Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 04:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I really like one light setups for glamoury portraiture. There's something about one light source that I find appealing.

This was shot with a single softbox using a Metz 60 T-2 flash as the light source.
Ignore the fingerprints behind her head. It was scanned from a Q&D work print that is at least 20 years old.

Very nice - classic shot in every way.

11-19-2009, 04:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

OK I have a number of issues with this setup - for one a 500w hot light is so dim it will be at least 4 stops under the flash and will be the wrong spectrum as well. If you want to go high key you need to flood the backdrop with strobes.

If you want to go low key, you are better off angling the main or fill light to create a bit of spill.

If you want to use the main light straight on this is OK - its a typical glamour technique - but it sometimes works better with a reversed brolly or beauty dish head on and above the model. However there is NO POINT in using a fill light in this case, because the light is symmetrical.

You should use the other light with a snoot or a grid as a hair light to separate the model from the background...

Here is an example - main light with 27" dish above camera, second light with snoot high behind model. This is a friend of mine, not a model, but her husband was pretty pleased with this treatment.

IMGP4427.jpg photo - Steve Jacob photos at pbase.com

Excuse the skintone, this one was adjusted for a slightly wonky laptop I was using to show the pics and I can find the print version.

We tried some high key work for her pregnancy shoot. In this case I had two 400 Joule lights on the background with wide angle reflectors and spillkills, and 2 250 J softboxes one above the other camera right as a main light. There was a large reflector camera left for fill light and one on the floor.

IMGP5982.jpg photo - Steve Jacob photos at pbase.com

If you want to create a green screen background, then you can gel up the background lights with green gels and turn down the intensity so that the colour comes through, or place the lights behind the screen. Its easier if you also use a green paper background.

QuoteOriginally posted by nvthis12 Quote
want to know how this setup will work for portraits. also what type of setup should i use for chroma key portrait replacements. (green screen)