Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I'm guessing he actually used less lights than what you would normally think.
Reflectors would most likely supplement the lesser number of lights.
The hair in particular has a circular highlight which you won't usually get with just a light from above as it would also highlight the upper portion (peak) of the hair.
Look at the reflections and shadows. There are 5 reflections on the hair. 2 from each side, and one overhead.

Reflectors aren't going to give you those hard specular reflections on the hair, and the hard (almost blown out) light on the sides of the face.

For the higher set of lights, they are only giving the hair light that you see at 10 and 2 o'clock.

The hair reflections at the base of her hair are the same ones that are lighting her neck and the sides of her face. You can tell that they are behind her because the light doesn't reach around to her cheeks. You can see the line of shadow (especially on her right cheek, but it is there on both cheeks) that show that the overhead light is lighting the front of her face and the rim lights are lighting the sides. Also, the fact that the light doesn't wrap around indicates that the light is pretty hard/small.

For the front/overhead light, all the hair isn't lit up, because of the angle of the light. If it were more overhead, then you would see the reflection at the peak of the hair. It doesn't need to be a circular or ring light to make that ring shaped reflection in her hair.

11-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
2 huge strip lights backlit one off each side and a reflector off the front slightly angled and hair light from directly above and slightly forward. Ratio is probably 2:1 back to front.

Last edited by Clicker; 11-27-2009 at 07:00 PM.
11-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Mirror.

The screwed around in photoshop a bit. Nudged in one clavicle, randomise the hair highlights, have the mirror hanging a bit off vertical.

'S how I'd've done it.

Be easier than shagging around with lights.
12-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, here is the lighting set up for the shot.

A 4 bulb Kino Light, lit from below with a white shoot through diffusor.

An Opalight shooting down at around 60 degrees and around 1 meter above and 2 meters back from the model.

Two bare bulb heads, one on either side of the model at around 100 degrees just slightly off the 90 degree axis of the model.

Two HMI 1.2 Kilo Cinema Lights for the backdrop, shooting down to achieve the gradation.

Full Blue Gelatins on all of the flash sources and a Midnight Blue Gelatin on the HMI's using a Blue Backdrop.

Shot with a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Lens at f25.0 at 1/8th of a second.

Converted to B&W in Photoshop.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2009/12/04/beauty-shoot-for-citizen-k-mag...w-did-i-do-it/

Last edited by benjikan; 12-03-2009 at 06:04 PM.
12-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hanging out w/ video guys lately, Ben? :-)
Must be nice to work in a WYSIWYG environment though...
12-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

And I'm struggling to afford a second flash...
12-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
And I'm struggling to afford a second flash...
The client always rents the gear.

12-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

tell me more about this Ben.

what is this..

Two HMI 1.2 Kilo Cinema Lights for the backdrop, shooting down to achieve the gradation
12-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
tell me more about this Ben.

what is this..

Two HMI 1.2 Kilo Cinema Lights for the backdrop, shooting down to achieve the gradation
He has got himself some movie lights! The big guns!
1.2 kilowatts of output!
That thing is hot!
I use to work with those all the time and each light should have it's own caretaker (from the rental production shop).
The DOP gets to tell his assistants what gels to clip on to it based on his lightmeter readings.
Cool Ben!
12-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The client always rents the gear.
Yeah, I know but you still... You have to start somewhere.
I'm in a photo group with two elinchrom lights, and I use them as much as I can! Also I use them wireless with my (awe at my superiority) cactus wireless transmitter and receivers!
But really, I've just begun to understand model photography and your advice is always appreciated although at times questionable, but I guess that's the fashion business =P
12-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
Yeah, I know but you still... You have to start somewhere.
I'm in a photo group with two elinchrom lights, and I use them as much as I can! Also I use them wireless with my (awe at my superiority) cactus wireless transmitter and receivers!
But really, I've just begun to understand model photography and your advice is always appreciated although at times questionable, but I guess that's the fashion business =P
To create the look of HMI, you can always use a couple of 500-1000 watt halogen lights and use a Full Blue Gelatin correction filter to balance for Daylight. You can buy the common outdoor Garden type that comes with a metal stand and plug. For barn doors you can always build them using sheet metal and mat black paint. If you can afford 1000-2000 tungsten lights which cost 10X less than HMI's you can also have the luxury of focusing using the Fresnel lens. You still need to correct with a full Blue Gelatin if you are seeking daylight balanced images.