Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I carry a small kit almost daily. Don't store it in the car , just grab it on the way out the door.Kit consists of :
1) pelican 1400- Underwater Adveture makes one the same size for a little less.
1) K200D
3) MF zooms covering 24- 210 mm
1) Tamron T/C
1) small box with extra batteries , SD card and lens cloth
1) desicant pack that came in the box with my computer (pull a single piece of foam so it's not touching your gear)

This little set up covers almost every situation for me. The Pelican is very protective but I don't think I'd leave it in the trunk all Winter in the Great White North.
As far as desicant packs , go ask the guy behind the counter at Radio Shack, he probably throws away a bunch daily.

12-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I always keep my M4-2 and 35mm lens in the glove compartment of the car (unless I am carrying it, obviously). But 95% of the time or more I have the 1Ds2 + some lens with me anywhere I go. If I can lug that big beast around everywhere, I'm sure you can find a way to carry a more compact DSLR.
12-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

If it gets too hot inside your vehicle, the lube inside the lens would run off and find its way into the apertures.
This is how the aperture blade become contaminated with oil and become sticky and makes your lens almost unusable or its value depreciated.
12-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

In my previous job we kept two cases of Nikon lenses in the photo van all year round, this is the southern Canadian prairie so summers in the high 30sC and winters into the -30C. No problems. The video and digital cameras were not always left in the van in the winter. But humidity is a non issue on the prairies.

12-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would prefer one of the higher quality P&S cameras that you can carry everywhere in your pocket rather than storing any of my SLR gear in the trunk. We have temperature extremes in this climate, 90's in the summer which can heat car interiors enough to damage photo gear, to way below 0 in the winter months. High humidity is a problem here all year around. The stuff would get destroyed. Sunday morning it was 6 deg F. when I got up and 45 deg F and raining with dense fog caused by snow melt when I came home from work that night. I would not feel comfortable leaving my camera gear in the vehicle all the time. Also, I work as a fleet mechanic and often I find problems due to severely corroded connections and wiring even in the cabs of the trucks.
12-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The batteries shouldn't die because of cold. Heat is what kills them. I keep the AA in the fridge for my flash units. Had some in there for over a year past expiry and worked like brand new after a warm up.
There is a difference between a fridge (above freezing) and a trunk in winter (below freezing). Keeping the batteries in the fridge has little impact on their performances, one way or another, but bringing batteries to a really cold temperature will deplete them fast. Trust my experience, I live in Quebec city

True, you can bring some life back into them by warming them, but not much.
12-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I wouldn't store this setup in the auto, for reasons others have already given here, i.e. heat, freezing cold, and theft.

That said, all of my equipment IS stored in Pelican cases, along with these:

Renewable silica gel device (plugs into mains to renew): National Marine Products Inc EDV300 - Eva-Dry EDV 300 Mini Dehumidifier - Electric Air Dehumidifiers - Eva-Dry MOMENTUM MARKETING

Compact temperature-humidity monitor: National Marine Products Inc Compact Hygro-Thermometer Clock - Thermometers Humidity Monitor

12-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OTOH a camera stored in a coat pocket has its own heating system - you!

Chris
12-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
OTOH a camera stored in a coat pocket has its own heating system - you!

Chris
Just don't put a cold camera there -- that is a warm, humid environment and moisture will condense on and inside the cold camera!
12-21-2009, 03:58 AM   #25

Given that special grab shot is the occasion itself, high resolution is not required. Any need to change lenses will also ruin that grab moment. Go for the zoom compact eg Lumix. The wife should be getting one this year for X-mas. Found a rediculously good price on Ebay. Leaving a camera in the car WILL destroy it and probably will not work when that special shot comes up. I have heard of pros carrying a little Lumix around when a full kit is not practical. If a special landscape is beckoning, come back later with the full kit.
12-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Sounds like too much trouble. I guess I'll just stay home and take pictures of my cat.

(I kid, I kid!)
12-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #27
Pentaxian

You can only take so many pictures of your cat at home.

This is what I do re: camera out and about.

I carry my 'B team' camera a Pentax KM (K2000) in a small lowepro bag. I have a 18-55 kit lens attached to it. This is a very light combo.

My 'A team' equipment is a Pentax K10D with equipment.

I use my KM as my daily carry around camera. If i don't have it with me, I lock it in the trunk of my sedan...where it's completely hidden from view. I always check things out in the environs I'm in to make sure no one sees me slip the case into the trunk.

I never leave it there very long...can be 35 below where I live or 95 above in the summer.

I would not leave it overnight...just asking for trouble and never leave it visible in your car.

Mostly I have the Lowepro with camera and lens inside...slung over my shoulder. I'm retired so mostly when I go out it's for errands or I have a short trip planned fro a pix taking trek.

Last edited by lesmore49; 12-21-2009 at 11:59 PM.
12-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I bought a Lowepro fastpack 250. Carries my laptop, K10D, 50-134, and my 21mm ltd to and from work.

Now I don't worry about heat, cold, theft and it's always with me.