Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting winter sports all day long.

Does anyone here shot winter sports like snowmobile racing, motorcycle ice racing and the such? Starting Jan 3rd I will be shooting motorcycle ice racing. Now it is going to be cold because they will be racing on a lake. I'm wondering in between races and like at lunch I'm planning on taking the battery (ies) out and putting them in my pocket to warm them up. But what about the camera. Would I leave it out in the cold? I don't think I would want to put it in a ziplock baggie and put in the truck where I will be warming up at. Also in the freezing cold, I'm guessing putting the second batttery in the grip isn't a good idea. I'm thinking I will leave the battery grip on but only have the battery in the camera going. Then I will switch them out with the ones that will be in my pocket after every race or so to refresh them. I will be taking three batteries with me and I will be shooting the K20D with the Sigma 50-500mm lens. The battery grip is the Pentax battery grip.

Thank you
Jim Browning

12-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #2

Use Lithium batteries (non-rechargable kind) Like the Energizer e2 Lithiums.
They're rated for like 80% capacity down to 0F, so no worries.

Not sure about bringing it into the truck with you between races, though. I probably wouldn't worry about it though.
12-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You got things sorted out well.

The camera should operate ok in the cold (maybe the LCD will lag though). Just leave the camera in your camera bag, CLOSED, to let it warm up slowly, and you'll be all set. I've done it many times.
12-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by erickallemeyn Quote
Use Lithium batteries (non-rechargable kind) Like the Energizer e2 Lithiums.
They're rated for like 80% capacity down to 0F, so no worries.

Not sure about bringing it into the truck with you between races, though. I probably wouldn't worry about it though.
Wow I didn't think the lithiums came in the size for the K20D.

Thanks
Jim

12-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #5

I had a momentary lapse of brain function. The K20D batteries ARE Li-ion. You'll be fine

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QJIMDQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=48...SWN38EE093FTZC
12-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You got things sorted out well.

The camera should operate ok in the cold (maybe the LCD will lag though). Just leave the camera in your camera bag, CLOSED, to let it warm up slowly, and you'll be all set. I've done it many times.
Thanks bdery, so you think the camera and lens in the camera bag closed will be ok between races while I'm warming up? I was worried about condensation building up on them.

Thanks
Jim
12-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Thanks bdery, so you think the camera and lens in the camera bag closed will be ok between races while I'm warming up? I was worried about condensation building up on them.

Thanks
Jim
Yes, everything should be all right. I would only add some packet of silica gel in the camera bag to help "soak up" any moisture that could form.

12-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Yes, everything should be all right. I would only add some packet of silica gel in the camera bag to help "soak up" any moisture that could form.
Thanks Yves, I will look for some to put in my camera bag.

Thanks
Jim
12-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have had the camera out shooting freestyle skiing and snowboarding events all day with no issues. When I wasn't using it , it was in my truck and just as cold. BTW, it's a K10D so your camera should perform similar.
12-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The key is simply to remember two things:

1-batteries will run faster, but if you keep them as warm as possibible and bring backups, it'll help

2-do not let the camera warm too fast.

For the latter, I did once, and condensation formed on my Sigma 17-70. After it got warm, the vapor went away and it works just as well as before. Better safe than sorry but do not panic if it happens.
12-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks reeftool & bdery. I'm planning on taking me 3 batteries. There will be 1 in the camera and the other two will be in a inside pocket so my body heat will keep them warm then I will switch them every so often.

I am looking for the silica gels Yves mentioned and I will need to reconfigure my bag so I can put the k20d and 50-500 in there while they are still attached.

Thank you all very much
Jim Browning