Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ritz Camera Experience?

I ordered a Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye lens from RitzCamera recent 'Clearance' sale -- it say it was a NEW item. Before I order it online, I chat with them with one of the Live Chat agent, he assure me that the lens is NEW.

The lens arrived yesterday, the box looks terrible (there are kid's stickers on the box!), and when I took out the lens (though it is still cover with plastic bags) there is a layer of dust on the front glass! Then I look at the back back glass, there is also a layer of dust!..... I decided blow out the dust using a blower, and I realize there is a scratch line at the back of the glass!

Call them right away last night but every time the call was cut halfway. Went online to do "live chat" --- the person keep 'saying': "The previous make a mistake, the lens is not new, we had to charge you restocking fee to get the lens back...bla bla bla".

I make another call today, the guy said it is defective and they will send me a return shipping label and return my money with no restocking fee (I do not know how 'true' is this.... hence I got his name marked down).

Anyone have experience with them? I purchased my 43mm ltd with them, and think I will never order with them anymore....

Apologize if this shouldn't post here...

Lee

12-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I picked up another Af360 flash from them 2 weeks ago which was also a clearance iem. It was new as advertised so there was no problem. But honestly, I cant tell you who's in the minority here, me or you.

Go with your gut, if you dont feel comfortable dealing with them again then dont. There are definitely better sellers out there.
12-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That is an unfortunate experience. I am guessing that most of the stock they have at the warehouse are items that were returned/unsold from their final round of US store closings. They probably described the stock as new assuming it was never handled at the store, and was returned unopened, which is probably the case for 99% of the lenses and other goods that went back to the warehouse. Unfortunately your experience fell into that other slim category! Some employee probably used it for an extended period personally, without buying it and put it back in the box before they quit/left/got canned (lets face it, how many people would have walked into a ritz camera store looking to buy or even try a pentax 10-17mm fisheye? I am sure they wouldve gotten away with it easily).
12-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #4

I bought a flash AF360 from ritz.com and the flash was scratched when it arrived. I called them and they said they would replace it. They are supposed to email me a Shipping label to print. I have not seen that email yet. They said to wait 24 hours.

12-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Damn Brit

If you two with a problem don't get your shipping labels, try posting a link to this thread when you go into live chat, that might give them a kick in the pants to deal with your problems.
12-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have only dealt with Ritz at their stores through the years and they were always pretty good about returns. I have never ordered from their online site. If you recieved a damaged product or mis-represented product then you have every right to demand either a refund or exchange.
12-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the replies -- josekj, I received the shipping label today (call them on Friday afternoon).

I am wondering if I should have them send another copy of the lens instead of returning it and get my money back....

From my experience, their Live Chat service are pretty poor -- I guess this service was outsourced (the agent know very little about their product, one told me that there are two versions of 10-17mm Fisheye - with different aperture!). Calling them by phone get better response, though the call drop many times in the middle...

Anyway, I will update on the progress as a share of experience for the forum member. I am a newbie in dSLR as I just bought my first dSLR in April 09.

Sad to see this nice lens go away...

12-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a K100D and a DA 18-250mm from Camera Clearance Center (Ritz on ebay). Shipping was fast and both items were great. No issues! Good price too.
GP
12-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
gp1806, yea, I bought a 43mm ltd on their ebay clearance site, got mine in good condition. The fisheye that I got I believe is from ebay store (they listed 10 DEMO-NEW 10-17mm, after I order one from Ritz, the amount change to 9...).

Anyway, I shipped the lens back this evening. Will call and let them know I shipped, will see when I will get my money back...

I am going to put this money to a DA 35mm Macro lens instead...
12-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Too bad as I love my 10-17. It's a real sweet lens if you like the fishy look.
12-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it is new,but used as a display model where people have touched,poked,thrown around,breathed on etc...then they decided as stock take purposes to put it on the clearance rack.I would be pissed if I got it the way you described.Make sure you get your money back.
12-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am shocked that you got through to them. The only time I ordered from them, (memory cards) they sent me the wrong items. It was nearly a week before I got through.
12-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
reeftool, yea, I like the Fisheye look, it added 'fun' to photography -- that is why I would like to have it... too bad the copy I received is a bad copy... I am so dissapointed as I have waited several weeks to finally pulled the trigger and make the order.

Barnster, yea, I believe it is a DEMO item like those listed in their ebay clearance store.

geauxpez, .... these online retailers.... they have no idea that if the customer is not satisfied the first time, they loose them forever.... I wonder why would they do that...

Now I am deciding between getting the FishEye or the 35mm Macro.
12-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I send the box back on Monday Dec 7, and yesterday they refunded me minus the shipping fee $10. Well, I figure it is not right to charge me the shipping because they did not send me the item as describe...

I guess just a lesson here and I will never order from them again.