Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #1

Aftermarket grip for K7 - can't use it without battery in body?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys,

Apologies if I've put this in the wrong forum..

Anyway, I purchased an aftermarket grip from ebay, which arrived on Friday. The construction of it is excellent; I've never seen the genuine pentax grip (so can't compare directly) but if you stuck a pentax label on this one I think I'd fall for it - it's really quite nice.

Obviously its not weather sealed, but it really is well put together.

Anyway, I purchased two lithiums along with the grip but with the grip and grip battery installed, the camera doesn't seem to function without a battery being in the body.

In other words, if I take the battery out of the body and put it in the grip, the camera won't turn on. It flashes the 'empty battery' symbol on the top LCD.

If I dive into the menu and enter the 'select battery' screen, the grip battery shows up with a strike through it.

I'm having a hard time working out whether this is normal, and have emailed the ebay seller to ask, but wanted to raise the issue here and see if anyone knows what's up.

Cheers,
Jeremy

11-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeremyhall Quote
I'm having a hard time working out whether this is normal, and have emailed the ebay seller to ask, but wanted to raise the issue here and see if anyone knows what's up.
I can't speak to whether it's normal with a third-party grip, not having tested it myself. I have the K-7 and the original Pentax BG4 grip though, and that works fine without a battery in the K-7 body, regardless of whether I use AA batteries or a D-LI90 Lithium Ion in the grip itself.