Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I've used my K10 at -20 C with no problems. The ratings supplied by the camera manufacturers are, I believe, based on the coldest temperature at which they tested the gear, not what it is actually capable of doing.
My old K10D, now gifted to my son, was indeed quite capable at sub-zero temperatures.
JP

12-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can just imagine the note you will include with the warranty claim...

Steve

(Imagines camera lube the consistency of hard candy...)
I cold tested an LX and a K1000 to death one time. It was around -40ºC/F, and I bundled up and went shooting.
The battery in the LX went after about 3/4 of an hour, which left me shooting above 1/80 second, at about an hour the k1000 bricked by having it's shutter freeze open, and about 10 minutes or so after that, the LX froze solid as well.
I took them home and bagged them for a few hours and everything was fine.
12-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Wheatfield has the right of it, basically. The thing you want to watch out for is *temperature changes,* really. If you want a battery-dependent camera to operate in the subzero, keep a battery in your *pocket.* The thing you *don't* want to do is bring a camera directly in from extended exposure to the cold, expose it directly to warm air, and expect it to be OK. Most camera bags will moderate the temperature well enough for that if you're patient: don't open the bag until your toes are warm enough in your boots, is my rule of thumb.

Going from a warm bag to open air is a lot more forgiving, and you don't really have to think about that much. Cold batteries won't help you much, though, so keep your spares on your body.

I mean, enterprising young individuals have shot humbler Pentax DSLRs into *space* and they worked. Just keep your batteries warm.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-09-2009 at 05:31 PM.
12-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cozy Camera Bag

Have a alpine mountaineer friend who uses their products with no complaints.

12-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some CR1/3N 3V lithium cells. These have the same form factor as 2 standard 1.5V silver cells stacked.
Lithium cells are said to have superior performance in cold weather. If we get a cold snap here I'll try them out.

Chris
12-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I have taken my K10D skiing for a full day without issue. My usual routine is to leave it in my truck and when my aging legs turn to rubber, I take the camera out for a while and head to the terrain park and get some shots of the kids in the half pipe and bumps. The battery has always stayed up and an average day I will take a couple of hundred shots at least. If the temperature is extreme cold (below 0F and -15C) or colder, I will call it quits before the camera does. Last winter, I skied with my daughter in the morning and shot about 200 shots of her Superpipe Freeskiing competition in the afternoon at Mt. Snow. In the evening, we went over to Stratton where her friends were competing in Quarterpipe Snowboard under the lights. I shot off another 100 or more shots and only quit when my body was starting to really ache all over. I never recharged the battery all day and the warmest the camera ever got was the 1/2 drive from Mt. Snow to Stratton. The temp. ranges were from 10F to mid 20'sF. Unless the temps are really extreme, I wouldn't worry and as for me, I won't be out shooting.
12-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #22
Pentaxian

edited by poster

Last edited by lesmore49; 12-21-2009 at 11:58 PM.
12-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Duplo / Thomas has been shooting prolonged in Greenland at - 40 degrees with Pentax. And so has Leopold from Canada.

If it get minus 20 in the car, just have the camera wrapped in some isolating layer, and then maybe in a case. This should keep the temperature more comfortable for it

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Wheatfield has the right of it, basically. The thing you want to watch out for is *temperature changes,* really. If you want a battery-dependent camera to operate in the subzero, keep a battery in your *pocket.* The thing you *don't* want to do is bring a camera directly in from extended exposure to the cold, expose it directly to warm air, and expect it to be OK. Most camera bags will moderate the temperature well enough for that if you're patient: don't open the bag until your toes are warm enough in your boots, is my rule of thumb.

Going from a warm bag to open air is a lot more forgiving, and you don't really have to think about that much. Cold batteries won't help you much, though, so keep your spares on your body.

I mean, enterprising young individuals have shot humbler Pentax DSLRs into *space* and they worked. Just keep your batteries warm.
Good points
12-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never experienced this, but does anyone else remember warnings that in very cold dry conditions
using a high speed motor drive could produce enough static electricity to fog film?

Chris
12-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I never experienced this, but does anyone else remember warnings that in very cold dry conditions
using a high speed motor drive could produce enough static electricity to fog film?

Chris
It's quite true Chris, but not fogging, lightning strokes. Somewhere in my cubic metre of uncatalogued negatives and slides, I have one as an example. Check back with me in 2025 or thereabouts.
12-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
I've had it happen also. Not with a really fast drive, either. I think a 3 FPS or so Nikon drive.