Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photographers win British war on photography?

"Is Britain's war on photography coming to an end? After the Independent newspaper got senior officials to admit that anti-terror legislation was being "widely abused...to question and search innocent photographers," the Association of Chief Police Officers has sent out a strongly worded memo to all officers ordering them to cease the practice. The harrassment of photographers by police officers is said to have senior officers "exasperated, depressed and embarrassed," and they characterize officers' belief that anti-terror laws prohibit photography as an "internal urban myth." "

From a story on BoingBoing

12-08-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's about time.
12-08-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sure hope so for all you Brits out there. Except for that one Damn one anyway.
12-08-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
"Is Britain's war on photography coming to an end? After the Independent newspaper got senior officials to admit that anti-terror legislation was being "widely abused...to question and search innocent photographers," the Association of Chief Police Officers has sent out a strongly worded memo to all officers ordering them to cease the practice. The harrassment of photographers by police officers is said to have senior officers "exasperated, depressed and embarrassed," and they characterize officers' belief that anti-terror laws prohibit photography as an "internal urban myth." "

From a story on BoingBoing
Not likely to have much effect. They put out guidelines some time ago which have been widely ignored, especially by the London Metropolitan Police (who are responsible for 90% of these abuses) or by PCSOs (Police Community Support Officers, or volunteer "pretend" police who would never in a million years qualify to actualy JOIN the Police but act like the Stazi in E Germany, informing on everyone else).

Nor does it address the ongoing harrassment of photographers by security guards and park officials acting outside their remit.

Long way to go yet I'm afraid.

I do not expect these platitudes to have any

12-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Carry around a copy of the memo! You'll need it.
12-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Sure hope so for all you Brits out there. Except for that one Damn one anyway.
Up yours.

Some good may come of this, at least it proves that the people in Britain still have a voice that is heard. If the same thing were happening over here, the dissenters would be accused of being un-American and beaten with a night stick.
12-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Up yours.

Some good may come of this, at least it proves that the people in Britain still have a voice that is heard. If the same thing were happening over here, the dissenters would be accused of being un-American and beaten with a night stick.
Funny thing - this summer in St. Louis a dissenter was beaten up by members of the Service Employees International Union.

But then, he was a Tea Partier, dissenting about the Health Care Bill at Representative Russ Carnahan's (D) Town Hall Forum. The SEIU enforcers didn't like the fact that a black man in a wheelchair would contradict the Congressman.

So the beat him.

It took the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney (D) until just last week to issue indictments against the three.

I'm just sayin'

12-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In last Saturdays Daily Mail ( I promise that I don't buy it, I read my old mans copy ) there was a two page article about this, which I ripped out before he read it.

This handy little list of rights was on the page, so I've copied it and carry it in my bag.