Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How often do you use a tripod for outdoor portraits (wedding, family, etc)
Always 44.00%
Most of the time 1313.00%
Sometimes 3636.00%
Rarely 2525.00%
Never 2222.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
Inactive Account

I have never used a tripod for portraits. Maybe once or twice for a group shot but the problem is that it takes far too long to set up. It is easier and quicker to simply frame the shot in the viewfinder. If I were fiddling about with a tripod for group wedding shots people will get bored.

I do use my monopod quit a lot. For everything really, landscapes, portraits, aviation the list goes on. They are much more useful. My Manfrotto uses the quick release (pinky finger lock) so it simply slides in and out, no hassle, quick and efficient. My camera bodies and lenses all have quick release plates so switching camera to use another lens is just as quick.

I have taken some 1/10th of a second shots on the monopod which I would have missed on the tripod after setting it up.

01-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #17

I think tripods are a little too invasive for my kind of portraits. And it's outdoor, why would you even need one? With a 50mm 1.7 and stability reduction you'll cover a lot of lighting situations.
01-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mr. jef Quote
I think tripods are a little too invasive for my kind of portraits. And it's outdoor, why would you even need one? With a 50mm 1.7 and stability reduction you'll cover a lot of lighting situations.
do a 2/1, 5/1, .. heck even 1/5 exposure. what if you need consistency across multiple exposures? what if you've dialed in your lighting and moving a foot to the left gives you undesirable results?

there's some very solid reasons tripods are still used today. not using one, or thinking you don't need one simply limits what you can do.

try a 30sec exposure at night with a trailing flash sync with a model against a nice cityscape, or lit up in a cool way with surrounding light. you could sorta fake it with a high iso, but it wouldn't have the same colors.
01-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote

try a 30sec exposure at night with a trailing flash sync with a model against a nice cityscape, or lit up in a cool way with surrounding light. you could sorta fake it with a high iso, but it wouldn't have the same colors.
I don't think anyone was going to try 30 second exposures without something steady to hold the camera up. The question of outdoor photography for weddings, family portrait etc would fall more often in the > 1/100 shutter speed than 30/1 shutter speed.

I'm pretty sure everyone could agree that night photography is pretty tough without a tripod.

01-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #20

Most of my shooting is in the city street so, of course, I'm not using a tripod. On the occasionas I do a rather formal portrait shoot, usually for a family, I use my tripod. One issue is you don't pose small children or babies. I usually end up taking a lot of photos and then see what the small children and babies gave me. Call me crazy but sometimes I use a reflector, too, when I'm doing a portrait shoot.
01-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #21
Forum Member

I'm still soooooo slow with the tripod, that use it for anything apart from landscape is out of question for me ( but I'm training & improving ). Anyway, as I prefer "moments" without posing, i guess steady hand have to do for me
01-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would if it was my shoot, but I don't think I would bring one to a family wedding where someone else was the primary.

02-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was 'The tripod is the sharpest lens in your bag'. It's something I've never forgotten and is still very true.

Justin.
And that's real talk Justin! I'll never forget that either! Thanks for sharing that advice!

I usually take my tripod with me anywhere i go regardless of what I'm doing.... I figure its safer to have it than not to have it.. I've been many places and left it home and realized I need it or want to use it.
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
new tri-pod just showed up. It is only 50" but it is super light and small, maybe I will now carry it more. It must weigh 5lbs less than my metal one.
02-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbphotog:
I always use my tripod for anything other than 'fun' family snapshots (ie. something anything vaguely serious!) Its not just the stability and the host of benefits that the tripod inherently provides, but for my favoured time of photography, it makes me stop and take more time to consider composition and light. For me, its much more than a tool for just 'taking' photographs, it helps me produce 'better' (subjectively!) photographs.
I agree with you 100% sbphotog!

I use a tripod for outdoor portraits mainly for two reasons:

1.) Little worries of camera shake.
2.) Consistent composition.

We all try to be ready for that rare grab-shot, but as its name implies, a grab-shot is just that - an impromptu photo opportunity which if missed, often never presents itself again with the same spontaneity.

For all other shots, I use a tripod.

In my family/circle of friends. I'm known as (Uncle) Mike, the photographer.

When at an outdoor party/event, I set up my tripod to let people know I'm taking photos. It's not uncommon for me to ask an attractive woman or couple that I haven't formally met for their permission to take a portrait of them. When they see the tripod, they realize that I am serious about photography, and usually agree.

This usually starts a mini portrait session. I take 2 or 3 shots, then show them the results to reassure them that the photos are coming out good. The subjects are then usually willing to pose for another minute or two. I often get a dozen or more shots before I see they're getting tired of posing. Of these shots, I'll usually get 1 to 5 keepers.

This mini photo session often starts more mini photo sessions, as when others hear of "the nice pictures that Mike took," they'll ask me to take their portraits.

If I know the person fairly well, I'll send them a disk of their shots to their house, but if dealing with people I've just met, I tell them I'll send a disk or prints to the host or a mutual friend. This way, I never make anyone feel uncomfortable by asking them to give their address or phone number to a stranger. By doing this, I have made a number of new friends, who then invite me to one of their parties to take photos. So it goes on ad infinitum.

If shooting inside, I always bring a tripod, as I'm a big fan of natural window light. The same tripod benefits of no shake and consistent composition apply here as well.

If I'm shooting indoors at night, then Mr. tripod gets to rest.

A tripod can be your best friend.

Mike
04-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #26

i don't use a tripod unless i shoot landscape or low light photos