Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I defy your logic with my lack of convention.

Over in the News and Rumors section there is a lively ongoing debate that has highjacked one of the many "Pentax FF when?" threads.

The simplest way I can rephase the ongoing discusion is:

"I have an idea of how I see and approach the world. It is unlike the conventions you have seen."

Here is a link to the thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/76980-ff-2010-a.html

It gets good at about post #209.

So here is your chance you "box? I don't need no box for my thoughts!" types out there. Bring it on. What do you do photowise that you are not really supposed to do? Why are you still shooting with that old folding Kodak? Temperature control when I develope negitives, why would you want to do that? Here is my home-made flash rig. Why can't I make a neutral density filter out of plastic wrap and a felt pen?

Get the idea? This is a no holds barred free for all thread specifically about the wrong way to use your gear because it gets you the results you want. Or maybe its about technology vs old school thought. Or maybe we might start to talk about why digital noise will never look as good as grain. Or maybe its about the way the old film cameras smell, and that motivates you to take better shots.

---------------

Rules:

1. Standard methodologies will be mocked.
2. Postings without photos are for the weak. They didn't happen.
3. Lomography will only be allowed if you can prove it was unintentional. Intentioanl unintentional needs another photo to prove the intent was not met.
4. If this thread gets off track, and is highjacked by a "FF pentax when?" topic, the poster will be expected to post photos. Then they will be mocked.

----------------
Shot from the hip, non-Pentax camera, developed in coffee

Shot with PZ-1p in panarama mode. Seriously, you are not supposed to use that!

Also developed in coffee...

Shot with a K1000 with a sticky shutter. I like how the right side of the photo is dark making it look like a night shot under a street light.

Shot with a non-pentax, developed in coffee, framing was intended to remove perspective, and bring an abstract quality to the shot.

12-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I can't stop taking pictures one-handed out of my moving car window.

12-02-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
Inactive Account

So far, all I've seen is Lomography in this thread. Boring.
12-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
So far, all I've seen is Lomography in this thread. Boring.
Weak post Lithos. Then give us something interesting.

12-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

This should be a fun thread. I have tons of examples of breaking the rules in my port (not because I try to break the rules, but because I just don't know them).

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I can't stop taking pictures one-handed out of my moving car window.
I like your posted examples.

Years ago when I was just a little kid my parents gave me a K1000 with no owner's manual. I used roll after roll of cheap expired film to learn how a camera works. I didn't know what a tripod was. Here's one photo I took handheld in bulb mode below. I don't know how long I kept my finger on the shutter, but it was a long time. I was probably around 12-13 years old and I took this from the backyard of my parents' old house during a storm over the Great Salt Lake. (Remember this is handheld, you can see a bit of movement from the street lights on the interstate at the bottom.) It was scanned with just a regular cheap HP scanner.
12-03-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
This should be a fun thread. I have tons of examples of breaking the rules in my port (not because I try to break the rules, but because I just don't know them).

I like your posted examples.

Years ago when I was just a little kid my parents gave me a K1000 with no owner's manual. I used roll after roll of cheap expired film to learn how a camera works. I didn't know what a tripod was. Here's one photo I took handheld in bulb mode below. I don't know how long I kept my finger on the shutter, but it was a long time. I was probably around 12-13 years old and I took this from the backyard of my parents' old house during a storm over the Great Salt Lake. (Remember this is handheld, you can see a bit of movement from the street lights on the interstate at the bottom.) It was scanned with just a regular cheap HP scanner.
"Tripod, he don't need no stinking tripod!" (bonus points if you can reference what this was paraphrased from).

Man, even given that the lightning exposure and what it illuminated is sharp (due to the lightning speed (pun intended) exposure), you did a great job hand-holding that. The streetlights would have looked like squigly lines if I'd done this. Good job!

Mike
12-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
"Tripod, he don't need no stinking tripod!" (bonus points if you can reference what this was paraphrased from).

Man, even given that the lightning exposure and what it illuminated is sharp (due to the lightning speed (pun intended) exposure), you did a great job hand-holding that. The streetlights would have looked like squigly lines if I'd done this. Good job!

Mike
Blazing Saddles. "Badges, we don't need no stinking badges" Second time I've quoted that movie tonight. What do I win?? haha

I agree, the lightning shot is better than I've ever come up with, even using a "proper" set-up. Nice one!

12-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Weak post Lithos. Then give us something interesting.
I'm so unconventional, I'm not even going to post a pic.
12-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
Blazing Saddles. "Badges, we don't need no stinking badges" Second time I've quoted that movie tonight. What do I win?? haha

I agree, the lightning shot is better than I've ever come up with, even using a "proper" set-up. Nice one!
Partial points... The Blazing Saddles quote is in itself a paraphrased quote from an older movie... Anyone???

(And since this thread is all about breaking the rules I won't even apologise for the semi-hijack.)

Mike
12-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Partial points... The Blazing Saddles quote is in itself a paraphrased quote from an older movie... Anyone???
I was using a version of this quote just yesterday. We were in a banjo museum and I was telling my producer, "Banjos? We don't need no stinkin' banjos!" I think it's originally from "Treasure of Sierra Madre", isn't it?
12-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner. Treasure of the Sierra Madre...

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
12-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Anyone please remark if this is boring or not really what we should be considering in this thread.
First I will leave you clues using images. The principles:

The results. None of these have been cropped or post processed other than compressed and framed:

I reverse mounted by FA 28-90mm to an extension tube. The focus distance was roughly four inches. The images are a cookie, a pencil, a ruler in metrics and a nickel.
12-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
Damn Brit

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner. Treasure of the Sierra Madre...

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
You're such a movie dork Mike.
12-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I'm so unconventional, I'm not even going to post a pic.
Minimalist and edgy!

I like it!
12-05-2009, 01:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
snip...
I reverse mounted by FA 28-90mm to an extension tube. The focus distance was roughly four inches. The images are a cookie, a pencil, a ruler in metrics and a nickel.
Neat! Yup thats what this thread is for.