Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #1

How do I achieve this type of image

Hi!
I want to start taking images like this for my computer so any hints are welcome.

XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Air Cooled Gallery

Thanks

10-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

you would be suprised at how much the background will help the image.

Now, can your 360 be an optical slave?
10-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Ash

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Background and (soft) off-camera lighting...
That's where the money is.
10-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The computer looks like it was cut out of another image with photoshop and pasted over the background. I could be wrong.

Soft, diffuse lighting from an off camera flash might be how the computer was illuminated.

10-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Damn Brit

I'm going to leave this here because the effect could be achieved with lighting or post processing.

Have a look round on strobist.com, you should find similar images that also have setup explanations and lighting diagrams.
10-31-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These shots are 95% post production in PS.
10-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
So I just need to play with my 360 and get a nice place to shoot the parts. I will check that website.
Thanks guys

10-31-2009, 11:04 AM   #8

I would start with some clear plexiglass 4X6 sheet (paint the underside any color you desire). A large scrim for your main light; some penlights with a variety of colored gels.
11-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolin95 Quote
So I just need to play with my 360 and get a nice place to shoot the parts. I will check that website.
Thanks guys
Yup, that's it.
11-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote

Hey. I am a new member, and I have just begun to learn how to take a good photo. My gear is a Pentax ME. Could any of you guy can show me how to take a photo like this? I mean what aperture, shutter speed, and how to focus . Thanks in advance!
11-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ask Frank!

He is a good guy, very skilled, and I bet he'll tell you exactly how he took that shot!

Now, join us in the film section.
11-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi!
I want to start taking images like this for my computer so any hints are welcome.

Thanks
Early in my career I did a lot of this type of product photography for the agencies I worked for in NYC. It is not hard to do but you do need to have the right studio setup and the right lighting. The key here is that you need to have sources for the reflective plastics that are under the computer. You can't always effectively use plexiglass or glass or even a conventional mirror for that matter. Many of those reflective sources are birefringent and will cause a ghosting image in the final image. You need a photographic mirror that does not have a double image and you should generally use some of the many highly reflective "non ghosting" plastics that are on the market which make for great reflections. Plexiglass is great at transilluminating subjects and when used as a very rich and intense color or in black for surface reflections.

The bool listed below, and any that he may have printed since then, are great ways to understand some of the complexities and subtlties that go into studio still life. Granted, much technical still life is done with a larger format camera (4X5, 5X7, and 8X10) but some can be easily be done with a 35mm/digital system.

I will post back an edit on this topic later tonight as I have an older book (which may or may not be in print still) which will get you started with this type of tabletop studio work. Your persistance to pursue professional outcome will be you biggest challenge. Desire and persistance, as Ben might agree, makes the differance in the outcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
These shots are 95% post production in PS.
Yes Ben, today it's done that way much of the time. But remember when you actually had to shoot it that way and balance off all the light sources and films.

But, it can still be done right today without the computer.

Stephen

EDIT: The book that I referred to in the first comment is Secrets of Studio Still Life Photography. The author is Gary Perweiler. The book was originally published in 1984 (shows my age I guess ).... but, I can tell you that the quality of the images and lighting setups in the book meet or exceed the quality of the image the OP desired to do, on film/digital... right out of the camera. Good luck.

Last edited by SCGushue; 11-19-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: As per post
11-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #13
graphicgr8s

Hi!

Thanks
You can only get this if you shoot Canon.