Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2007, 04:51 AM   #1

Bulb mode settings

hi all,

right now i'm away, under a beautiful stary sky and have forgot my remote control. Attempting to get a star trail shot. I can try hold the shutter down for a few minutes in bulb mode but is there a better way. is there a way of setting a max exposure time that is longer than 30sec in manual mode?

06-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have one of the models that allows multi exposure you might try that, several sessions at 30 sec.
06-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #3

You can get a wired remote with a "lock" button, or you can do it CHEAP: Get a mono 2.5mm jack plug and plug it in where you'd normally plug the wired remote. This will make the camera half-press the shutter. Once you press the shutter release, the shutter will fire and stay open. Remove the jack plug to release the shutter.
06-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=kskjon;65475]... Get a mono 2.5mm jack plug and plug it in where you'd normally plug the wired remote. ... QUOTE]

Wow, that was clever. When I saw "mono" I thought it was a mistake, but you fool the camera into keeping the shutter open then "pull the plug" to end the exposure.

06-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
Wow, that was clever.
Thanks, it was more to do with luck though.

I had a mono plug lying around, and thought of experimenting it to see if I could make a cheap remote, and discovered that it would hold the shutter by itself. So now I always keep a small jack plug in my bag.
06-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Alright below is the shot that i got. Exposure was 405sec at 1.7. I used a Pentax SMC - A 50mm - great lens. I had to sit on a chair and hold the shutter release down for the entire time - the squiggle you see are the stars in line with my pulse - i was like a statue - well at leat i though so. BTW it was approx 0 deg celcius whilst taking the shot.

I would have loved to have the remote or something, perfect star lines would have made a great shot. This was my first ever attempt at Astro photography and using the bulb mode on my K10D.

Last edited by switch79; 03-26-2008 at 08:45 PM.
06-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
And for those Aussie's who are curious as to where the shot was taken. About 10min south of Jindabyne (Snowy's) in the middle of nowhere.

Can you spot the southern cross?

Cheers
06-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by kskjon Quote
You can get a wired remote with a "lock" button, or you can do it CHEAP: Get a mono 2.5mm jack plug and plug it in where you'd normally plug the wired remote. This will make the camera half-press the shutter. Once you press the shutter release, the shutter will fire and stay open. Remove the jack plug to release the shutter.
Did you have any luck figuring out the cheap remote? If so, care to share the wireing diagram?

06-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I made a switch last night for my k100d to work for longer exposures in bulb mode. Seems to work great. Here is a link to the instructions, and a wiring diagram.

CLINE&COMPANY» Blog Archive » DIY Shutter Release for your Canon DSLR

HTH

Yes, I know it says Canon. But it works on my Pentax too.
06-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

instructables : Pentax DSLR cable shutter release from hands-free cell phone kit - Wired

instructables : £2 Pentax DSLR Remote - IR