Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Nubi

Pixels and noises and full frame and all

There are much lively discussions about sensors and pixels and low light and sharpness and all the other stuff. I do admit, rather openly and easily that yes much of this beloved hobby called photography owes its aura and giddy excitement to the geekiness of the instrument itself that stirs up so much emotion so deep in the souls of those who shamelessly pluck down thousands to simply reproduce what they see (based on how heated these discussions get) for no personal gain other than enjoyment and crap (oops, I shouldn't have said that, sorry), as most of us here are not professionals.

Fundamental theory and proper techniques are just that; theories and techniques, and important yes very much so, but at one point or another one has to move on from that and really discovers for himself what photography is all about. I don't pretend to know what that is exactly, especially since I know for a fact that it varies from one photographer to another in very many subtle ways. But one thing I know for sure; and that is that what we the photographers look for, the ultimate reason why one picks up a camera and shoot, is not found buried in the pixels and noises, and just by making all images sharper than what a dude on human growth hormone would see will not bring a guy with a FF Nirvana.

Yet manufactures, including our own Pentax, perpetuates this nonsense just as badly, if not worse, as those who spend hours discussing them instead of taking pictures. Every 18 months we have new this or that, and we all get excited (myself included of course), and buy them (myself included), and then realize later that you couldn't tell the print apart from that taken by K10D on a worse printer (myself included). WTF?? Do we really need to create this stupid bandwagon and ride it off a cliff? But yes I understand that if we don't buy their product, Pentax will be flushed down the toilet like a bleeding diarrhea that never quite stopped.

I am not sick of talking about it or anything like that, but I feel the urgency to move on from all that. Aren't we all better than that? We can take this time making our learning curve even steeper. We can be out there taking pictures.

So, whose fault is this? Us the geeks? or the evil Pentax???

12-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep - I'm guilty too, but the geekiness is all part of the fun isn't it? (it is for me.) My one recommendation is you never ues the phrase "bleeding diarrhea" in polite conversation .
12-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's because photography combines both technology & artistry. I don't thing a painting forum would have many tech-heads in it.

I think DSLRs have advanced a lot in the last 5 years. The bodies are much more affordable, have lower power consumption & more features (some of them actually useful). ow if only lens were more affordable...

Dan.