Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beauty Shoot for "Citizen K" Magazine "How Did I Do It?"

Beauty Shoot for "Citizen K" Magazine "How Did I Do It?"

Recently, I received an e-mail from someone who saw my image on my introduction page of my blog, asking "...how did you do it?"* I will not include what he speculated, which was actually quite close.

For those of you wishing to participate, I would like you to tell me, what you think I did.* I will eventually tell you all the technique I employed for this particular beauty story shot for "Citizen K International".

So, go ahead and tell me what your impressions are.* Post your answer on the Forum and on my Blog. That way, everyone who has participated can see all of the responses.

Thanks
Ben

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2009/12/04/beauty-shoot-for-citizen-k-mag...w-did-i-do-it/

Attached Images

Last edited by benjikan; 12-03-2009 at 06:10 PM.
11-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks like large softbox above, reflector below, and 2 harsh strobes on either side of model from behind
11-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
5 lights.

2 hairs lights, one on either side of the model above and to the rear.

2 rim lights, about even with the neck and to the rear and sides of the model.

1 large light overhead the model, perhaps a beauty dish or medium softbox.

a fill card below to open up the shadows.
11-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is lots more fun. I love guessing lighting to practice training my eyes as long as the OP tells us what it is eventually :-)

The other two photos in your blog help (assuming the setup is exactly the same) but I can't figure out what you're using for a fill underneath (if I looked at only the first image I would have guessed the catchlights were photoshopped in). It's usually a reflector or posing table but it has a weird uneven pattern like maybe one of the trigrip reflectors.

From the other two, it looks like a beauty dish from above her face and slightly in front of her, and two snooted or gridded strobes doing rim lighting on either side. The BD is aimed so some spill happens on the background for two of the shots.

11-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
5 lights.

2 hairs lights, one on either side of the model above and to the rear.

2 rim lights, about even with the neck and to the rear and sides of the model.

1 large light overhead the model, perhaps a beauty dish or medium softbox.

a fill card below to open up the shadows.

Beat me to it. That was exactly what I was going to post. I would say the overhead light is heavily diffused and possibly about 10-20 degrees off the vertical axis toward the front.
11-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, looks like it's solved.
A fine result Ben and well arranged.
11-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yep, looks like it's solved.
A fine result Ben and well arranged.
I'll post the technique employed, next week.

11-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know nothing about this kind of photography but I think the guesses so far missed something.

Ben used more than just lighting to achieve this image. How did he make the model look like she is a bronze sculpture rather than natural skin?
11-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I may be way off base but assume that the "look" is more post work than direct shooting. The lighting gives the effect and the PP work gives it much of the texture.
11-23-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

maybe our responses aren't complete w/o the PP answer? :-)
Looks like typical skin smoothing you do in studio work (unless the model is really young and has perfect skin which is somewhat of a rarity because most have typical acne problems at 18-20), then added contrast, then a B&W conversion using probably a red filter.
11-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #11

I dont know exactly what you used, but I have lit shots like this with 3 lights and a silver chin reflector.

1- beauty dish overhead on a boom (serves as main & hair light)
2- hard edge lights high & behind (oblique) to model with barndoors or gobos
3- silver chin reflector
11-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

1 shoot through top front, 2 grids either side slightly to rear, F8 1/15s processed using wide radius USM.
11-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
1 shoot through top front, 2 grids either side slightly to rear, F8 1/15s processed using wide radius USM.
You don't count...You have already worked with me. I'll tell you what I did shortly.

PS...waiting on articles...You know
11-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm guessing he actually used less lights than what you would normally think.
Reflectors would most likely supplement the lesser number of lights.
The hair in particular has a circular highlight which you won't usually get with just a light from above as it would also highlight the upper portion (peak) of the hair.
11-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

There's definite grain added, but it's not all photoshop. Looks like there's also some very nice make-up work involved. I would venture to say that the shadows around the eyes are definitely makeup-based, enhanced by the shadows cast by her beautiful pronounced features. Look at the darker shadows cast by her nose when compared to the silvery shadows around her eyes.