Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 02:25 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
The composition is obviously very strong as soon as you look at it, the leading geometry...
Thanks a lot! Means a lot to me especially from such an accomplished photographer.

01-12-2010, 04:48 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

EDIT:
For the one below I removed a sign at the door because I was chuffed how my previsualisation had worked in this instance:
This is such a gorgeous shot that I feel like a total heel for saying this, but it needs a wee bit of straightening. My eyes keep going to that short vertical near the upper left edge. Ever-so-slightly out of kilter verticals aren't so noticeable anywhere else in a picture, but when they're right at the edge like that they often are.
01-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've had my camera for two years and I feel the same way. Never very happy with the photos I take. Or, I take one I think is really good, post it on a forum for CC and am told all these reasons why it really is a poor image and after the comments, I usually see the flaws and then am down again on my abilities.

I did howerver have my own "AH HA!" moment, like you did with Elements and am doing a bit better. And, I'm doing the 365 project...taking a picture every day to post on the site. That way it forces me to take my camera out every day and shoot. I'm also reading a few books that are helping a bit. But I'm not sure that I'll ever get out of that funk where I am not pleased with my photos.
01-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
This is such a gorgeous shot that I feel like a total heel for saying this, but it needs a wee bit of straightening.
Thanks a lot for the comment and I don't mind the suggestion for improvement at all. You must be a very keen observer if you spotted the alignment issue using the small size only. I'm not sure where the misalignment comes from. I think me pointing the camera down a bit adds to what you see (most verticals are pretty straight if you hold a ruler, e.g., another window on the screen, against them), but still a slight adjustment might be in order. I tend to avoid straightening if the problem isn't big because of the loss of acuity involved. Thanks again!

01-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You know how you made the image, you know what you had in mind and how the image doesn't come close. Others just see the image for what it is and can better appreciate its intrinsic qualities (and may have not quite as high standards as those of us who are their own worst judges).

I think the more one can control the lighting, the more often one will have success in creating images with a "wow" factor. Otherwise, you'll have to work with what you've got and that sometimes works but more often than not is suboptimal and hence most of use who's shooting time is limited and do not control their lighting will have to wait for the odd chance of some happy circumstances (if you are subject matter focused, that is, otherwise just chase the light ).

I don't want to do a lot of PP because I use the computer a lot outside photography and I want to concentrate on core photography skills. But I realise that some PP can dramatically improve images so I'm sometimes torn to where to draw the line.
I have a habit of constantly changing my PP style to match my mood. This leaves me questioning my choice of PP in the following weeks after it's uploaded.

I've been doing a lot of portraiture for the past few months and was a firm believer of utilizing ambient light only. After some thought, it came to me that I should be the one in control of lighting, especially in unpredictable tropical weather. Decided to pick up strobing this year and I'll see how it turns out...
01-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Previsualization is a key we don't often hear about

Author an excellent photographer David duChemin has the best quote I've seen on this subject. It's from his book Within the Frame.

"Three images go into making your final photograph. The first is the image you visualize--the story you are compelled to tell. The second is the scene you capture with your camera. The third is the image you refine in post-production. The better we are at all of these, the closer the photograph will come to reflecting our initial vision."

There's a lot of advice around on how to compose and edit photos but it's the first part that is so tricky and why many of us are never quite satisfied with the final result. It's that we can't quite create that photo we've seen in our mind's eye. It doesn't look quite the way we've imagined. It doesn't tell the story we desire to share.

But the quest for that great photo is awfully fulfilling.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365