Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Clone out the smoke pentaman? Never, I love the patterns left by each preceding firework, slowly drifting away!
Well, we all have our preferences! The problem with smoke as I see it is it might take the focus away from what you are trying to capture. If you are simply documenting the fireworks, I would be fine with it.

Another reason is - the smoke coverage depends on the wind direction and speed. If there is no wind, the smoke kinda hangs in there, but if there is wind, the smoke scatters and can fill your frame.

Again, preferences and the story you are trying to tell.

11-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaman Quote
Well, we all have our preferences! The problem with smoke as I see it is it might take the focus away from what you are trying to capture. If you are simply documenting the fireworks, I would be fine with it.

Another reason is - the smoke coverage depends on the wind direction and speed. If there is no wind, the smoke kinda hangs in there, but if there is wind, the smoke scatters and can fill your frame.

Again, preferences and the story you are trying to tell.
Look how much smoke was eliminated by simply increasing the black level in the brightness & contrast curve in the photo posted by Leo Taylor

It's easy to deal with as long as it is not too bad
11-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lowell:

I was about 1100 feet from the launch zone so had a 1 second delay.

With Fireworks your signal to noise ratio is very high, allowing you to do what you want with the background. I like the "history" of the last few burst as seen in the smoke. I also like the framing of the trees.
12-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I thought it'd be daunting at first when i took my first fireworks series.

I had just started using a DSLR ... and only had my 18-55mm kit lens.
I set mine wide to 18mm ... manually focussed on infinity ... set the ISO at 100. Saet aperture at f/8 (as that's about the sweet spot for the lens anyway) ... and used Bulb mode with a remote shutter release. On a tripod of course.

I was actually pretty happy with my efforts ... I did leave NR on though ... and has the agonising wait for the frame to finish .. but the fireworks went or about 15-20 minutes anyway ... it was a hell of a long set.

I could have done it better I guess ... but for a first go ... I was happy.

Here's a few: