Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PPG is possibly showing Non-Pentax camera images as theirs.

A thread in DPR is discussing this issue, and I thought I would post it here to pressure PPG into taking action.

A talented photographer 'Martin Zalba' had posted an image on a forum as being taken by a canon. La casa que me quita el...: Photo by Photographer Martin Zalba Ibaņez - photo.net

Then the same image appears in PPG as being taken by a Pentax

PENTAX Photo Gallery

Also, the same poster has this image with a 988 sec exposure with no star trail, and something is obviously wrong there.

PENTAX Photo Gallery

Martin initially responded to the thread and said he didn't understand the issue, and when the discrepancy was explained to him he decided to disappear, further raising the suspicion of something sinister.

The poster contacted PPG and they are ignoring it. I think the whole point of PPG is that the images has to be taken by a Pentax. What is the point in us telling newbies, considering a Pentax purchase, to check the PPG gallery, like I often do, when the images could be from any camera?

I think the PPG's entire reputation is smeared with things like this......does anyone else also feel strongly about this?

DPR thread
PPG exhibiting non-Pentax pics? [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

11-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It just makes the PPG even more of a joke than it was already.
11-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the heads up pcarfan. I checked out the sites and there is an obvious ground for confusion. All I can think of when my PPG entries are rejected because of technicalities, is how can a photo taken with a non Pentax camera be accepted. Throw the bum out if he’s an imposter
11-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Not surprised but I doubt pentax really cared what images are in there anyway

11-19-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Not surprised but I doubt pentax really cared what images are in there anyway

Yeah!, it sure looks like it. I guess if someone is willing to shoot Nikon for action and flash photography and Canon FF for high iso shots and post as being taken with a pentax, why would they care.......it makes Pentax look better than it is and that I guess is what matters to them......It was wrong of me to expect any better....
11-19-2009, 05:44 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Yeah!, it sure looks like it. I guess if someone is willing to shoot Nikon for action and flash photography and Canon FF for high iso shots and post as being taken with a pentax, why would they care.......it makes Pentax look better than it is and that I guess is what matters to them......It was wrong of me to expect any better....
Good morning pcarfan. In my opinion, you were not wrong to expect any better. Pentax has endorsed the criteria for posting photos on their premiere website; it is they who are wrong in allowing this to happen.
11-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Just a comment on the star photo. Zoom in on the photo, there is star trailing. Using a 17mm lens, that looks about right. 16 minute 28 second shot at that focal length, in almost total darkness would not be beyond possiblity.
It looks like it was an almost moonless night. He probably used lighting painting to highlight the building area. Or he stacked two or more photos to get that look.

As to what camera was used, that can be faked pretty easy these days.

11-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Forum Member

Regarding the photo.net image..
Interestingly the image is said to be taken 2008-07-23.. about a month before Canon announced the camera it is said to be taken with..
11-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks more like a "Martin Zalba" issue to me than a Pentax one.

Couple of possibilities...

1. Mr. Zalba is lying on Photo.net about what camera he used or he is lying on PPG. The EXIF can be hacked in either direction.

2. Some third party stole Mr. Zalba's images and created a special profile on PPG to stir up a controversy.

3. Pentax stole the photos and hacked the EXIF because we all know Pentax cameras cannot be used to take such images but they want people to think they can.

I'll leave it to you to decide which you find most likely...

I'm also perplexed at how some of you are so ready to believe that Pentax is involved in this. Most likely they are the victim of a fraud who was too stupid to keep his lies straight.

Either way, Mr. Zalba's images should be removed from PPG until this is sorted out.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 11-19-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typos
11-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Just a comment on the star photo. Zoom in on the photo, there is star trailing. Using a 17mm lens, that looks about right. 16 minute 28 second shot at that focal length, in almost total darkness would not be beyond possiblity.
It looks like it was an almost moonless night. He probably used lighting painting to highlight the building area. Or he stacked two or more photos to get that look.

As to what camera was used, that can be faked pretty easy these days.
First of all, the only thing that looks sinister is Martin's silence, after knowing there is a discrepency. Until then I was 100% sure it was an innocent mistake.

If you are a multi-camera user and use them for a single session, then it is easy to confuse which is which...The two images could easily be explained by being taken with a Pentax, and had been forgotten of it being taken with that camera, and Martin credited it to the Canon in the other forum. Also, I've seen plenty of images with extreme PP, and all of my images have tremndous PP, including cloning etc. I think that could easily explain the star trail, and I didn't know that extensive sky manipulation is not allowed, and IMO that is no crime, I've done it......

But, manipulating the exif is IMO is cheating, and that IMO should be obvious to all as something that is simply not allowed. His refusal to explain himself sounds to me to be a sign if guilt. But, he is just one person, and he is irrelevant to me. I was hoping PPG on the other hand should be more careful. But, it certainly doesn't look like they care at all...really not surprising, Pentax is not what it used to be, it's pedigree starting from being the asahi company means nothing any more...........
11-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Really, is Pentax supposed to scrounge the internet every time they accept a picture? They simply trust the submitter..
11-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Looks more like a "Martin Zalba" issue to me than a Pentax one.

Couple of possibilities...

1. Mr. Zalba is lying on Photo.net about what camera he used or he is lying on PPG. The EXIF can be hacked in either direction.

2. Some third party stole Mr. Zalba's images and created a special profile on PPG to stir up a controversy.

3. Pentax stole and hacked the EXIF because we all know Pentax cameras cannot be used to take such images but they want people to think they can.

I'll leave it to you to decide which you find most likely...

I'm also perplexed at how some of you are so ready to believe that Pentax is involved in this. Most likely they are the victim of a fraud who was too stupid to keep his lies straight.

Either way, Mr. Zalba's images should be removed from PPG until this is sorted out.

Mike
Mike, I don't think anyone is saying Pentax did that..sorry, if I was ambigous. I know if there was anything sinister at all, then it was Martin's fault. Now that the date of the picture implies it probably was taken with the pentax. It's his refusal to respond which is casting a shadow of guilt over him.

I would think Pentax will look into this, when an obvious discrepnecy is shown to them. OP at DPR contacted PPG to no avail, and later I did as well........it is the inaction on the part of PPG to look inot this matter, makes me dissapointed at PPG.
11-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Really, is Pentax supposed to scrounge the internet every time they accept a picture? They simply trust the submitter..
LOL........now, that would be impossible.......but, when the discrepency is showed to them, is it too much to ask to look into it?, what do you think?

Last edited by pcarfan; 11-19-2009 at 08:43 AM.
11-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Is Ned Bunnell no longer a member here? (not that he ever seemed to reply to anything when he was here...)

Last edited by MRRiley; 11-23-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: damned typos
11-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
LOL........now, that would be impossible.......but, when the discrepency is showed to them, is it too much to ask to look into it?, what do you think?
Oh, definitely, and I believe they will, but Pentax is very slow as a corporation, unfortunately.

Only now have we heard that Pentax is actually addressing the K-x battery problem after weeks of people complaining and giving up, starting mid October.