Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash use: I need help please!

There it goes:

I am absolutely not used to do photography with flash, not even with the buil-in flash on the K20D and the K7. Latest attempts are, to say the least, very "ordinary".
Christmas is coming and I am "expected" to take pics of family ... children, etc ...

So my query(ies) (s) is(are):

I would like to have great Bokeh, using either my DA*16-50, the FA 50/1.4 and or the Zeiss 85/1.4. I know all of those lenses are able to produce interesting Bokeh.
Problem is: I will often need to use the built-in flash on the K20D/K7 and I want to be able to retain the Bokeh ... let's say from the X-Mas tree lights in the background, while doing a portrait/close-up portrait shot(s).
Is there a specific technique and setting which anyone would suggest to acieve that sort of image?
In order to have Bokeh, I need to use the lens wide open too, which complicates my "problem".

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

P.S.: I just acquired a "built-in flash diffuser" and that helps a great lot in diminishing the flash harshness.

12-07-2009, 02:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The built in flash can also be adjusted down to EV-2.0 i think
12-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I am by no means an expert; still trying to wrap my head around the vagaries of flash photography. I would suggest looking in to second curtain sync - end up with really slow shutter speeds, but preserves ambient light in the background. Also second Rustynail's suggestion of playing with EV comp, although I think that once you start using your diffuser, I think you'll end up on the plus side of the dial rather than minus.

Good luck. If you make any discoveries, please post them here <g>.

Best,
Kevin
12-07-2009, 06:57 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Well, if you are using the FA50 f1.4, you could just try to push the ISO a little... I you do need flash though, you could get a diffuser for the built in flash, or you could just make one... I used a small mirror i had laying around to bounce the light from the ceiling as you would with a flash gun. You lose a little power, but it's not too bad, and the photos look a LOT better...just my 2c.

12-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Inactive Account

My idea, open for comments (please)

I'm no where near an expert on this, but here's my take on the process.
First, create some space between the portrait subject and the lit tree behind them. This will make keeping the portrait sharp and the lights blurred easier. Use the lens that can frame the tree tightly from your working distance. The 50 or 85 would be better due to the aperture. Meter the tree to set your exposure for the lights with the widest aperture you can (try to keep that 1.4). Set the camera on manual and keep the exposure you worked out for just the tree. Put your portrait subject in place, focus and check the framing on the background (adjust positions as necessary). Pop up your flash and install your diffuser. Try the shot and see how it goes. You may need to dial down (or up) on the flash.
The exposure for the camera should be for the lights which should be out of focus. The focus should be on the portrait. The flash should act as a fill flash to light the portrait.

OK experts. What did I do wrong? (or could do differently for a better result?)
12-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
First, create some space between the portrait subject and the lit tree behind them. This will make keeping the portrait sharp and the lights blurred easier. Use the lens that can frame the tree tightly from your working distance. The 50 or 85 would be better due to the aperture. Meter the tree to set your exposure for the lights with the widest aperture you can (try to keep that 1.4). Set the camera on manual and keep the exposure you worked out for just the tree. Put your portrait subject in place, focus and check the framing on the background (adjust positions as necessary). Pop up your flash and install your diffuser. Try the shot and see how it goes. You may need to dial down (or up) on the flash.
The exposure for the camera should be for the lights which should be out of focus. The focus should be on the portrait. The flash should act as a fill flash to light the portrait.

Basically, that's it. I couldn't explain it any better.
12-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
The built in flash can also be adjusted down to EV-2.0 i think
Yes it can.
Will that do the trick?
JP

12-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
I am by no means an expert; still trying to wrap my head around the vagaries of flash photography. I would suggest looking in to second curtain sync - end up with really slow shutter speeds, but preserves ambient light in the background. Also second Rustynail's suggestion of playing with EV comp, although I think that once you start using your diffuser, I think you'll end up on the plus side of the dial rather than minus.

Good luck. If you make any discoveries, please post them here <g>.

Best,
Kevin
Hi Kevin.
I never really thought of this second curtain (trailing?).
I guess I will have to experiment like crazy before Christmas!
Thanks for the reply.
JP
12-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flacosaurio Quote
Well, if you are using the FA50 f1.4, you could just try to push the ISO a little... I you do need flash though, you could get a diffuser for the built in flash, or you could just make one... I used a small mirror i had laying around to bounce the light from the ceiling as you would with a flash gun. You lose a little power, but it's not too bad, and the photos look a LOT better...just my 2c.
Thanks!
Just got a built-in flash diffuser actually: Gary Fong type. In truth, I haven't even tried it seriously yet, but will.
Thanks for the reminder too. Using the 50mm at f1.4, or the 85mm at f1.4 should yield interesting results with flash and trying to keep the Bokeh.
JP
12-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

That is a great explanation of your technique, thank you!
By the time I am all set, the subject will have fallen asleep or passed out from too much X-Mas drinks!
Seriously though: this really looks like a great way to obtain what I am looking for: Bokeh and a well-lit subject.
Again, thanks!
JP
12-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Basically, that's it. I couldn't explain it any better.
Thanks Flyer.
So I take it you are in accord with the above described solution?
If that puny little buil-in flash is going to work, I won't have to invest in an expensive cobra flash then.
Cheers.
JP
12-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
By the time I am all set, the subject will have fallen asleep or passed out from too much X-Mas drinks!
JP
It should only take a minute or two to set up. Don't even get your portrait subjects involved until its time to take the shot. You can do all the rest yourself before hand. (especially if you practice it once or twice before the big day).

Good Luck and Seasons Greetings
Brian
12-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It should only take a minute or two to set up. Don't even get your portrait subjects involved until its time to take the shot. You can do all the rest yourself before hand. (especially if you practice it once or twice before the big day).

Good Luck and Seasons Greetings
Brian
Good idea.
I printed your post/ technique and it's posted on my monitor with a nice, yellow "Post-It", ready for trial later this week.
Thanks a bunch!
JP