Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some decent photo editing software

Just thought I'd post a link to Paint.net photo editing software. I'm too cheap so far (LBA takes all the $$$) for PS (but someday soon...). So I gave this a try about a month ago and it works very well although it does not support RAW files so everything is done in JPEG's. I found it easy to figure out and use. And it's free!!

Here's the link

Paint.NET - Free Photo Editing Software for Windows

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-16-2007 at 08:48 PM.
06-17-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks. I'll have a look at it.

Are you familiar with The GIMP?
06-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
No Mike I hadn't tried it but after your post I had a look at the background about the program and it looks very extensive. I'm going to download the program and play with it. Have you used GIMP?

For those that might want to try GIMP I'll save you 30 minutes searching a somewhat confusing web site for the download links:

GIMP - Windows installers
06-17-2007, 05:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't have the money for the "big" photoshop either - I happened on a sale @ Best Buy though where they had Photoshop Elements 5 for $50, so I got that.

I love it, it's a very good alternative if you don't have the dough for the CS2/3.

06-17-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You could also buy a sandisk memory card and get Capture one LE for free...supports the k10 PEF format is about all you need for editiing...love it, works great and is very accurate with white balance.

I cant remember but i think Adobe Bridge is a free download....it has its own RAW editor which is also very good for everyday use.
06-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Try the demo for a program called Picture Window Pro. This is a program designed for photographers (absent all of the art/design stuff that you pay for in PS and never use) and is much more intuitive to use. They don't advertise, so it's little known.
06-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Just thought I'd post a link to Paint.net photo editing software. I'm too cheap so far (LBA takes all the $$$) for PS (but someday soon...). So I gave this a try about a month ago and it works very well although it does not support RAW files so everything is done in JPEG's. I found it easy to figure out and use. And it's free!!

Here's the link

Paint.NET - Free Photo Editing Software for Windows
I use paint.net all the time. BTW There have been a couple of RAW plugins for Paint.net released. Visit the paint.net forums, and search their plugin archive. I think you'll find it there very quickly. It is one of the most popular plugins..and, being open source, it is free.

06-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
No Mike I hadn't tried it but after your post I had a look at the background about the program and it looks very extensive. I'm going to download the program and play with it. Have you used GIMP?
I use it exclusively. It has all the features I need (plus a bunch I don't), and at $0 the price was certainly right. Almost 100% of these photos were processed in GIMP. The few that weren't were done in Paintshop Pro XI.
06-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #9

Yes, Paint.NET is nice piece of software indeed. It fulfills all basic postprocessing needs quite nicely. Those who find GIMP interface a bit intimidating may want to check Paint.NET out.

There are few things I'm missing in Paint.NET though. I wish they'd add a support for actions or some sort of scripting. That'd make it much more useful for processing image series instead of single images.
06-18-2007, 01:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

GIMP interface isn't so much intimidating as it is annoying.

I tried installing one of the add-ons that are supposed to collect it all into one window, but it made the normally stable GIMP buggy and crash-prone.
06-18-2007, 04:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Plug in's

QuoteOriginally posted by fletcherkane Quote
I use paint.net all the time. BTW There have been a couple of RAW plugins for Paint.net released. Visit the paint.net forums, and search their plugin archive. I think you'll find it there very quickly. It is one of the most popular plugins..and, being open source, it is free.
Great suggestion. I'll have to go a hunting and add these. That's why I started the thread to begin with there's lots of software out there and PS may not always be the only choice.

As for GIMP I tried that yesterday for an hour or so and I agree with Mike, it's annoying and not very user friendly so far. With Paint.net I was cloning out some dust specs in about 30 seconds after loading it on the computer. The GIMP interface just doesn't seem as easy to figure out. Even navigating the web site was not as easy as it should be. The software seems designed by propeller heads that assume I know what I'm doing....