Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
astrophotography with K-7 - issues =(. Please help?

Hello,

I've never done any astrophotography before and I'm trying to do a few nice star trails. I'm failing miserably though, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

First, ideally I'd like to do several exposures and stack/merge them. I downloaded a freebie called deepskystacker but I'm having a little issue with my camera. When I set the thing to do interval shooting, every 30 seconds, with an exposure time of 30 seconds set manually, there seem to be gaps between the joined images. Is this because the camera is doing some processing in between and how would I avoid that please?

Secondly, I'd like to do this for exposures longer than 30 seconds but the in-camera limit seem to be 30 seconds. Is there any way around that?

many thanks in advance

12-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You are getting gaps in the trails due to dark frame subtraction by the camera.
The only way to go beyound 30 seconds is to use the bulb mode.
If you take a 5 minute shot, the camera will take about 5 minutes to finish dark frame subtraction. I don't believe anyone has found a way to turn all that off.
12-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks wildlifephotog, I've been fiddling with it all night and whilost I've turned off those default noise settings, it still has gaps - even for exposures at 20 seconds and seperated by 20 seconds. So it must be some inbuilt thing - is there no way to turn this off at all for shots below 30 seconds?

I thought that this is what custom setting 18 was supposed to do "slow shutter speed noise reduction" - turn all this sort of stuff off?
12-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster

This seems to be the best I can come up with. These is a quick and dirty 5 20 second exposures merged in HDR via CS3, with setting 18 turned to "off".

Has anyone had any success with this at all?

many thanks

12-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

From other threads on this same subject that I've read, no.
It appears the DFS is a separate function that can not be turned off.
If the camera is pausing between shots, then the DFS is automatic.
12-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

This seems to be something that Pentax doesn't do well. A friend of mine does wonderful star trails with whatever Canon is the flavor of the week.
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

i can disable DFS (dark frame subraction) on my K200D, i'd be very suprised if you couldnt on your K7. This is test i did quite a while back, 30 sec exposures.

12-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
i can disable DFS (dark frame subraction) on my K200D, i'd be very suprised if you couldnt on your K7. This is test i did quite a while back, 30 sec exposures.
DFS cannot be disabled on the K20 or K7. The scuttlebut that I heard when the K20 came out was that the Samsung sensor was just too noisy, so Pentax elected to not allow it to be disabled to hide how bad the sensor really is.
12-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K7 is more than capable of doing long exposures cleanly...

I had no problems with my stacked star trails....

This is 16 x 30sec exposures, now the important thing is TURN OFF slow shutter NR, this will effectively turn off DFS for exposures <30secs.

And keep the camera firing continuously.
12-16-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
The K7 is more than capable of doing long exposures cleanly...

I had no problems with my stacked star trails....

This is 16 x 30sec exposures, now the important thing is TURN OFF slow shutter NR, this will effectively turn off DFS for exposures <30secs.

And keep the camera firing continuously.
Tsotores, thanks. By "TURN OFF slow shutter NR" you mean setting 18, is that right?

What do you mean by firing continuously? The shutter option?

Thanks again
12-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Nass,
If you enlarge each of the photos in this thread. You'll see there are small gaps in all of them.
These are caused by the delay during the writing to the card.
12-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
Inactive Account

BTW. I just heard from a Pentax rep. All noise reduction and DFS can be disabled for 30 seconds.
12-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
BTW. I just heard from a Pentax rep. All noise reduction and DFS can be disabled for 30 seconds.
You guys have piqued my interest but apparently my K20D only offers "Auto" or "On" for Slow Shutter Speed Noise Reduction. "On" enables it for anything longer than 0.3 seconds, while Auto makes NR "automatically activated according to the situation" - which is useless!!!

C.W. Tsorotes, I like your work-around, impressive photo! Does anyone know of a similar method for the K20D? (Or is it time to buy a K7? )
12-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
hello again - I don't suppose you'd have a name for this rep or where this is written down (ie where he got this from)? If this is so then I must be doing something wrong - I still get those blasted gaps even with everything obvious turned off - so I was thinking about calling the service guys here in the UK to see if they could shed light on this, what I'm doing wrong!!

Cheers