Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #1

How to setup light for these effect?

I am curious how to setup light to set this effect? Did he use bounce flash, studio light or something else?

SCEA2009 Models - David Peng Photography - Bay Area Wedding Photography- powered by SmugMug

11-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Those shots could have been lit with fresnal "hot" spotlites or pars. You could also reproduce this lighting using strobe light with barndoored reflectors/ or wide grid - balanced with available light. The group shots have multiple light sources, with some directly overhead. Which leads me to believe that they are lit the theater/stage lighting
11-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like downlighting (multiple halogen lights I think) from within the room he was shooting in. Doesn't look like he added any flash, but it's hard to tell.

Shooting in these conditions requires a fast lens and correct white balancing.
11-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ash, I just look at your flickr wedding gallery, your photos are amazing. I noticed some of your outdoor wedding photos have flash on, but they look like very nature and brilliant. Could I know how did you use your flash to achieve them?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Looks like downlighting (multiple halogen lights I think) from within the room he was shooting in. Doesn't look like he added any flash, but it's hard to tell.

Shooting in these conditions requires a fast lens and correct white balancing.

11-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks! the scene should be at a stage. Really wish I can reproduce it with a flash and reflector at home, that will be very cool. :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by ramair455 Quote
Those shots could have been lit with fresnal "hot" spotlites or pars. You could also reproduce this lighting using strobe light with barndoored reflectors/ or wide grid - balanced with available light. The group shots have multiple light sources, with some directly overhead. Which leads me to believe that they are lit the theater/stage lighting
11-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My outdoor shots were mostly taken under ambient light conditions, some with a touch of fill flash.
Indoor shots were all supplemented with a flash bouncing off either the ceiling or an umbrella (off-camera).
11-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
Very nice tips. thanks! I am going to shoot a wedding soon. So maybe I should go to use a studio umbrella on the day.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
My outdoor shots were mostly taken under ambient light conditions, some with a touch of fill flash.
Indoor shots were all supplemented with a flash bouncing off either the ceiling or an umbrella (off-camera).

11-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by quaker Quote
thanks! the scene should be at a stage. Really wish I can reproduce it with a flash and reflector at home, that will be very cool. :-)
You probably could with a cheap quartz 100w spot/accent light from any hardware store.
11-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

It's got to be a gridded light, probably a beauty dish.
He's done quite well to balance the ambient to his flash, but I wish he'd put a bastard amber filter on his flash and then fixd the whole thing with white balance.
As it is, I find the skin tones on the cool side.
It's a nice set overall..
11-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
Damn Brit

It's no good getting the lighting right if most of your models have either a toilet sign or an exit sign sticking out of their heads. Placing the lights opposite reflective surfaces isn't the brightest of ideas either. He needs to work on his composition.
11-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's got to be a gridded light, probably a beauty dish.
Very well could be. I have a Norman 22" dish with a 15 degree grid(I wish Norman a one wider) and a set of 4-way barn doors. Using my Norman dish with a grid, the light would be to narrow. I would have to resort to the barn doors.
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Very well could be. I have a Norman 22" dish with a 15 degree grid(I wish Norman a one wider) and a set of 4-way barn doors. Using my Norman dish with a grid, the light would be to narrow. I would have to resort to the barn doors.
15º is pretty narrow.
Check with Saxon Computers, they sell raw grid fabric that you can put into your own frame. I couldn't get a grid for my Photogenic dish so I bought one of his grids. Now I just have to make the frame for it.