Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
New Years Nature Photography

A photography group that I'm in is doing a local art exhibit this coming January. The theme for the exhibit is "A New Year". Since nature and outdoor photography are my main interest, I would like do to something in that area. The problem is I'm having trouble coming up with ideas of nature photography that would fit the New Year theme. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

11-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jswillems Quote
A photography group that I'm in is doing a local art exhibit this coming January. The theme for the exhibit is "A New Year". Since nature and outdoor photography are my main interest, I would like do to something in that area. The problem is I'm having trouble coming up with ideas of nature photography that would fit the New Year theme. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Tough one. There are two things I can think of. As it is winter a macro shot of an insect in a cocoon of some sort, waiting for the spring to come out. In the Netherlands at least spiders wrap there offspring in a ball of yellow stuff... But those insects might by hard to find. Second idea: If I remember it correctly there were some massive wildfires in California this year. If you can find one small spot where some plants are just starting to grow again you can contrast that with the devastation around you. It sort of symbolizes a new beginning and anyone familiar with those wildfires will probably have no trouble connecting it with the theme.

Without any local knowledge of the nature in Northern California this is the best I can come up with!
11-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Very good idea on the wildfires! Hadn't even thought of that. The insects is a good idea as well, but, like yousiad, might be hard to find. I might try and go out tomorrow morning to get some sunrise shots as well.
11-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jswillems Quote
Very good idea on the wildfires! Hadn't even thought of that. The insects is a good idea as well, but, like yousiad, might be hard to find. I might try and go out tomorrow morning to get some sunrise shots as well.
I am alway's tempted by a good sunrise! But it can be quite hard to make a really original one. I'd like to see what you eventually come up with! I'll keep an eye on this thread and hope to see the picture you end up sending in for the exhibit!

11-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Using forced bulbs

Don't know what constitutes nature photography for you. There are flower bulbs like paper whites and narcissus, that you can plant in pots and have new shoots in a short time. This would be more in the nature of a studio setup outdoors than a landscape. You could place the pot with the new shoots in a hole then cover the pot with old leaves, letting the shoots poke through. Or if you get lucky, you could use snow. A closeup of the new shoots might work for your new year theme.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365