Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
Inactive Account

If possible. Turn off noise reduction and shoot raw. You'll be shooting bulb, and 5 minute exposures. It takes many to catch one shooting star.

11-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
If possible. Turn off noise reduction and shoot raw. You'll be shooting bulb, and 5 minute exposures. It takes many to catch one shooting star.
Should be OK, in terms of turning off NR. Usually do, anyway. (one reason I ask about JPegs is I'm not actually working with RAW yet: my RAW button is set up for RAW+JPEG, and when I hit that button, it's usually 'For later, when I have machine that'll do it right,' )

Meteors aside, actually, I'm wondering if it's feasible to try and get the star colors.

My guess is that I'd have to really boost saturation to make it show up, even if I can get it on the sensor. If you do a really long exposure, would the stars just end up white from 'overexposure?'
11-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I shoot a lot of straight jpeg. Depending on where you are pointed in the sky, colors are possible. It takes about 10-15 seconds to get color on most star shots. Processing can make a big difference.
Actually a long exposure can bring out more. You just have to learn what your camera tolerates as far as long exposure is concerned. Some sensors tend to "bloom " quickly.
11-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
I shoot a lot of straight jpeg. Depending on where you are pointed in the sky, colors are possible. It takes about 10-15 seconds to get color on most star shots. Processing can make a big difference.
Actually a long exposure can bring out more. You just have to learn what your camera tolerates as far as long exposure is concerned. Some sensors tend to "bloom " quickly.
Cool. I appreciate your indulging my curiosity. Occasionally I take a whim to try something like this, and have never made much of a study of it. I have a 'sense' about some long black and white film exposures, but some of this (notably, about what these sensors can do, is still sci-fi to me.

Oh, and, considering you do go with Jpeg, what WB do you use? Daylight?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-13-2009 at 02:57 PM.
11-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
Inactive Account

AWB because I'm lazy.
Digital sensors will pick up light and color a lot quicker than a similiar ISO film.

OH, and shoot manual. The camera will just get a headache in any other mode.
11-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Gotta be honest, was expecting images of Leonard Nemoy in the shower.
11-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Here's a question in the abstract. What WB would you suggest for Jpegs, ...
I use Auto White Balance for my unmodified cameras for stars. You won't see much color at the wide angles needed for meteors unless you let the stars trail. A few stars and Mars may have some color when they are just a tiny dot. It is at the longer focal lengths I record substantial color in celestial objects.

My filterless K110D requires manual white balance to even approach having white stars.

11-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Leonid photography

Are there dangers of the sensor overheating and getting damaged? I have heard of such things, but it has been a while. I have a K200d.

I would suggest 45-90 degrees off the radiant. The radiant is only where they all seem to be coming from if you back-track their trails.

So, auto white balance? Manual focusing at infinity?

What about f-stop. All the way down (or is that only with film) or wide open? ISO speed such that the noise won't hide the stars?

General dslr meteor photography tips:
Meteor Photography Tips - Perseid Meteor Showers Astrophotography
Or for opposite views:
Suggestions on shooting the meteor shower - Photo.net Nature Forum

Some useful info on the shower itself, including when and where to look:

The 2009 peak of the Leonid meteor shower | EarthSky

SPACE.com -- Earthgrazers and Fireballs: The Strange Side of the Leonids
11-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Cool. It doesn't sound like an outstanding opportunity to try setting up a camera, but I'll look up if I'm up in the wee hours if I can make it up. (The view of the sky can get surprisingly clear for a place like this, where I am at certain hours: it's not like the country, but the light pollution is pretty well screened away, and less than you'd probably expect. I don't get to choose the hours, though.
11-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #25
Inactive Account

It's not really about staying up late in the east USA. The hours it begins are 4am EST, and 1am PST.
SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids
11-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will look forward to everyone's images tomorrow...
11-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Rain showers and total cloud cover in my area.
11-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

4am east! blah!
11-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Bleah, Wildlife, weather didn't cooperate? I tried making it till 3:30 or four, but couldn't stay awake. Sometimes I'm up till nearly then, anyway, so it wasn't too much of a stretch, but I was not feeling like moving when I got there. (I don't even know if we had overcast or anything. Didn't fuel up enough, I think. )

Anyone see anything?
11-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #30

Photos: Albums
I was up at 5am (4EST) here in Halifax, NS. Put my coat on and went out on the deck, I wasn't too hopeful as light pollution here is pretty bad too.

I looked over the front of the house where the sky was darkest, it was clear so I could see quite a few stars, despite the afforementione light pollution. Looked for about 3-5 mins, without any luck, turned around looked again for a while, counted to 30 and thought "oh well going in the house", opened the door and turned around for one last look and....bingo! There was a shooting star, unfortunately I didn't have a camera set up.

Not quite the 300-500 per hour rate as I'd seen quoted on one of the news sites!