Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First Engagement Shoot

Well I am doing my first engagement shots for one of my best friends before he heads back to school. I'm really not sure where to start, I want them to be great.

I don't normally shoot people so any help would be greatly appreciated

01-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There is a General Photo Techniques forum on here; one if the Mods may move this thread to that section..... Lots of good info on there and your question will be answered....
01-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Shoot mostly with a shallow DoF unless there's a beautiful background like that sunset in your sig.

posing is pretty much anything couple facing you, away different angles, keep them especially heads close all the time not further than an arms length away (i know sounds weird)

what i find most important even with friends...keep CHATTING with them not just telling them how to pose, this keeps them at ease and when they're at ease posing comes natural.

*note* not a pro, i shoot a lot of crap (PPG shoots me down a lot) but i do get the odd shot or two that really impresses even me
01-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Find an appropriate location and practice before you go with a willing subject - get a feel for what works for you.
Use your fast fifty - nothing else will compare to it for this kind of photography.

01-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, the 50mm is already mounted, i know im going to use that lense. I knnow the area we are going to shoot fairly well, as long as the rain holds up I should be ok.

I appreciate the advice
01-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
Thanks guys, the 50mm is already mounted, i know im going to use that lense. I knnow the area we are going to shoot fairly well, as long as the rain holds up I should be ok.

I appreciate the advice
DON'T be afraid of the rain. Nothing makes a photo shoot more interesting than some inclement weather... rain, snow and wind all make great photos. Plus if you get really into it, it will help your models stay excited. There's nothing worse than a clear blue sky to ruin a perfectly good photo.

It seems you already have a location but have you checked out some of the nooks and crannies at Como Lake? There's lots of interesting possibilities there.
01-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
there isnt much at Como Lake, we were thinking burnaby mountain, or stanley park (since that is where he proposed to her)

01-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You can't go wrong with Stanley Park but I think you are overlooking a couple of good shots to be had at Como Lake on the west and north sides and possibly on the south and east sides looking across the lake. Its been 10 years... but I did some portraits there once. There is a fairly classic early morning shot from the south corner on Gatensbury (with the little island) and the some nice treed stuff at the north end. You just have to be mindful of your framing
01-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think there is more options at the other 2 locations, if it was just one portrait I'd consider Como lake I just dont think it has enough variety to work with
01-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Make sure you take pictures when they think you're not. Especially if they are joking and laughing with each other. Those much more honest than posed pictures. Those are the pictures that really let their affection for each other come through.
01-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
those are the ones I'm best at, I suck at posing people for shots so that will be the easy part.
01-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Relax, be yourself and take your time.

If you are using a hotshoe flash try and pick up a tether cord so you can use it off camera. Alternatively use a wireless option and mount the flash on a tripod. You could even pick up a Lastolite umbrella hotshoe flash kit for around $100. This will give you countless creative abilities.

When I do portraits with flash (not so much anymore, trying to go natural) take a light reading of the scene first. For instance, if the scene is 1/60 f/4 you could set your flash to 1/32 power which (i think) is 1.5 stops greater than the scene. The ambient light will provide enough illumination and the flash will give you some great contrasty, vibrant, atmospheric shots. Of course the flash will be the major player in this situation. Alternatively you could set it as a fill in flash. Take the ambient light reading and drop the flash strength to -1.5 stops. This will fill in the darker areas of the faces.

If you havent got the funds for or havent got a flash look at getting one of the reflectors. A gold reflector works great on cloudy days but there are other options like a silver and white one. These work great for filling in darker areas of faces using natural light.

Apart from flash techniques it boils down to exposure and framing. These factors depend on your own tastes so make sure you exhaust your creative ability.

Have fun and good luck.

EDIT: I do the majority of my portrait work on a 80-200 f/2.8. A 50mm will force you to get close which can cause the subject to get uncomfortable. If you have a 50-135 or 70-200 or 80-200 or even a cheap 70-300 I would use that. 300mm f/5.6 at the minimum focus distance will provide more than enough DOF.
01-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I've done a couple engagement shoots myself...and found the best resource for posing ideas, and other general ideas, was flickr. Try using the key word "engagement" and be prepared to check through lots of great shots (and some not so great).

Best advice...have fun!

c[_]
01-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Wedding Photographer - FM Forums

this site is dedicated to nikon and canon but it doesnt really matter. that is the wedding forum over there. go through that and you will be able to find some down-right bad-ass engagement stuff.

just remember to keep a smile on your face and feel free to whimp out and feel the love while you shoot. 8)
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wow, you guys are awesome!

Thanks! I'm going to bring a light and an umberlla with my wireless flash triggers. I'd rather do it naturally lit but we'll see how the lighting is that day.

i'll be ok with a 50mm, he's one of my best friends I have no issue getting close to them lol.

Last edited by Gaelen; 01-04-2010 at 03:50 PM.