lighting from above (some lovely person holding the flash).Now the moment I turn the flash on my settings refuse to obey me and they go to1/90 @f4!!! Totally refuse to obey me when flash is on. If I turn flash off, I can do what I want. I am at a loss as I'm afraid on 1/90 I just wont get the out of focus background. I am getting a bit desperate here so help. Just because I am not charging, I still want some lovely pics. Help Help.
Lots of confusion here, I'm afraid.

How are you triggering the flash? Optically? Or do you have radio triggers?

If you're using Pentax flash units (or Sigma or Metz that support P-TTL), and you're triggering wirelessly, you can put camera and flash into P-TTL mode, set for wireless (optical) triggering, and you should be okay. The camera and flash work together in P-TTL to provide the right amount of light. Be sure to match the channel on the camera to the channel on the flash - and practice this until you really know it, because it's not obvious how to do it and if you forget during the event, you'll be in trouble. Shooting like this, you can put the camera into either P or Av mode. Set the aperture to f/4 or f/5.6 and don't worry about the shutter. Remember, the shutter and aperture don't have quite the same effect when you shoot with flash that they have when you shoot normally with available light. A shutter speed of 1/90th sec is probably not too bad, as it may allow some ambient light to assist the exposure. Don't worry about it being too slow to freeze the action. The flash will freeze the action.

But it sounds as if you're not confident about what you're doing and that's not a good position to be in as you head into a wedding. I would suggest that you forget what you read on the other site and not worry about recreating some nice photo you saw. I mean, do what you want to do. I don't know you and perhaps I'm mistaken about your experience or level of knowledge here. But I think the safest thing for almost anybody shooting their first wedding is to keep things simple.

I would recommend at this point that you keep the flash on the camera, use P-TTL and perhaps P mode, and try to let the camera do as much of the technical work for you as possible. Work slowly and deliberately and stop frequently to ask yourself if your settings are right. Hit the Info button on the back of your camera and check the basic settings: ISO, aperture, exposure compensation, and so on. You don't want to find that you're accidentally taking photos at ISO 1600 with the flash. Chimp your photos frequently.

Good luck.

Will
10-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

couple of things I note.

First of all, you might be in trailing curtain sync, which cuts flash shutter by half, that would explain 1/90 not 1/180.

Note for pentax DSLRs sepending on model maximum regular sync is 1/180 (or on earlier bodies 1/150)
10-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
How are you triggering the flash? Optically? Or do you have radio triggers?
The AF400FTZ is not a P-TTL flash, so it is likely a radio-trigger.
10-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The 400 flash is a powerful beast, but as mentioned is not P-TTL, nor can the camera use TTL, so you'd be resorting to A or M mode on the flash, which I would suggest M mode would give you the best (most-consistent) results.

Triggering the flash off camera with radio triggers or a hotshoe extension cable should be no different than if it were sitting upon its hotshoe adapter. So I don't know why you're experiencing shutter speed problems other than what was already mentioned. Care to elaborate on all flash and camera settings as previously asked?

10-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #9

Original Poster
The flash is the 400 and I was on trailing sync, now corrected and setting is fixed at 180 and will not budge. and no I can't use TTL and I have the camera on M. The lens is the 28-80ml. I do have a fixed lens (prime) which I will be using for the inside shots. The reason I was trying to master all this was really for the depth of field. There is a huge bank of red flowers behind a tree which I was to shoot them under (good English). I need the flash as the tree will dapple them in shade. So have the flash off camera being held by a friend would be softer and not light up the leaves close to me. Guess I might ditch the idea. And Ash I have tried the flash mounted on the camera and have the same issues. Cannot get off 180. When I try with the onboard flash I can do what I want? But don't want to flash in these peoples eyes. and WMBP you are right I am not confident, but just really want to manage the depth of field with the off camera flash. Well I have about an hour to go so if I manage to pull this off you will all be the first to know. Thanks for the imput, and any last minute help on depth of field with flash pop in up quick. Ciao
10-29-2009, 04:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

what camera do you have, it's not posted.

if it is *istD or DS the flash should work in TTL mode